• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Franklin - Further weather disruption possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoneking

SWR at national rail enquiries and local departure boards (Epsom) were showing all trains cancelled as at 07.00. However, this was wrong as I got the late-running 06.49 from Waterloo to Guildford via Epsom. I also saw a train at Effingham Junction going in other direction virtually empty, it was showing as cancelled as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Truly bizarre stuff on SWR today. Trains are running. Apps say everything is cancelled. The team on SWR twitter don’t appear to know trains are running (endless copying and pasting of ‘don’t travel’ etc in response to straight questions around ‘are trains running from x to y’. The tech fault around the apps, ok, but not to appear to know your trains are running??

I have got on a via Cobham train this morning, ran as scheduled, and have just got to City Airport…there are trains running

This is deliberate, message went out earlier this morning internally that journey planners would show all trains a cancelled and only the CIS screens on platforms would show trains that are running. Currently a wessex wide code black in place with the advice not to travel. NR and the TOCs want to reduce the number of passengers who will potentially get stranded. This is day 4 of this for us, staff are absolutely exhausted and are stretched to the limit.

Bayum

Established Member
What storm are we on at the moment? Wind has been horrendous before Franklin is even here!

mike57

Established Member
There seems to be a problem north of Bridlington. First service towards Scarborough turned at Hunmanby to return south, so far nothing else has made it north of Bridlington. I would assume debris or a tree on the line judging by winds locally

Peterthegreat

Established Member
There seems to be a problem north of Bridlington. First service towards Scarborough turned at Hunmanby to return south, so far nothing else has made it north of Bridlington. I would assume debris or a tree on the line judging by winds locally
Northern reporting tree on the line between Hunmanby and Scarborough.

I’ve just driven past the derailment site. There are maybe 12 NR workers at the very front wheels, then maybe six or more along the rest of the train.

Interestingly, videos from the time it happened show flashing lights at the front of the train. Is this an emergency feature to warn oncoming trains of its derailment?

Yes, first part of the drivers emergency procedure. Hazards lights to warn on coming trains then the REC button followed by the emergency call procedure

Djgr

Established Member
I have a bit of a trip planned (and paid for) for today and tomorrow. Anyone looking at the Transport for Wales websites would think 'no chance', but does anyone know what the situation is on the ground ?

Today I'm planning to go from Selby to Leeds, Leeds to Chester, Chester to Blaenau Ffestiniog and then bus over to Porthmadog.

Tomorrow the plan is to go from Porthmadog to Birmingham New Street, and then back to York.

Is this doomed to failure, or just going to involve a bit of adventure along the way ?
Blaenau Ffestiniog has been bustituted for yonks. If it is not floods it's storms. If the weather is nice, the staff have the snuffles or there just aren't any.

dk1

Veteran Member
Blaenau Ffestiniog has been bustituted for yonks. If it is not floods it's storms. If the weather is nice, the staff have the snuffles or there just aren't any.
It’s always been like that with the Blaenau branch.

thejuggler

I have a bit of a trip planned (and paid for) for today and tomorrow. Anyone looking at the Transport for Wales websites would think 'no chance', but does anyone know what the situation is on the ground ?

Today I'm planning to go from Selby to Leeds, Leeds to Chester, Chester to Blaenau Ffestiniog and then bus over to Porthmadog.

Tomorrow the plan is to go from Porthmadog to Birmingham New Street, and then back to York.

Is this doomed to failure, or just going to involve a bit of adventure along the way ?

Northern advice is do not travel. Looking at the situation this is probably one to be followed.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It is Franklin !!

It landed last night in Ireland and is supposed to leave UK shores midday-ish.

It’s certainly easy to get confused! It some places it’s been non-stop awful weather for days, which has certainly hampered recovery. First time ever that there’s been 3 named storms in a week.

TheGarner

bramling

Veteran Member
It’s certainly easy to get confused! It some places it’s been non-stop awful weather for days, which has certainly hampered recovery. First time ever that there’s been 3 named storms in a week.

Weather has been awful every day I’ve been off work for several weeks now. Even worse in northern parts. Totally sick of it!

syorksdeano

Following the previous storms, train companies were saying tickets for 18th and 19th are valid until today.

Given nothing is really moving and the advice is do not travel, will train companies be changing that date, otherwise that's going to cause all sorts of problems

Meole

Rotherham Central under water, line impassable, damage to ballast etc expected to keep it closed for sometime.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Truly bizarre stuff on SWR today. Trains are running. Apps say everything is cancelled. The team on SWR twitter don’t appear to know trains are running (endless copying and pasting of ‘don’t travel’ etc in response to straight questions around ‘are trains running from x to y’. The tech fault around the apps, ok, but not to appear to know your trains are running??

I have got on a via Cobham train this morning, ran as scheduled, and have just got to City Airport…there are trains running
This is what they say online
South Western Railway are operating services on most routes today, but still face challenging weather conditions across the network. A Met Office yellow weather warning is in place for Storm Franklin until the end of Monday. South Western Railway are urging customers not to travel.

Storm Franklin will cause disruption to the South Western Railway network today:

• 50mph speed limit for safety will cause delays and cancellations
  • High level of incidents anticipated across the network
  • You are strongly advised to consider whether your journey is essential and make other plans if you can

No reference of a tech fault.

It is at least stating that trains to Farnham are running when you go to the live departure board

The 4.58 Reading to Redhill arrived in Redhill ln time. Does this mean that line is a slow speed or the 50 mph restriction hadn't come into force at this point

This is deliberate, message went out earlier this morning internally that journey planners would show all trains a cancelled and only the CIS screens on platforms would show trains that are running. Currently a wessex wide code black in place with the advice not to travel. NR and the TOCs want to reduce the number of passengers who will potentially get stranded. This is day 4 of this for us, staff are absolutely exhausted and are stretched to the limit.
But it seems not to have affected Guildford fo Farnham line, which is showing as running.

I am surprised they didn't try to run fewer services today, as Great Western Railway is doing.

Also companies like SouthEastern were saying yesterday not to travel but SWR were just saying please consider if your journey is necessary. They do say do not travel now though.

Last edited:

brick60000

This is probably more relevant to Friday than today - 4O21 was cancelled at Whitehouse Jnc just south of Stafford on Friday at about 11am. It looks to still be there. Does any have any more information why? Must be quite unusual!

CHAPS2034

Can't see it mentioned but Northern has basically cancelled all services in the North West this morning:
https://twitter.com/northernassist/status/1495683125057404929
My local weather station which is located between Cheadle Hulme and Handforth recorded a gust of 61mph this morning just after 7am. This is about 10mph faster than anything recorded during Eunice, so unsurprising there is disruption

Tree on the line and flooding between the Airport and Piccadilly, tree on the line near Macclesfield and at Rose Hill are the ones reported on NRE

Howardh

Established Member
Trees galore down in Greater Manchester. Lines blocked all around the area.
Northern have cancelled all trains until 10.30am at the earliest.

From their twitter;
Due to the severe weather and numerous incidents, caused by #StormFranklin, we will be terminating all services in the North West. No further trains until at least 10:30, and this might be extended. Do not attempt to travel, do not head to stations as there are no alternatives.

LowLevel

Established Member
Various issues on the East Mids patch. Trees down in several places, high river levels at Derby North, a route indicator has been snapped off a signal by high winds at Sleaford North and Loughborough platform 2 is shut presumably because of the risk of damage from the canopy.

bramling

Veteran Member
Various issues on the East Mids patch. Trees down in several places, high river levels at Derby North, a route indicator has been snapped off a signal by high winds at Sleaford North and Loughborough platform 2 is shut presumably because of the risk of damage from the canopy.

GN side of GTR seems to be, just about, holding up. All 9Sxx Thameslink (Three Bridges-Cambridge) services are cancelled which is presumably pre-planned, however most other services are running, though with some delays of up to 30 minutes for some services. Kings Lynn to Cambridge is running as a shuttle.

Given the winds here are pretty nasty (the gusts aren’t as strong as Friday, but there are more of them) this isn’t a bad performance, however with the forecast showing these conditions sustained til at least the early afternoon here I’d be surprised if things hold out completely unscathed.

Nature is certainly packing us a punch at the moment.

I'm going from Lancaster to Birmingham this morning on the 10.57, currently showing as running 6 minutes late from Edinburgh.

Djgr

Established Member
The Blaenau branch actually had its trains reinstated last Monday
Certainly nothing today or yesterday as I was driving through. Nor the Cambrian Coast.

On the other hand I enjoyed a great trip on the Talyllyn railway yesterday!

Jimini

Established Member
XC / GWR around Banbury / Reading — very leisurely pace today. Assuming temporary speed restriction. Even managed three brews between Brum and Reading!

Bayum

Established Member
It is Franklin !!

It landed last night in Ireland and is supposed to leave UK shores midday-ish.
I only ask because it’s not stopped being windy where I am. The weather last night and this morning was atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.