• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stored mk2s and mk3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hstmatt

Hello i was wonering is there still any stored ex virgin mk3s or mk2s stored at oxley in wolverhampton,and also is there still some ex anglia mk2s at norwich crown point.Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Short answer - no. The last vehicles to leave Oxley were a few stragglers owned by DRS, which moved to Crewe and eventually ended up at the Epping Ongar Railway. The only coaches out of use at Norwich including a DVT owned by Cargo-D but never collected before the company went into administration.

Plenty of ex Virgin Mk2's and 3's stored at Long Marston, along with a load of locos, DVT's, and other bits of railway that's been left to rot.

Yew

Established Member
Surely they could be used on some medium distance routes? stuff that might get 2x158's make a rake of 5 coaches(with a DVT or DBSO) and some form of loco (maybe a 67?) and you are away

then again, No doubt the DaFT would want to inspect the plans first

anthony263

Established Member
Surely they could be used on some medium distance routes? stuff that might get 2x158's make a rake of 5 coaches(with a DVT or DBSO) and some form of loco (maybe a 67?) and you are away

I certainly wouldnt mind them working on the Manchester- Cardiff - Milford Haven route especially if it will help cut overcrowding and release some class 175's to provide extra capacity on other routes.

theblackwatch

Established Member
You'd be surprised how derelict some of those stored carriages are...

That's correct, many of them haven't run for years (ex VWC and VXC) and would probably need a good five figure sum spending on them just to make them presentable. WCRC have recently bought 20 from Eastleigh/Kineton, I would assume they were probably the best ones.

Yew

Established Member
You'd be surprised how derelict some of those stored carriages are...

Mechanically or Aesthetically.And if aesthetically, are we talking about a C3 or C6 standards of refurb?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haven't a lot of these stored coaches (at least the Mk3s) been stripped for parts which would make it even more complicated to bring them back into service?

jonhewes

I noticed that there were a lot of MKIIs (including some IC swallow liveried examples) in store at Eastleigh works when I attended the open day there two years ago.

As there is obviously little perceived need/desire to use them again, why are they being stored? Playing devils advocate, it must be fairly costly to store them, why not scrap them?

Yew

Established Member
I noticed that there were a lot of MKIIs (including some IC swallow liveried examples) in store at Eastleigh works when I attended the open day there two years ago.

As there is obviously little perceived need/desire to use them again, why are they being stored? Playing devils advocate, it must be fairly costly to store them, why not scrap them?

Spares? and also its probably not that much, since we have loads of spare track lying around

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Why would this be practical when there are much newer trains already running those routes, which don't need heaps of money spent on them to get them running?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oh for the days when they could use a couple of loco hauled rakes to alleviate peak time crowding up here :(

Yew

Established Member
Why would this be practical when there are much newer trains already running those routes, which don't need heaps of money spent on them to get them running?

That dont have enough capacity, and could be better utilized elsewhere

theblackwatch

Established Member

Many of them have now been scrapped, nine were purchased by WCRC (the ones I mentioned earlier in this thread) and a few have gone for preservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.