• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steve Wright to leave Radio 2 Afternoon.

Mikw

He's done well out of the Beeb over the decades, a pretty much constant prime time radio show, and they allowed him freedom when the commercial market was insisting on liner cards and short links, he kept doing the exact opposite, which in my book is welcome.

Supposed to be a nice guy too and a joy to work with.

Telling how they trust him enough to give him a few months to say goodbye to his show and not do a "D.L.T" - and that he's still going to be doing shows and podcasts for them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Train

Established Member
I can't really imagine Radio 2 without Steve Wright. Unlike many of the posters on here, I quite enjoyed his habit of singing over the ends of tracks - if only because he got the pitch slightly wrong so it improved my sense of pitch!
If Scott Mills is the person I assume he is from the descriptions given (i.e. person recently filling in on Popmaster) he definitely isn't my cup of tea, nor is his "play-list" - anything between about 1987 and 2015 I have absolutely no chance of knowing (and very little after the latter date).
I wonder how long it'll be before I start listening to Radio Three instead?

Jamiescott1

The problem with Steve wright is that the show has got stale. 3 hours with the only feature being factoids. The rest of the time he's telling us the news or what time Street lights get switched on in Manchester.
Go back 10 years and he had a quiz, ask elvis and listeners phoning in.
Serious jockin seems to be the highlight of his week.

Scott mills has been poor filling in for Ken but I think this is because he's doing Kens show with kens features. Scott on radio 1 and radio 5 when he does his own features is a brilliant listen

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The problem with Steve wright is that the show has got stale. 3 hours with the only feature being factoids. The rest of the time he's telling us the news or what time Street lights get switched on in Manchester.
Go back 10 years and he had a quiz, ask elvis and listeners phoning in.
Serious jockin seems to be the highlight of his week.

Scott mills has been poor filling in for Ken but I think this is because he's doing Kens show with kens features. Scott on radio 1 and radio 5 when he does his own features is a brilliant listen

There's also the celebrity interviews (and he does tend to get proper celebrities) and the non-stop oldies.

If Scott Mills could perhaps carry over Steve Wright's eclectic music mix - which, hard as it may be for the masters of Radio 2 to bear - does extend further back than 1986, then we might be on to something.

Jamiescott1

Forgot about the non stop oldies as they tend to be neither non stop (he talks over them or sings over them) or often particularly that old (songs from 2000s often).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Forgot about the non stop oldies as they tend to be neither non stop (he talks over them or sings over them) or often particularly that old (songs from 2000s often).

Makes a nice change from the over-play list though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, farewell to Wrighty.

You and Ken helped to get me through the pandemic. Excellent choice of music beyond the dreary R2 playlist. Hope Scott does as well (and includes songs from before 1980).

dk1

Veteran Member
Very emotional afternoon for me. Things will never be quite the same anymore.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I usually listen to Steve while working at home, off this week but I tuned in today as a farewell. It was a good balance of trying to be 'normal' but also him saying goodbye.
And I agree the comments made in the 5pm news were very fitting.

Jamiescott1

Massive improvement to afternoons on radio 2.
The show sounds fresh, not like Steve stuck in the 80s and the music selection is excellent

dk1

Veteran Member
The show sounds fresh, not like Steve stuck in the 80s and the music selection is excellent

Unfortunately I cannot say Im impressed with it at all. Only positive is Sara starting earlier & therefore an hour less of the new order.

ChrisC

Established Member
For anyone who thinks Radio 2 is skewing too young, it may be worth trying Boom Radio. It's on DAB as well across a lot of the UK.
Thanks for mentioning Boom Radio way back in July. I tried it and listen to it regularly now both at home and in the car. I won’t be going back to Radio 2 in a hurry.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I agree, we have Radio 2 on at work and it sounds good so far.
Seems very 90s/00s oriented though

Jamiescott1

I would prefer a few more guitar tracks but overall the playlist, presentation, features and presenter are all much better than what came before.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Must admit Scott Mills afternoon show is definitely better than I expected. His time standing in for Ken Bruce recently was rather poor, but he is making this slot into his own thing which seems good so far.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Can't say I've been impressed so far. Far too much 90s+ dance stuff. I quite like some music from that era, but there's been far too much that hasn't impressed me and the 'birthday song' phone in seems a bit rubbish too - at first I thought it would be a competition.

I actually didn't mind Scott Mills when he stood in for Ken Bruce. Maybe, having switched from Radio 1 to Radio 2 in the 90s, I'm now becoming too old for it and it's time to move on again.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Heard the new order for the first time yesterday.

Mills seems personable enough, however it was very much as though popular music began in 1980. The non-stop oldies slot used to introduce a bit of variety, as did even OJ's rock slot when he was filling in.

Overall, as suspected, too much like Radio 1 lite, which is clearly what the "yoof" obsessed BBC are going for.

dosxuk

Established Member

Mills seems personable enough, however it was very much as though popular music began in 1980. The non-stop oldies slot used to introduce a bit of variety, as did even OJ's rock slot when he was filling in.

Overall, as suspected, too much like Radio 1 lite, which is clearly what the "yoof" obsessed BBC are going for.

The people who really started listening to music in the 80s are getting on towards their 50s now. I'm not sure they can reliably be described as "yoof".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The whole point of Radio 2 is that Radio 1 listeners grow into it. So one would expect it to follow what people in their late 20s and 30s want.

317 forever

Established Member
Can't say I've been impressed so far. Far too much 90s+ dance stuff. I quite like some music from that era, but there's been far too much that hasn't impressed me and the 'birthday song' phone in seems a bit rubbish too - at first I thought it would be a competition.

I actually didn't mind Scott Mills when he stood in for Ken Bruce. Maybe, having switched from Radio 1 to Radio 2 in the 90s, I'm now becoming too old for it and it's time to move on again.
I similarly usually avoid Sounds of the 80s, as there is too much late 80s dance music. Disappointing as Gary Davies was my favourite Radio DJ at the time.

philthetube

Established Member
Radio two are in a can't win position, current listeners want to hear what they have always heard, and if radio 2 stays there the gap between 1&2 gets wider, they get no new ones and so slowly die.

Lisa Tarbuck is great listening on a Saturday evening.