• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Does anyone have any pictures of Stockport station before it's refurbishment in 2004?

I remember going to this station alot when I was younger, but can't remember what it used to look like. It would be a blast from the past to see some old pictures.

Thankyou :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
Crap photos, but this one is 2001ish.

Attachments

• Stockport.jpg
    Stockport.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 66

Gizmogle

Established Member
Well, there was no platform 0, and the entrancey section of the station was completely different (if it was even there at all?). That's mainly what I want pictures of cause I can't remember what it used to be like!

Coradia

Also there used to be track where that 'long white line' is as pictured on that photo (between the lines for platforms 2 and 3. Not sure if any trains ever used it though.

Darandio

Established Member
Found this quite interesting, not because I have been there but because of Thames Mersey and that webcam that doesn't seem to let you control it any more!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Lol, cheers Jordy. Never thought of checking Fotopic.

I still haven't managed to find any pictures of the entrance/booking office part of the station though.

metrocammel

Other than the centre tracks, which were removed in about 2001, the trackside bit of the station hasn't changed since electrification (as the 1962 pic shows). The only bits I can think of is the removal of the bays (bar one). The entrance was 'under construction' for several years. The old T/O (in 2002) was where it is now, but then, around 2003, it moved to a portacabin at the 'back' entrance of the station- then, in 2004/5, it moved back to it's original place. The entance was pretty much the same, except it was much darker, and didn't have the stairs leading up to what is now Platform 0.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah. I'm mainly just curious about the entrance. Didn't realise that the stairs were new(ish).

Gizmogle

Established Member
This post makes no sense now the previous post was deleted. Yah.

Last edited:

Callufrax

Frankly, I don't know why the centre through tracks were lifted. Doing so has reduced the flexibility of the station.

That's my 2 cents, anyhow.

Coradia

I remeber that portacabin at the back during the Rio era, also in terms of entrance changes, there are significantly less rail replacement coaches there then there used to be. :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.