• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam locos and signal sighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Fox

Really good example.
Plus (from somebody who has never been on a steam footplate) it's good to see the REALITY of how things go wrong (in the curious world of accident reports) brought to bear on mere opinions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
This seems a little pedantic. In any case, overhauled is a synonym for overtaken.

You’d be surprised how faint ground based tunnel signals can be. I’ve known them to be almost completely obscured by both steam from charters and diesel fumes from freight workings (to the extent of having to slow to a crawl when running on restrictive aspects).

Indeed. It’s also surprising how many locations are not fitted with TPWS.

No, it isn't. In the UK it is related to maintenance activities. The US uses it, but this isn't the US.

Running at low speed on restrictive aspects is hardly a danger - more a requirement! As you say, diesel fumes can be dense as well on occasions.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I was replying to another posters comment. If you look at the beginning of the thread I have already replied to the thread creators original post.
You may now stand down from your self appointed position of forum police officer.
There comes a point where it's simpler and quicker to remind posters of the OP rather than go running to the Mods.

Bromley boy

Established Member
No, it isn't. In the UK it is related to maintenance activities. The US uses it, but this isn't the US.

Overhaul is a perfectly acceptable British verb, also meaning overtake, according to the OED.

Running at low speed on restrictive aspects is hardly a danger - more a requirement! As you say, diesel fumes can be dense as well on occasions.

Slowing to a crawl is not a requirement of running on double yellows. Slowing to a crawl when you’re unable to see what aspect the next signal is displaying due to steam or diesel fumes is most certainly a requirement.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Sorry - huh?

My apologies, that's pretty garbled. What it should say was that in my opinion modern electric lamps on semaphores seem quite difficult to see at times, and I assume that was even worse when they were oil lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.