• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Doris Thursday 23rd - Major disruption on some routes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philjo

Established Member
Got on the 15:22 kings cross to Peterborough service - left on time. Only gn train on the board. Moving slowly on fast line - approaching WGC about 50 mins after leaving kings cross. Went past man walking with chainsaw on slow line near welham green.

tsr

Established Member
Lines to reopen shortly at Streatham North Jn.

Reopened - and I'm now advised there are no further blockages on the SN network at this time.

Got on the 15:22 kings cross to Peterborough service - left on time. Only gn train on the board. Moving slowly on fast line - approaching WGC about 50 mins after leaving kings cross. Went past man walking with chainsaw on slow line near welham green.

The apocalypse has arrived. GTR apologises for the delay.

Searle

Established Member

That's always a relief :lol:

I take back my comment about the hertford loop being indestructible, my train was the last one through alexandra palace, and it left Finsbury Park 4 hours ago :lol:

Saint66

A video on the BBC News Live updates page on Doris shows that the tree which caught the OHLE at Ware caused a fairly significant fire.

boxy321

I bought 2 tickets for today: COV-EUS and back. Told that VT will accept tickets tomorrow before 2pm. What about coming back (20:43)? They can't take you one way and not bring you back.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
10:51 EDB Preston turned back at Lancaster with pax decamped onto the 12:51x EDB, formed voyager vice 390 and sardeen conditions. As of 16:32 still sat at Lancaster. Somehow doubt Il get to bash 37s and 68s in Anglia now!

danpick

1Y82 is worse just passed Huntingdon 218L, and was in PBO for 165 minutes, it should've left KGX 140 minutes ago as 1S18,1F18 was tried, that's cancelled also....

This service has finally arrived at KGX 6 and a half hours after leaving York, 253 minutes late (4 hours 13 minutes).......

Darandio

Established Member
I bought 2 tickets for today: COV-EUS and back. Told that VT will accept tickets tomorrow before 2pm. What about coming back (20:43)? They can't take you one way and not bring you back.

Well, I would have said to ask them directly. Then I saw you already had and decided to be a smartarse. I wouldn't answer you either.

You do know they are absolutely inundated?

boxy321

Smartarse? I've tried and tried to get answers both at the station and online. Nothing. Can I use my darn tickets or not? Yes, I know they're busy, but 2pm lockdown, what's that about? I asked a simple question, and if Virgin can't handle it, not my problem.

Qwerty133

Established Member
@LondonMidland (Twitter) said:
You may find out website is currently running slow - we are aware & working to fix this problem. Updates when available
LM also experiencing website issues, presumably due to the higher than normal demand

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Smartarse? I've tried and tried to get answers both at the station and online. Nothing. Can I use my darn tickets or not? Yes, I know they're busy, but 2pm lockdown, what's that about? I asked a simple question, and if Virgin can't handle it, not my problem.

And you are one of thousands seeking answers, i'm not sure what they are supposed to do.

I appreciate it's a pretty important question, but it's way down the pecking order. There are people that need to get home now and later this evening, some may even be stranded.

Qwerty133

Established Member

Leaving the Friday evening peak when trains are already full and standing free from additional passengers. The lifting of restrictions isn't designed to enable day trips to be moved back a day but rather getting those who can't get home today back home. People wanting to make day trips are best of getting a full refund which is available on all tickets in these circumstances and rescheduling for in a few weeks.

danpick

Has there been a single departure from Euston to Manchester since 11am?

No, last one out was the 10:40, which has been sat on Crewe Platform 12 for just under 2 hours.

The 10:20 last reported over 2 hours ago at Colwich...

10:00 was cancelled. As was 9:00.

9:40 last reported at Rugby at 13:35 after turning back South....

9:20 last reported at Rugby Trent Valley at 11:32....

The 8:40 made it to Manchester 104L...

Darandio

Established Member
No, last one out was the 10:40, which has been sat on Crewe Platform 12 for just under 2 hours.

The 10:20 last reported over 2 hours ago at Colwich...

10:00 was cancelled. As was 9:00.

9:20 last reported at Rugby Trent Valley at 11:32....

The 8:40 made it to Manchester 104L...

Unsurprisingly, the ones bound for Scotland have made for grim reading.

The 7.30 made it to Glasgow Central 60 late.

The 8:30 made it there 203 late.

But more interestingly, the one in between those two, the 07:43.........it's still soldiering on as I type. :eek: 236 down at Cambuslang.

The 9.30 then follows, 268 down at Penrith.

Last edited:

mrmartin

Looks like some stuff is moving? My dads train is currently 323m delayed, just leaving crewe now.

boxy321

End of angry please.

I simply wanted to know what would happen if I used an advance the day after, when Virgin say, DO NOT TRAVEL TODAY. If I try and use my ticket tomorrow, nobody could tell me what would happen after 2pm on my return journey. Some clear rules would help things as I know they don't want to annoy the 1st class season ticket holders from Euston on a Friday.

Am I supposed to use LM?, walk or what?

All Line Rover

Established Member

The 09:40 seemed to reverse at Nuneaton. One hopes that the 10:40 made an additional call at Nuneaton to allow passengers on the 09:40 to transfer!

G0ORC

..and what about the MML.

Does anyone know if there are any prospects of any services out of St. Pancras to the East Mids tonight?

I see all lines still blocked at Harpenden with after a tree on fire on the overheads...

danpick

Unsurprisingly, the ones bound for Scotland have made for grim reading.

The 7.30 made it to Glasgow Central 60 late.

The 8:30 made it there 203 late.

But more interestingly, the one in between those two, the 07:43.........it's still soldiering on as I type. :eek: 236 down at Cambuslang.

The 9.30 then follows, 268 down at Penrith.

1B52 will arrive very soon - was due to go back out on 9S85 (15:43 to Glasgow Central), next train in will 9T53 from Preston, apparently will arrive before 19:00......

Qwerty133

Established Member
End of angry please.

I simply wanted to know what would happen if I used an advance the day after, when Virgin say, DO NOT TRAVEL TODAY. If I try and use my ticket tomorrow, nobody could tell me what would happen after 2pm on my return journey. Some clear rules would help things as I know they don't want to annoy the 1st class season ticket holders from Euston on a Friday.

Am I supposed to use LM?, walk or what?

The best thing you can do is either not travel at all and get a refund or travel both ways on Saturday as VT have said todays tickets are valid at any time on Saturday. If you tried to use your ticket after 2pm tomorrow you'd either be refused travel or charged for a new anytime single depending on where the ticket check took place.
There simply isn't the capacity to allow people who were meant to travelling both ways today make the trip tomorrow instead, as Friday's are busier than Thursdays and some people are stranded away from home, and transporting them is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.