• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam engines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I am shocking at driving them on railworks, i loose so much time it is unbelievable and i get in situations where they stop and crawl at 1-3 mph for about 5 miles no matter what i try.

Anyone got any advice on how to drive them?

(yes i did tutorials and yes i practise :( )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The trainman

Start of with the reverser at 75 forwards.
When you have released the breaks, open the throttel to about 45 to 50%.
As the train starts to move and you are about 10 mph, turn the reverser down to 65%.
When you are in cab mode, if you watch the drivers window at the bottom, you will see that the engine will move slightly this is an idication that you are pulling, if you see that then you will pick up the speed.
Now if you see the window drop back, move the reverser slightly and you will pick up the pulling again.
Keep doing this with the reverser, and you will soon be tramping along.
Oh and as you move the reverser down, when you pass 50% move the regulator up to ingreese the speed.

Crossover

Established Member
Also keep a close eye on your steam generation/usage guages. Use more steam than you are producing and you will not speed up.

Steam locos are something of a challenge, and that's with the automatic fireman on as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.