• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Isha may affect your journey in parts of England, Scotland and Wales on Sunday 21 and Monday 22 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon1200

Established Member
I think it’s also cheaper for them to make an attempt and divert rather than outright cancel the flight.

Unless the wind speeds are consistently above the limits for the aircraft (which are reasonably high) for a sustained period then all they need is a few minutes lull between gusts to make an approach and land.

Thanks for the info. In the event the plane might have landed much further away from Glasgow than Liverpool!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
Anyone know where the Settle/Carlisle line is flooded? The classic place is the aqueduct just south of Taitlands Tunnel just south of Stainforth. Or is it somewhere else? Can a partial service not be run - Settle Jct - Ribblehead for instance?

Ianigsy

I was wondering about Preston's roof, there hasn't been any reports overnight of it coming down from what I can see but I'm travelling there later so knowing my luck, it'll fall down as I'm approaching the station o_O.
Just changed at Preston and it seemed breezy but otherwise OK - just as well as a Glasgow bound Pendolino arrived and terminated at around 1240 to form a reinstated 1318 back to Euston.

londonmidland

Established Member
I reckon we’ll need a new thread for Storm Jocelyn when the impacts start to show. Could be looking at more disruption for ScotRail, as well as for some northern areas.

al78

Established Member
Designated Storm 'Jocelyn'. Wind and/or rain related yellow weather warnings issued (the worst of the weather expected Tuesday/Wednesday, as @adc82140 has just mentioned) with a varying impact depending on locality, but doesn't really affect London, so possibly the media won't be particularly all that fussed.
Yesterday's storm was worse in the northern half of the UK and there is plenty of media coverage but given London has a higher population density, a saturated transport network with little to no resilience and more expensive stuff to get damaged, media coverage will tend to focus on impacts there. It is magnitude of impacts that matter rather than location as to whether something is newsworthy.

al78

Established Member
Though thus far it's only a yellow warning which is far less severe.
The state of the infrastructure and resilience of the UK's rail network is so poor that a yellow warning event is sufficient to cause significant disruption if it impacts the right places.

Benjwri

Established Member
The state of the infrastructure and resilience of the UK's rail network is so poor that a yellow warning event is sufficient to cause significant disruption if it impacts the right places.
I hardly think it can be blamed on network resilience that people's trampolines and even garden sheds blew onto the line. Short of razing everything within 500m of the railway lines, there's nothing the railway can do. The purpose of the warnings not to travel is to avoid people criticising the railways when they can't get home because this has happened, as has happened in the past.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Thanks for the info. In the event the plane might have landed much further away from Glasgow than Liverpool!
No worries, out of seven Ryanair flights to come into Edinburgh, only 3 landed, purely because of a lull in gusts.

Re the railways, i’m currently in Glasgow Central attempting to get to Ayrshire. I aimed for the 13:15 Glasgow to Ardrossan Harbour service which was platformed but then cancelled one minute before departure.

I’ve not seen Glasgow Central this quiet. There is only a pair of 385s, a 156, last nights Sleeper and a 380 here.

Services to Kilmarnock and Prestwick look to have been reinstated, the 13:30 Glasgow to Prestwick was showing as cancelled but has been reinstated.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What seems strange to me is that planes were still heading to airports at the height of the storm and then finding landing impossible. do the airlines not pro-actively monitor wind speeds and react accordingly?
surely it is to do with the fact the plane only needs a short drop/window in the wind speeds to make the landing. If the wind drops they can zoom in and land. if not they divert.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A Krakow-Bristol was diverted onwards to Edinburgh before the wind in Edinburgh got a bit more sporty.
That’s interesting. I’m doing Wroclaw Bristol in an hour - sat at the airport now enjoying Polish cocktail prices. To be honest, I’d have liked a free trip to Edinburgh included :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
how resilient does the network need to be to stop a tampompaline from blowing into the OHLE from 3 streets away or a greenhouse landing on the track? ( as I think happened last night) it is hard to keep passengers safe when your train is stuck for hours in the middle of nowhere because the wires are down or a tree is wedged under the power unit!

There was talk above about roads and how they cope: They should try coping when the power source for all the vehicles is wrapped around a tree at Junction 16 of the M1!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yes, but if the wind doesn't drop they then have to divert to, well, anywhere that can accept them, which, as we have seen, can be a long, long way from where they were supposed to be! A calculated risk I suppose.
guess so - they must have rules/parameters within which to make such decisions. I have been on some flights with ropey weather associated landings/take offs ( one from Glasgow in similar circumstances ) so perhaps it sits with the pilot

Essan

Issues now on the Cotwold line - possibly storm related. Track inspection between Moreton and Honeybourne (I'm told the track has "sunk").

QueensCurve

Established Member
This isn't true as the compensation payment provisions the EU provided were brought into UK law and have not (yet) been repealed.

Airlines just aren't required to compensate if the delay is out of their control, whereas the railway is required to compensate regardless of why, including "force majeure" like yesterday's weather. The reason for this is that EU261 was primarily intended to be strong financial motivation for airlines to rein in the practice of overbooking (which had got rather out of hand) and of cancelling flights where they haven't sold enough seats to make it viable, in both cases with little or no compensation to those caught out. It wasn't intended as a generic delay compensation mechanism, though it does sort of do that as a side effect.
Thank you.

By far the worst windy weather we've had in Northumberland in decades but it looks like Network Rail, their partners and even local councils were prepared and mitigations in place has kept disruption to a minimum.
99mph winds inland around the Alnwick area

No idea how they've kept the Tyne Valley line open but credit to them!
What about Arwen? Widespread damage, vast areas of forest destroyed roofs blown off.

londonmidland

Established Member
Reports of an object on the OLE near Edinburgh Waverley. Multiple cancellations with only a handful of services running.

EMU303

Looks like Glasgow to Edinburgh via Falkirk is restarting at 14.45 today… from Glasgow and 15.15 from Edinburgh

LAX54

Established Member
I hardly think it can be blamed on network resilience that people's trampolines and even garden sheds blew onto the line. Short of razing everything within 500m of the railway lines, there's nothing the railway can do. The purpose of the warnings not to travel is to avoid people criticising the railways when they can't get home because this has happened, as has happened in the past.
Airlines were no better, some amazing diversions Manchester to Stansted diverted to Budapest (Ryanair)
Seville to Edinburgh landed in Cologne :)
A Manchester to Dublin flight ended up diverted to Paris !

scrapy

Established Member
Airlines were no better, some amazing diversions Manchester to Stansted diverted to Budapest (Ryanair)
The media reporting on the Manchester to Stansted flight apparently a bit misleading as it was an empty positioning flight, that was then sent to Budapest because it was it's next planned destination.

deltic

Established Member
The media reporting on the Manchester to Stansted flight apparently a bit misleading as it was an empty positioning flight, that was then sent to Budapest because it was it's next planned destination.
It was a Budapest to Stansted flight that diverted to Manchester, was then due to take passengers onto Stansted but then returned to Budapest.

A number of Ryanair flights appear to have diverted to the airport that they were next scheduled to fly from which explains some of the odd destinations.

Rhinojerry

The Shannon to Edin that went to Cologne arrived back at Edinburgh at 1148.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Highland sleepers aren't happening tonight. Aberdeen portion runs to Edinburgh and terminates as a hotel. Fort William and Inverness lines both shut. Northbound sleeper in use as a hotel at Euston.

Northbound services between Aberdeen, Fort William and Inverness

We are sorry to inform you that tonight’s Caledonian Sleeper services from London Euston to Inverness, Aberdeen and Fort William have been cancelled.

The West Highland and Highland mainlines remain closed following Storm Isha meaning it is not possible for us to run these services.

If you are having difficulty or are away from home, you can stay onboard our train in London Euston with our crew, as it will remain on the platform overnight. Please arrive by the scheduled departure time of 2115 hours.

We have arranged for you to travel on any LNER service between London Euston and Glasgow and Edinburgh tomorrow. Please make a free seat reservation on the LNER web site at https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/make-a-reservation/.

You can also use your Sleeper ticket to travel on any Scotrail service to get to your final destination tomorrow.

Please note, there is a risk that you may not be able to travel further north than Glasgow or Edinburgh as it’s unlikely that the West Highland and Highland mainlines will reopen tomorrow and significant further disruption is expected from 7pm tomorrow night.

If you can stay home, please do so. All tickets will be cancelled, and a full refund issued. If you booked directly with us, the refund will be automatically returned to the card you made payment with.

Our Caledonian Double and Club guests can access our lounge in Euston as normal

If you have any questions, please contact us on Live Chat at http://www.sleeper.scot.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this will cause.

Aberdeen to London Euston

We are sorry to inform you that tonight’s Caledonian Sleeper service from Aberdeen to London Euston will terminate at Edinburgh Waverley.

You can stay onboard our train in Edinburgh Waverley with our crew, as it will remain on the platform overnight. Boarding and departure times are unchanged.

We have arranged for you to travel on any LNER service between Edinburgh and London Euston tomorrow. Please make a free seat reservation on the LNER web site at https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/make-a-reservation/.

Please do not travel unless essential as further extreme weather conditions are forecast for Tuesday.

If you can stay home, please do so. All tickets will be cancelled, and a full refund issued. If you booked directly with us, the refund will be automatically returned to the card you made payment with.

If you have any questions, please contact us on Live Chat at http://www.sleeper.scot.

Southbound services from Fort William and Inverness to London Euston

We are sorry to inform you that tonight’s Caledonian Sleeper services from Inverness and Fort William to London Euston have been cancelled.

The West Highland and Highland mainlines remain closed following Storm Isha meaning it is not possible for us to run these services.

All tickets will be cancelled, and a full refund issued. If you booked directly with us, the refund will be automatically returned to the card you made payment with.

If you are having any difficulty, need assistance or are away from home, please contact us on Live Chat at http://www.sleeper.scot.

Also cancelled tomorrow night (Tuesday night / Wednesday morning) as the railway in Scotland will close at 7pm again in view of Storm Jocelyn.

In more positive news, the Lowland sleepers run in both directions tonight.

PTR 444

Established Member
On a more practical matter, what would happen to you if your domestic flight did get diverted to an international airport and you didn’t have your passport with you? Presumably you would be barred from leaving the airside part of the airport, if not the plane itself.

Several UK airlines such as EasyJet do not mandate passports for domestic flights, but could/should they become mandatory just in case of such diversions. Perhaps a topic for a new thread?

jfollows

Established Member
On a more practical matter, what would happen to you if your domestic flight did get diverted to an international airport and you didn’t have your passport with you? Presumably you would be barred from leaving the airside part of the airport, if not the plane itself.
Yes, I believe that is what happened. Get off the plane but then stay in the airport until you can fly out.

PTR 444

Established Member
Yes, I believe that is what happened. Get off the plane but then stay in the airport until you can fly out.
I thought that would be the case - Must be exhausting if you have a long overnight delay and all other passengers have their passports so they can get a hotel room.

What would happen if you needed to leave the airside terminal for emergency reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.