• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange Class 158 pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiance149

If I recall correctly, the red livery in question was a livery trial for Central Trains before it opted to go with the green and blue.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Never knew about that before! Would it have been much cheaper?

Yes, but the changes to safety regulations killed it off because it was a bodyshell mounted on a separate underframe instead of being an integral construction.

That's why it carries the number 76112; that's the number of the carriage which donated the underframe.

LowLevel

Established Member
f I recall correctly, the red livery in question was a livery trial for Central Trains before it opted to go with the green and blue.

That was my immediate thought about the 'Go' branding - it was Central's tag line for a few years.

dave12435

Well this mystery has sure got me stumped it looks like a prototype experimental modification testbed

D365

Veteran Member
Somewhat a late reply, but I found this thread discussing (amongst other talk) the aforementioned accident of 158861 and spare/replacement bodyshells.

trac

SOme of the picture links in that thread do not work now but the one of the 158 crash into 47343 is interesting as you can see how the 158's drivers cab has been 'protected' by the doorway space behind squashing up....

Ash Bridge

Established Member
SOme of the picture links in that thread do not work now but the one of the 158 crash into 47343 is interesting as you can see how the 158's drivers cab has been 'protected' by the doorway space behind squashing up....

It was a "runaway" 47343 that collided with the stationary 158861 and not the other way round, thanks to the vigilance and sharp witted thinking of the 158s driver who stopped his train and ran back to the passenger saloon to herd everyone into the rear car of the unit just before the 47 collided with it, I remember him being hailed a hero at the time.

Bevan Price

Established Member
The emu behind the RR livery 158 body is 357.023, and behind that is 357.02? - built at Derby. If anyone has building dates for Class 357, that should give an indication of when the photo was taken.

fgwrich

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.