• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam locomotive crashed on US preserved (Strasburg) railroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sniper

Established Member
It's alongside the North East corridor branch to Harrisburg, PA. As is not unusually for incidents in the States now, it was caught on a rail cam...

Quite something to be able to hear the live reaction from the footplate!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Sadly the yellow thing that looks like a jib of a crane does not line up with the buffer beam.

Smoke box door caved in but hopefully not reaching the tubes.

DelW

Established Member
"Trains" magazine's report:
I was surprised when I visited (and rode on) the Strasburg line that it operates entirely without fixed signalling, even when more than one train is operating. It seems to rely on radios comms and line of sight driving. I think that's quite common on US short lines, but Strasburg is unusual in having quite intensive passenger services, as well as handling local freight.

DelW

Established Member
475 is now back in service, presumably with a new smokebox door.

(Edit) Actually with a repaired smokebox door mounted on a new steel front plate:
SRC mechanics replaced the smokebox front with three-quarter-inch-thick steel plate, using the damaged item as a template. The smokebox door – the hinged round center of the smokebox front – likewise broke into shards, and Zeigler said, “We elected to braze-weld that. We put a reinforcing steel ring inside to hold it together.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.