• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange routing restriction

Status
Not open for further replies.
please move if in wrong thread:

Just bought an off peak return from Stoke on Trent to Manchester pic (all Tocs)

At the bottom of the screen on the virgin ticket machine under any permitted route and off peak restrictions it said (not via Southsea Hoverpt)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
please move if in wrong thread:

Just bought an off peak return from Stoke on Trent to Manchester pic (all Tocs)

At the bottom of the screen on the virgin ticket machine under any permitted route and off peak restrictions it said (not via Southport Hoverpt)
Yes, this is a bit of a weird thing. It seems that the route code 00000, which means Any Permitted, has a "not via" point of Southsea Hoverport. Presumably this is to prevent tickets routed Any Permitted being routed via there! (I imagine to require travellers to hold something in the same style of Any Permitted + Hovertravel for the Hovertravel service).

Last edited:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Certain fares in Scotland for flows nowhere near the Fort William to Mallaig section state they are not valid via the Jacobite steam service.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, this is a bit of a weird thing. It seems that the route code 00000, which means Any Permitted, has a "not via" point of Southsea Hoverport. Presumably this is to prevent tickets routed Any Permitted being routed via there! (I imagine to require travellers to hold something in the same style of Any Permitted + Hovertravel for the Hovertravel service).

Because it would make far too much sense just to route all through tickets onto the Island via Ryde.

akm

Because it would make far too much sense just to route all through tickets onto the Island via Ryde.

Yes, but by hovercraft or by ferry? Both operators will want every penny they are entitled to, and by implication will not want the other getting a penny they are NOT entitled to...

A Challenge

Established Member
Route them all either one way or the other, as any permitted are get only so call or something like ANYPERM+WHTLNK

kieron

Established Member
Then if there are no tickets on ANY PERMITTED to the IOW why is that needed?
There are "any permitted" tickets to and from stations on the Isle of Wight, in addition to the "Any Permitted+Wightlink" and "Any Permitted+Hovertravel" ones.

For example, someone going from West Drayton to Ryde Esplanade has a choice of "+via London" and "any permitted" tickets. A "+via London" ticket would be valid on either route across the Solent, as far as I know.

alistairlees

Established Member
A "+via London" ticket would be valid on either route across the Solent, as far as I know.
This is not quite right:
- there is an easement that forbids tickets routed "Any Permitted" to be used on the hovercraft (that would not affect what kieron is saying, but I am including it for completeness)
- another easement requires travel on hovercraft to be routed "Hovertravel" (so that does ban "via London" or "Three Bridges" fares, for example)
- the fares data has a ban on travelling via Southsea Hoverport for all "Any Permitted" routes (a very poor way of implementing something like this)

In addition the staff on the hovercraft are on the lookout for any ticket which is not routed "Hovertravel". They have a reference book with what's allowed and what isn't.

The outcome of this is:
- fares including "Hovertravel" in the routing are only valid on the hovercraft
- fares routed "Wightlink" are only valid on the ferry
- fares routed "Any Permitted", "via London", "Three Bridges" etc. are also only valid on the ferry.

In other words, there is no longer any fare that is valid on both. Which is a bit of a shame really.

A Challenge

Established Member
If a ticket is valid on a route that is less expensive than that (for example VIA WARRINGTON on ANY PERMITTED route for Chester to Liverpool Stations), surely this also applies to, say, Fratton to Ryde St John's Road, where the OFF-PEAK DAY R ticket on route VIA HOVERTRAVEL is £21.50 and a OFF-PEAK DAY R route VIA WIGHTLINK is £24.50, so surely this is allowed in both.

Does this not work on Hovertravel (and would it work if the fares were the other way round?), or am I remembering it wrong?

A Challenge

Established Member
I would have said it did restrict the route used, but if it is seen as not, you can still excess a VIA HOVERTRAVEL ticket to a VIA WIGHTLINK in one direction for half the difference (£1.50), or the other way (from VIA WIGHTLINK to VIA HOVERTRAVEL) as a Zero-Fare excess

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I would have said it did restrict the route used, but if it is seen as not, you can still excess a VIA HOVERTRAVEL ticket to a VIA WIGHTLINK in one direction for half the difference (£1.50), or the other way (from VIA WIGHTLINK to VIA HOVERTRAVEL) as a Zero-Fare excess
The rules do not officially permit excessing from a company-restricted ticket to anything else (whether it be another company restriction, a route restriction or no restriction at all).

A Challenge

Established Member
The rules do not officially permit excessing from a company-restricted ticket to anything else (whether it be another company restriction, a route restriction or no restriction at all).
It hadn't occured to me it was a TOC restriction as neither Hovertravel Limited nor Wightlink Limited operate any train services, and it is generally routed TOC ONLY for a TOC-restricted ticket, and not with ANY PERMITTED in the name (like ANY PERM+HOVRTVL or ANY PERM+WIGHTLK), not VIA X, which is usually a place, except in the same of HOVERTRAVEL/WIGHTLINK.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
It hadn't occured to me it was a TOC restriction as neither Hovertravel Limited nor Wightlink Limited operate any train services, and it is generally routed TOC ONLY for a TOC-restricted ticket, and not with ANY PERMITTED in the name (like ANY PERM+HOVRTVL or ANY PERM+WIGHTLK), not VIA X, which is usually a place, except in the same of HOVERTRAVEL/WIGHTLINK.
miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

Can of worms labelled "do not open!"

roversfan2001

Established Member
Another weird routeing restriction I came across a couple of weeks ago is Leyland to Blackpool North is no longer routed "ANY PERMITTED", but instead "VIA PRESTON". This was an entirely useless change as as far as I know, there's no way to avoid Preston on such a journey...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Another weird routeing restriction I came across a couple of weeks ago is Leyland to Blackpool North is no longer routed "ANY PERMITTED", but instead "VIA PRESTON". This was an entirely useless change as as far as I know, there's no way to avoid Preston on such a journey...

There is a programme of removing "Any Permitted" flows because they cause confusion, and putting a via point in where there is only one logical one, such as Preston in this case.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The DfT and RDG claim this is making things simpler for passengers.

A Challenge

Established Member
A restriction to go through the only access point for a branch is simpler is it? I suppose it isn't restricting routes in this case at least!

father_jack

The "southsea hoverport" message only seems to appear on the new type of wretched Worldline TVMS.......

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The DfT and RDG claim this is making things simpler for passengers.

I don't see how it makes things any worse in this case, it's not exactly restricting the routes you can take. Indeed, it might be vaguely helpful for someone who hasn't done the journey before by pointing out where to head first.

A Challenge

Established Member
In all likeliness you will change at Preston anyway in this case, and only at Preston, I don't think there are any through services are there?

CHAPS2034

I bought an all TOCs Stockport- Stoke yesterday from the Virgin ticket office at Stockport. It was printed on a bog roll and marked "valid only via Macclesfield".

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I bought an all TOCs Stockport- Stoke yesterday from the Virgin ticket office at Stockport. It was printed on a bog roll and marked "valid only via Macclesfield".
Presumably to prevent passengers travelling via Crewe, an entirely reasonable but not permitted route

Status
Not open for further replies.