• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange Formations

shyanthony

1000032704.jpgHey folks, I wasn't sure if there was already a thread to see whether anyone else has been on bizarre formations of passenger trains across the UK rail network. I seem to be on a Norwich "express" operated by an trio of 755's forming 11 cars???

Are there any others that people have travelled on.

Regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The 755s are a bit odd but that's the planned formation. They're pretty quick too.

I'll give you 3 x class 26 locos with two Mk1 coaches from Georgemas Jn to Wick for starters. Obviously a few years ago.

Clansman

Established Member
A 170 sandwiched between 2 x 158s working ScotRail's only booked 7-car DMU service, which ran from Aberdeen to Inverurie (dropping the rear set before continuing to Inverness) in the evening peaks until about 2017/2018.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
3 x class 26 locos with two Mk1 coaches from Georgemas Jn to Wuck
Fantastic :) It trumps the 2x 37/0 hauling a class 108 DMU (failed) out of Cardiff, which I saw 1990-ish (a photo is in my box of 35mm prints).

Also early 1990s, I used to like the 1st gen DMU variations formed by Thames Trains. A personal favourite: L408 was 104 DMBS + 101 TCL + 117 DMS.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Would something like a 158+150+153+153 working a Sunday morning service from Crewe towards Holyhead count, although the 150 + 153s were detached at Chester.

Or around 2006 time there was a late night service from Nottingham to Derby which would be a mix of sprinters as it was a positioning move to reach Derby for overnight servicing

YorksLad12

Established Member
I was on Wakefield Kirkgate P2 for an event when a three-car train pulled in to P1 doing the Huddersfield-Westgate shuttle (so we're talking nearly 10 years ago).

It was a 3x153. Once I realised, I got our photographer to get a shot. Much more interesting than the event we were there to facilitate...

Parallel

Established Member
You used to get some excellent Sprinter combinations to Weymouth in summer - I saw a 153 + 150 + 158 once!

Maybe not strange but GWR used to operate a 6 car pacer from Exeter to Paignton and return for school traffic.

MCR247

Established Member
I remember in around 2005 getting the first train of the day from Nottingham to Lincoln formed of 153+153+158+170. Made more interesting by the fact the 158 was an exTPE 3 car and the 170 was ex MML. Sadly, everything except the 153s were locked OOU. The front 153 also refused to couple to the other 153 for a good half an hour so we had a late start too! Good times :)

nw1

Established Member
The Southern Region in slam-door times were famous for these. Theoretically you could have got 4 classes in one 12 coach train (e.g. 4CIG/CEP + 4VEP + 2HAP + 2EPB). Not sure if that was ever diagrammed, but there were certainly various combinations of three of those four classes.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
One of the evening peak Calder Valley via Dewsbury services around 8 years ago was regularly formed of 158+142. The 142 would come ECS from Holbeck and begin boarding, with almost everyone cramming on... those of us "in the know" knew to hold back until the 158 arrived from the inbound service and attached to the front.
Back in the early to mid 1990s there was a Calder Valley service formed of 158+141.

Thornaby 37

Four or five classes of first generation DMUs in the same formation were once commonplace on the North Wales coast on summer Saturdays when some of the trains could be up to 12 coaches [classes 100, 101, 104, 108 and 120, and possibly other classes were regularly seen on this route]

The exile

Established Member
4 BB67000s (or whatever the standard motive power was) heading up the Paris - Calais boat train in 1986 - only one still working.
The other one, which I never actually rode, was the Wiesbaden City in the late 1980s. 1 2nd and 1 1st most recent IC stock in the brand new livery sandwiched between class 141s in the same - all just to cross the river between Mainz and Wiesbaden. The IC supplement was higher than the fare.

dk1

Veteran Member
755s have been operating Norwich-Liverpool St services for around 18mths now. There were two all day diagrams for triple traction but that was reduced to one last December. There is a double one too but it only works 19:32 up 22:00dn as far as Ipswich.

arb

Really glad to have stumbled upon this thead. Earlier this week as I was arriving in Cambridge, I was idly starting out of the window into the sidings as my train trundled past them, and I noticed various "<n> car stop" signs dotted around the sidings. Most of them made sense to me: 4, 8, 12, 5, 10, cars I could all explain. But I also saw an "11 car stop" sign. I'd been scratching my head wondering what it could be for - now I know!

Big Jumby 74

The Southern Region in slam-door times were famous for these. Theoretically you could have got 4 classes in one 12 coach train (e.g. 4CIG/CEP + 4VEP + 2HAP + 2EPB). Not sure if that was ever diagrammed, but there were certainly various combinations of three of those four classes.
You have me thinking (again!). In Michael Welch's "A Southern Electric Album" (Capital Transport/2003) there is a view on the SW of a 12 car formed 2EPB+6HAP+4EPB taken back in 1966, a bit before my time. I don't ever recall diagramming 2EPB's and 2HAP's in the same formation, the 2HAP's normally being used to augment ML trains such as 8VEP/CIG+2HAP or 8VEP/CIG+4HAP, whereas the 2EPB's were normally used on suburban services as a rule, either as 2+2EPB alone or combined with a 4EPB.

Again, back in slam door days, but I remember commuting in/out of Leeds for a short period in old school DMU days, and quite often witnessed formations (in the southern side through platforms) of 4 or 5 x 2 car units. Which actual classes were involved I have no idea, as was just 'catching my train' at the time!

Western 52

The 755s are a bit odd but that's the planned formation. They're pretty quick too.

I'll give you 3 x class 26 locos with two Mk1 coaches from Georgemas Jn to Wick for starters. Obviously a few years ago.
I once had 3 x 26s from Brora to Inverness on 5 Mk1. I think it was in 1982.

1Q18

Not a passenger move but a four-weekly Tonbridge West Yard-Derby RTC Saturday shift regularly runs with 2x Brush 73/9s on each end of a four-car Network Rail PLPR recording train, so as many locos as carriages. This is to position an extra pair of 73s up to Derby to work a PLPR set on Merseyrail the following Monday/Tuesday, with the locos returning south light engine.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
You have me thinking (again!). In Michael Welch's "A Southern Electric Album" (Capital Transport/2003) there is a view on the SW of a 12 car formed 2EPB+6HAP+4EPB taken back in 1966, a bit before my time. I don't ever recall diagramming 2EPB's and 2HAP's in the same formation, the 2HAP's normally being used to augment ML trains such as 8VEP/CIG+2HAP or 8VEP/CIG+4HAP, whereas the 2EPB's were normally used on suburban services as a rule, either as 2+2EPB alone or combined with a 4EPB.
That would be unusual, as EPBs had lower gearing than HAPs and gangwayed stock to suit their more suburban duties.

Big Jumby 74

That would be unusual, as EPBs had lower gearing than HAPs and gangwayed stock to suit their more suburban duties.
A 50/50 mix was permissible, eg 4VEP+4EPB, as was the case on New Line diagrams, and any other formation providing the ML stock formed a minimum of 50%, as per the example mentioned up thread in Michael Welch's book. But something like 4VEP+8EPB was a no-no.

stevieinselby

This might be a silly question, but why? What's the advantage of running more expensive BMUs instead of EMUs, with all the limitations on access through the train that that entails?

Established Member
This might be a silly question, but why? What's the advantage of running more expensive BMUs instead of EMUs, with all the limitations on access through the train that that entails?
Quite simply to help the 745 availability. 720s on the Stansted services further help that 745 availability, if you made another Stansted diagram 720s (if available) then perhaps you could remove the 755s on the Norwich line, but it is all robbing Peter etc....

One of the evening peak Calder Valley via Dewsbury services around 8 years ago was regularly formed of 158+142. The 142 would come ECS from Holbeck and begin boarding, with almost everyone cramming on... those of us "in the know" knew to hold back until the 158 arrived from the inbound service and attached to the front.
Back in the early to mid 1990s there was a Calder Valley service formed of 158+141.
Early 2000's I was on a late evening Middlesbrough to Manchester Airport TPE which was a 158/144. I think this was when the 144 was used on the Whitby Branch in the Summer (3 cars therefore extra capacity) and assume it was dropped off at Leeds

stevieinselby

Quite simply to help the 745 availability. 720s on the Stansted services further help that 745 availability, if you made another Stansted diagram 720s (if available) then perhaps you could remove the 755s on the Norwich line, but it is all robbing Peter etc....
Is that another way of saying "they ordered the wrong number of trains"?

Established Member
Is that another way of saying "they ordered the wrong number of trains"?
:lol: You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment. Frustratingly there is a solution to get a consistent product on both Norwich and Stansted services, but no one will sign the cheque.

trei2k

Although not a UK example, I find RhB in Switzerland a little funny how they mix their EMU and coaching stock very randomly in the same service.

Some examples from Flickr:

Established Member
Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I find RhB in Switzerland a little funny how they mix their EMU and coaching stock very randomly in the same service.
And freight vehicles!
Here's a view looking back at the loco and postal container wagons from the observation car on one of their newish push-pull sets:
IMG_5567.jpeg

The same day we had an Allegra EMU pulling older coaches followed by freight wagons.