• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam lines with stock other than Mk 1 in regular service

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of the things I really like/love about Tanfield's carriage fleet, is the way they've restored them. Taking into account the "style" of operations they're portraying that of an industrial line/outfit. The fleet has been mostly restored with a "freelance" interior, some with compartments, others open style interiors. Two of the Brakes being converted former North Eastern Ballast brakes, keeping the Guards brake area as a seperate area and an oen saloon in the rest of the body.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
Also the South Devor Railway (the original Dart Valley Railway) has some GWR rolling stock - hopefully the rust holes in the toilet floor has been repaired! :oops:
I travelled in the GWR Brake Third Corridor the other week. Didn't need to used the toilet though! :D

Falcon1200

Established Member
Also the South Devor Railway (the original Dart Valley Railway) has some GWR rolling stock - hopefully the rust holes in the toilet floor has been repaired!

The coach involved in the South Devon Railway hole in the floor incident was actually a Mark 1 - TSO 4805 !

Possibly not what the OP was interested in, but the Dartmouth Steam Railway uses non-Mark 1 stock, in the shape of DMU trailer cars used as loco-hauled coaches.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
For a very obscure example, the Pallot Steam Museum in Jersey runs its demonstration track with a pair of NLR carriages.

AM9

Veteran Member
The coach involved in the South Devon Railway hole in the floor incident was actually a Mark 1 - TSO 4805 !

Possibly not what the OP was interested in, but the Dartmouth Steam Railway uses non-Mark 1 stock, in the shape of DMU trailer cars used as loco-hauled coaches.
Didn't one of those 'Dart Valley lines have a couple of Centenary coaches?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I assume that we are not including, say, the Ffestiniog railway from the list ;)

My faves would be the teak sets on the NYMR & SVR. Superb.

Bessie

The Didcot Railway Centre only runs GWR era carriages. They’ve just acquired another one from the NRM Shildon site

xotGD

Established Member
There is one Mark 2 on the KWVR - 14064. Not used in service. I saw something saying it is (was?) a support coach.

Rutland23

At Rocks by Rail, our passenger trains are made up of 2 out of 3 of the following.

Shark Ballast Brake van
Stanier 20t Brake van
Southern 20t Brake van

Regards

Ian

alexl92

Established Member
There is one Mark 2 on the KWVR - 14064. Not used in service. I saw something saying it is (was?) a support coach.
Possibly Bahamas' Support Coach. Probably on loan from WCRC.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the deeply padded comfortable seating of the BR Mk1 stock as much as the next…

They are the mainstay of most heritage lines, it seems, but for those who want to experience a diversity of rolling stock types, I thought it might be an idea to have a list of lines where you can travel in other stock.

From my own experience, the following have non-BR-Mk1 coaches in service.

Please feel free to list any others.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway
Bluebell Railway
Severn Valley Railway

Should it be of interest, the carriage fleet at the SVR is detailed on the SVR Wiki at https://www.svrwiki.com/Carriages

Ianigsy

The Nene Valley has various continental coaches.
The current repeats of Secret Army on Talking Pictures TV show how good use was made of their continental fleet and Wansford in particular.

Just to clarify that you will never have to travel in a Mark 1 on the IOWSR as it doesn't have any! No passenger stock is newer than 1924

341o2

Established Member
Swanage has 1381 Maunsell open third, Pullman observation car no 14, and two Bulleid carriages, 4365, semi open brake composite and 5761, composite. in service.

xotGD

Established Member
Just to note that this coming Sunday is the first of five "Vintage Train Sundays" at the KWVR.

There's a brass band too!

Perhaps they should buy a Pacer and have the Island's newest ever vehicle? :)
That would be the ''crumbling edge of quality'' as Sir Peter Parker once put it.:lol: One visitor said to me that she felt third class on the IOWSR was better than first class on the mainland. Indeed true of one TOC I can think of alas.

341o2

Established Member
Pullman car 14 has just returned to the Swanage Railway after spending some time with the Flying Scotsman, and it is hoped to be back in service later this year after some maintenance work

AY1975

Established Member
The Bluebell has a Bulleid rake
And a Metropolitan Railway rake, and various vintage Southern coaches.

Peak Rail has a really lovely old Midland Railway open third but unfortunately although it is sometimes included in the formation of their service trains they don't let passengers travel in it: it's always locked out of use. Presumably they think it's too precious.

The Midland Railway - Butterley also occasionally has vintage train weekends with trains of 100+ year old non-corridor coaches (can't remember which railway company) or they have done in the past.

DJ_K666

And a Metropolitan Railway rake, and various vintage Southern coaches.

Peak Rail has a really lovely old Midland Railway open third but unfortunately although it is sometimes included in the formation of their service trains they don't let passengers travel in it: it's always locked out of use. Presumably they think it's too precious.

The Midland Railway - Butterley also occasionally has vintage train weekends with trains of 100+ year old non-corridor coaches (can't remember which railway company) or they have done in the past.
Not to mention the largest collection of Pre-grouping stock outside the national collection. The best run up the line there was a members special in the Great Northern Directorscsaloon, all plush padded armchairs and a nice cup of tea to be had too, while steaming through the Sussex countryside.

Status
Not open for further replies.