• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stoke area problems 7th June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
Several Euston - Manchester trains were severely delayed this evening, some over 80 mins late and I noticed some Pendolinos were diverted via the Kidsgrove to Crewe line. RTT shows "Power supply problems" Does anyone know what exactly and where the problems were?

Another odd thing was an XC Voyager standing in Platform 5 at Crewe at 1900, empty but showing Manchester Piccadilly. They don't have anything through Crewe at that time do they?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GW43125

Established Member
VTWC twitter suggests the wires were either damaged or fell down.

Class 92

I believe the XC service was from Paignton that should have got to Manchester via Macclesfield but ended up being diverted and terminated at Crewe.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Another odd thing was an XC Voyager standing in Platform 5 at Crewe at 1900, empty but showing Manchester Piccadilly. They don't have anything through Crewe at that time do they?
1M58 1445 Bournemouth to Manchester appears to have travelled via Crewe and 1M93 1404 Paignton to Manchester aooears to have terminated at Crewe, and possibly others.

Too late now, but the map on OTT (OpenTrainTimes) would have shown the headcodes of any trains at Crewe.

Class 92

Out of interest, a fair few ATW services were terminated at Crewe which is fairly common during disruption and crews tend to change over there. The staff taking the train over to Manchester, I'm guessing they just end up not working the service and having a longer break between trains? Or do they get put onto another service instead?

Mugby

Established Member
So the problem must have been somewhere between Kidsgrove and Cheadle Hulme?

causton

Established Member
From Tyrell/JourneyCheck (complete with dodgy place names!)

CrossCountry said:
Crewe ECR report wires have tripped. Services northbound between Macclesfield - Manchester via Sytal & Alsaeger
----

Part of OLE handing down between points 5251/5250 (Cheadle Hulme North Jnc) reported by 1W64

UPDATE: Attempts currently being made to source road transport to run as a shuttle service (Northbound only) Stoke- Mac- Stockport.

UPDATE: Both north & southbound lines are now blocked, diversionary route via Sytal also blocked as well now due to a broken down Northern unit at Heald Green

GW43125

Established Member
And VT twitter now suggesting there is or has been an issue round Weedon, causing Northampton diverts.

6Gman

Established Member
From Tyrell/JourneyCheck (complete with dodgy place names!)

Got caught up in this last night. Was on 1808 Picc - Crewe; 10 late from Picc, 25 late by Cheadle Hulme, 50 late by Crewe!

If issue was at Cheadle Hulme North Jn then it would affect both Crewe and Stoke routes. Impression I got was that little, if anything, was moving northbound.

All a bit confused to be honest.

JamesP

Not a good week for this line, a one-under between Stockport and Manchester the very next day. Am actually sat on the 10:00 Euston-Manchester now, 40 min late..

I was on the train involved, the 0840 from Euston. Ended up 80 late into Piccadilly. The TM was very good, helpfully advertised Delay Repay and how to claim it which I've not always noticed in such circumstances previously.

jamess

I was on the train involved, the 0840 from Euston. Ended up 80 late into Piccadilly. The TM was very good, helpfully advertised Delay Repay and how to claim it which I've not always noticed in such circumstances previously.

1940 from Euston, which was booked Styal line, went via Stockport, due to Over head line probs on the airport line too!

Shrimper

Yeah, the wires came down in the Styal area as well, so that stuffed that up as a diversion option. Still down today it seems, Northern running their Piccadilly-Airport-Crewe services non stop between Piccadilly and Wilmslow.

craigybagel

Established Member
Out of interest, a fair few ATW services were terminated at Crewe which is fairly common during disruption and crews tend to change over there. The staff taking the train over to Manchester, I'm guessing they just end up not working the service and having a longer break between trains? Or do they get put onto another service instead?

Usually the former. If there is major disruption then they might get moved to cover other services if required but usually it's best to keep people as close to their own diagrams as possible, otherwise you may make things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.