• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stowmarket to London Terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Is via Cambridge a permitted route on an off peak return (subject to times, obviously)?

Routing guide says map EA and that shows via Cambridge and National Rail does yield an itinerary I think.

Out via Colchester is OK but it will avoid bustitution on the return next Sunday.

Incidentally is there anywhere I can download all the routing guide still? The maps and the routing point calculator (which keeps asking me to confirm I am human and I never get anywhere) seem on line only now. I think I am getting the hang of it but don't want a scene on a train!

Many thanks.

Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Map EA does not show Stowmarket - Cambridge - London.

If you are making a day return journey, a Travelcard is valid via Cambridge (shortest route rule to the Zone 6 boundary)

For an Off Peak Return then no it's not a permitted route, however.
Incidentally is there anywhere I can download all the routing guide still? The maps and the routing point calculator (which keeps asking me to confirm I am human and I never get anywhere) seem on line only now

http://www.farehistory.info/routeing-guide/
(unofficial source created by a forum member)

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Thanks, I'd looked too quickly at the map and thought Cheshunt was KGX (the maps are not that detailed, especially for the slightly daft!). Sorry. However Stowmarket to Cheshunt plus Cheshunt to zone 1 is almost exactly the same cost as Stowmarket to Liverpool St, so provided I go via Cambridge both ways it will cost the same. Actually it may take me to Stratford more conveniently. Many thanks again.

Are the 2014 Routing Guide maps up to date or will there have been changes? Mind you the main problem is me mastering the guide, not small changes in the maps (see above).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As well as the site I linked to above, there is a thread dedicated to the matter of Routeing Guide changes.

There have been many changes since 2014, including the best example I used to provide at fares workshops (which was Hatton to Droitwich via Reading, Portsmouth, Bristol) being no more.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
So the on line maps are the only up to date ones? Leaving aside my stupid reading of them of course. Thanks

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
RDG only provide the latest ones on their website. Unofficial sources track changes and document copies of the maps at particular times.

To be honest I don't check the maps visually that often as the point of the maps is to be read by routeing engines (software) for the purpose of generating itineraries.

If you want to know if a particular route is valid or not, the easiest thing to do so is to plan an itinerary at www.trainscanbecheaper.info; this is the same as Trainsplit but without splits, and you have up to three via and avoid locations as well as specifying specific TOCs to take (or avoid). Before you use that website, you may wish to check your intended itinerary is found using www.fastjp.com

If you want to learn more, sign up for a free fares workshop.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'd buy:

Bury St Edmunds - London Terminals Off Peak Return via Cambridge £43.00.
Excess the outward portion to 'Any Permitted' costing £1.10. Start the outward portion short at Stowmarket
A Bury St Edmunds - Stowmarket Anytime Day Single at £6.30 is required to complete the return journey.

Total cost £50.40 (which is cheaper than a Stowmarket - Cheshunt Off Peak Return) and gives maximum flexibility and allows the Cambridge Express services into Kings Cross to be used.

But can you 'start short' on the outward portion of the Off Peak Return, ie. is break of journey possible (I realise that this almost certainly wouldn't be enforced on AGA)?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But can you 'start short' on the outward portion of the Off Peak Return, ie. is break of journey possible (I realise that this almost certainly wouldn't be enforced on AGA)?

Yes! There are no restrictions on starting/finishing short or break of journey on either portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.