• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Malik, Saturday 29th January 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
A blanket 40mph speed restriction has been imposed across the whole of Scotland and down to Marshall Meadows (Berwick Upon Tweed).

Further to that we have line blocks affecting Edinburgh to Aberdeen services and a tree blocking the ECML at Monktonhall Junction (Musselburgh-Wallyford) which is currently affecting TPE 9N09.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m at Edinburgh now. Confusion all over the place, services gradually building up greater delays, and staff doing their best to deal with an growingly impatient barrage of passengers.

How long is this speed restriction expected to be in force for?

Swanley 59

The wind is currently gusting at 70 mph across Stanington North Moor, adjacent to the ECML in Northumberland - strong enough to partially topple one of the electricity poles.

Pole.png

Established Member
Line now closed Newcastle to Edinburgh. Overheads confirmed down at Pegwswood, trees blocking line at Granthouses.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I’m in Saltcoats and we are being battered, I’m surprised our train service is still running at all on account of the sea wall.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
9N09 made it as far as Prestonpans before being sent back to Edinburgh. Pax being directed to WCML to Carlisle and across the Tyne Valley

Established Member
9N09 made it as far as Prestonpans before being sent back to Edinburgh. Pax being directed to WCML to Carlisle and across the Tyne Valley
LNER not advising travel via Carlisle and Tyne Valley, due to Tyne like also closed?

My local line, dundee to Aberdeen is now closed along with Inverness to aberdeen, highland main line and far north lines

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m currently on the 10:52 EDB - CAR. Does the 40mph apply to the whole of the WCML? It has so far for us.

jkkne

LNER not advising travel via Carlisle and Tyne Valley, due to Tyne like also closed?

yeah there’s numerous trees down.

Light rail related but Tyne and Wear Metro have just suspended services. It’s hitting about 60mph in built up urban areas so dread to think what the exposed ECML is like

Established Member
yeah there’s numerous trees down.

Light rail related but Tyne and Wear Metro have just suspended services. It’s hitting about 60mph in built up urban areas so dread to think what the exposed ECML is like
Just seen a picture from a friend, they are near Morpeth and looks like a sandstorm where they are, he says it feels the wind is stronger than storm Arwen.

jkkne

Just seen a picture from a friend, they are near Morpeth and looks like a sandstorm where they are, he says it feels the wind is stronger than storm Arwen.

Yes I’m in Alnwick and it certainly feels more intense in the built up areas this time around.

Swanley 59

We're just south of Morpeth and very close to the ECML. Not sure if he wind speeds are higher than Arwen, but they're much higher than the BBC forecast predicted.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
40mph restriction has been lifted, at least on the WCML. The pendolino I am on is back to line speed

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
We just passed Carstairs using the East-South link of the triangle. Now going past Thankerton at full line speed.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
LNER saying it’s unlikely that the ECML north of Newcastle will reopen today. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.