• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stoke on Trent to Kidsgrove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolguy22468

I was waiting at Stoke-on-Trent station today and I noticed how when one train is late it has a knock on effect for the next hour or so, is it just me or is the line from Stoke south junction to Kidsgrove too overly congested and the the 3 platformed station at Stoke-on-Trent is unable to cope with the 6 trains per hour in each direction currently using platforms 1 and 2.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
I was waiting at Stoke-on-Trent station today and I noticed how when one train is late it has a knock on effect for the next hour or so, is it just me or is the line from Stoke south junction to Kidsgrove too overly congested and the the 3 platformed station at Stoke-on-Trent is unable to cope with the 6 trains per hour in each direction currently using platforms 1 and 2.

More of a case of 4 trains within 20 mins of each other. Youi have the EMT to Crewe then W10 mins later XC to picc then 5 mins later the Virgin to Picc then 3 minutes after that the Northern Stopper. Has been happening for years. Even when we turned back at Macc we had the same problem

Coolguy22468

More of a case of 4 trains within 20 mins of each other. Youi have the EMT to Crewe then W10 mins later XC to picc then 5 mins later the Virgin to Picc then 3 minutes after that the Northern Stopper. Has been happening for years. Even when we turned back at Macc we had the same problem

I suppose it eases a bit after Kidsgrove as you have the London Midland and the East Midlands Trains diverging to Crewe there.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I was on a Derby - Crewe service recently. It should have departed Stoke at xx34, but had been delayed by station overtime en route, arising from gross overcrowding of a single 153. In consequence, the Northern 323 (due xx42) was stopped outside the station, waiting access to platform 3. Behind it was a XC Voyager, due Stoke xx43.

Similar problems occur elsewhere. I have seen a Barrow - Lancaster service delayed by as much as 10 to 20 mins. because the ***** at the DfT thought that a single Class 153 was adequate for 100+ passengers.

Coolguy22468

Realistically they need another through platform there, apart from Wakefield Westgate I can't think of any station that has the amount of trains Stoke-on-Trent has that has only 2 through platforms.

martinsh

Established Member
Realistically they need another through platform there, apart from Wakefield Westgate I can't think of any station that has the amount of trains Stoke-on-Trent has that has only 2 through platforms.

Chelmsford ??

But I agree another platform would be useful at Stoke - and there's room if they remove the executive car park !

Tomnick

Established Member
I doubt removal of the through line on the Up made the slightest bit of difference - how often (if ever) was it used whilst the Up platform was occupied? There's not really any regular scope for 'overtaking' moves, as the dwell time's not sufficient. If anything, it probably helped by speeding up the approach of Up stopping trains.

David10

Has been a long time I believe since any passenger services operated through Stoke without calling. Was removed during the extension of the platform for 11 car Pendos I believe.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Has been a long time I believe since any passenger services operated through Stoke without calling. Was removed during the extension of the platform for 11 car Pendos I believe.

The 0700 MAN - EUS (Mon-Fri) passes through Stoke without stopping. That's the only passenger service I'm aware of that does though.

calc7

Established Member
Does that train run via Crewe? I read that it is quicker that way even though its longer.

I've used it a few times and it's always gone via SOT. Though lack of stops south of Stockport means it can go either way if there's problems on the Stoke line.

I reckon non-stop Stockport-Euston there's only a couple of minutes in it whichever route you use, anyway; evidenced by the off-peak EUS-MAN journey times:
00 EUS-SOT-MAC-SPT-MAN 2h7m
20 EUS-MKC-SOT-SPT-MAN 2h8m
40 EUS-CRE-WML-SPT-MAN 2h9m

Status
Not open for further replies.