• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopping short at traffic lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if this has always been commonplace - however since 2020 I've noticed that, at traffic lights, more and more drivers are stopping short of the white line at traffic lights. If at the front of a queue, I was always taught to pull up at the white line, only stopping short where a cycle box exists. Is this not the correct behaviour?

It's incredibly frustrating at junctions with a right-turn lane signalled separately. There's instances where I have been prevented from accessing a right turn, due to one or several vehicles stopped short in the forward direction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If you pull up and stop too close to the white line at red traffic lights, in certain vehicles, you can't then always easily see when the lights have changed back to green, particularly so if it's say a left turn only arrow that's just been illuminated, and straight ahead is still showing red.

DelW

Established Member
I'm not sure if this has always been commonplace - however since 2020 I've noticed that, at traffic lights, more and more drivers are stopping short of the white line at traffic lights. If at the front of a queue, I was always taught to pull up at the white line, only stopping short where a cycle box exists. Is this not the correct behaviour?

It's incredibly frustrating at junctions with a right-turn lane signalled separately. There's instances where I have been prevented from accessing a right turn, due to one or several vehicles stopped short in the forward direction.
I think you're correct to pull up to the line (or the back of the cycle box). The induction loops* which detect the presence of waiting traffic are normally close to the stop line, so by stopping short, the signal controller may not be made aware of a queue building up until it reaches a loop further back (if indeed there is a second one at all). So stopping short is likely to delay the green phase starting.

For similar reasons it's generally better to drive up to temporary traffic lights reasonably briskly. These may use microwave detectors which may not react to a vehicle approaching too slowly.

*(You can often see where they are by the cut marks in the surface from when they were installed).

Basil Jet

On Moderation

A couple of swift beeps is called for, or flashing lights after dark.

SargeNpton

Established Member

Increasingly common behaviour, which I think is due to modern car design. In my car the aerodynamics of the bodywork mean that I can't see the extremities of the car, either ahead or behind.

For those without the spatial awareness of where the hidden bits of the car are, they tend to overcompensate at lights and in traffic queues, just to ensure that they are not over the white line or not about to bump into the car in front.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Don't forget being just over the white line is technically jumping the lights and you can be done for it (does being on the line also count?), i understand why people play it safe if they arn't sure.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Increasingly common behaviour, which I think is due to modern car design. In my car the aerodynamics of the bodywork mean that I can't see the extremities of the car, either ahead or behind.

For those without the spatial awareness of where the hidden bits of the car are, they tend to overcompensate at lights and in traffic queues, just to ensure that they are not over the white line or not about to bump into the car in front.
Often by at least half a car length and sometimes more!

Ken H

On Moderation
Don't forget being just over the white line is technically jumping the lights and you can be done for it (does being on the line also count?), i understand why people play it safe if they arn't sure.
people do it at stop/give way junctions too. how they can see properly to see when its safe to pull out I dont know.

Efini92

Established Member
One that annoys me is people who swing out before making a turn, when they could easily have just turned the steering wheel in the direction they needed to go.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Not just aerodynamics. A sloping front is much less damaging if hitting a pedestrian or cyclist.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
One that annoys me is people who swing out before making a turn, when they could easily have just turned the steering wheel in the direction they needed to go.
Yes, people think they're driving an articulated lorry sometimes. A bit mad!

PeterC

Established Member
And that inconveniences you how?

Howardh

Established Member
Modern cars with their higher bonnets make judging clearances a lot harder. Its taken me a while to adjust to my new one to be honest.
My driving lessons were in a Ford Zephyr 6 where the bonnet alone seemed longer that the rest of the car! Had to learn how to judge distances very quickly!! Not sure, but I think the engine also included the spare wheel in there - anyone??

birchesgreen

Established Member
My driving lessons were in a Ford Zephyr 6 where the bonnet alone seemed longer that the rest of the car! Had to learn how to judge distances very quickly!! Not sure, but I think the engine also included the spare wheel in there - anyone??
My first car (a Lada) had a long bonnet too though i forgot the acquired skills rather quickly when i moved to smaller nosed cars. The bonnet was long because the engine was longitudinal not transverse.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Better that they stop (and apply the handbrake and put gear in neutral) comfortably behind the line. Especially when "people" (walkers, cyclists) want to cross.

I can not see anything "incredibly frustrating" in a few seconds delay, or even in a delay of a whole light sequence (2 minutes?)

birchesgreen

Established Member
Better that they stop (and apply the handbrake and put gear in neutral) comfortably behind the line. Especially when "people" (walkers, cyclists) want to cross.

I can not see anything "incredibly frustrating" in a few seconds delay, or even in a delay of a whole light sequence (2 minutes?)
I dunno some people seem to hate wasting even a single second, a few months ago someone made a fairly risky overtake of me over a canal bridge (so no visibiity what was coming the other way) as i was "only" going at the speed limit. They then, a few 100m ahead, drove into and parked in a company car park. They literally got there about 5 or 6 seconds earlier than if they hadn't overtaken me. Time is money obviously. :lol:

PeterC

Established Member
My first car (a Lada) had a long bonnet too though i forgot the acquired skills rather quickly when i moved to smaller nosed cars. The bonnet was long because the engine was longitudinal not transverse.
With the advantage that there was a lot of empty space and it was fairly easy to get at most components. The disadvantage was the frequency with which you needed access.

DelW

Established Member
Mark 4 Zephyrs and Zodiacs had very long bonnets but short V4 or V6 engines, which meant lots of unused space up front. I believe they did have their spare wheels mounted in front of the engine.

I once owned a mark 1 Capri (also a long bonnet) with the 2 litre V4 engine. The radiator was about two feet back from the grille, with nothing but some sheet metal filling the empty space.

jfollows

Established Member
I don't stop short when I'm at the front of the queue for traffic lights, but if I'm in the queue then I deliberately leave a slight gap between myself and the car in front. It gives me a slight extra safety zone if someone drives into the back of me.

NoRoute

I'm sure at least part of this is due to the very poor state of road markings and our roads in general, there's a lot of traffic lights where the condition is so poor that stopping is an exercise is trying to determine where the white line originally was.

philthetube

Established Member
I once rode in a car with a bloke who was a bus driver and hardly ever drove small vehicles, he was a nightmare for this,
, correct, I bet they burnt well!!!

Bikeman78

Established Member
Yes I can think of a junction like this. The lights normally change quite quickly when someone want to turn right. One day I was very surprised to see a queue of about 20 vehicles. After a few seconds I got bored and moved into the next lane and up to the front of the queue. The leading car had stopped about five metres short, so they would never change. I pointed this out to the driver and then nipped in front of him and the lights changed straightaway.

D365

Veteran Member
The frustration is when I want to access a right turn lane (green), but am stuck behind cars in the "straight ahead" lanes with car-lengths between each other.

JohnMcL7

The exact law is fairly vague, it's section 36 of the Road Traffic Act:

, a person driving or propelling a vehicle who fails to comply with the indication given by the sign is guilty of an offence

In practice the sensors for red light cameras are a small distance away from the stop line so they won't be triggered by stopping on or just over the line and I've followed a motoring legal forum for a while (PePiPoo) and not seen anyone stopped by the police for being slightly over the line. Also if the vehicle is stationary over the line while the light is red, no offence is committed as long as the light wasn't red when the line was crossed.

birchesgreen

Established Member
In practice the sensors for red light cameras are a small distance away from the stop line so they won't be triggered by stopping on or just over the line and I've followed a motoring legal forum for a while (PePiPoo) and not seen anyone stopped by the police for being slightly over the line. Also if the vehicle is stationary over the line while the light is red, no offence is committed as long as the light wasn't red when the line was crossed.
I know someone who was prosecuted for moving slightly over the line (they edged forward to let an ambulance through). Maybe rare but can happen.

Pugwash

The frustration is when I want to access a right turn lane (green), but am stuck behind cars in the "straight ahead" lanes with car-lengths between each other.
I am of the opinion if someone wants to pay for my car, VED and Insurance then they can tell me how to drive, until that point as long as it is within the law and Highway Code it is fine.

D365

Veteran Member
I am of the opinion if someone wants to pay for my car, VED and Insurance then they can tell me how to drive, until that point as long as it is within the law and Highway Code it is fine.
Fair enough. I’m not telling anyone how they should be driving. Just trying to understand the mindset of why >car-length gaps have seemingly now become necessary (and not in the past).

Status
Not open for further replies.