• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strangest bus destination screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
I have a Tyne & Wear timetable book for summer 82, in it has a 935 that had a couple of journeys terminate at a village called No Place which is near Stanley, County Durham

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
My local services now include journeys that terminate at Farrington Gurney - an obscure Somerset village

The D2 terminating at Clink is always a funny one!

Some of Lothian's termini are worth a giggle: Trinity, Ballerno, Hyvot's Bank, to name but a few. Surgeons Hall on the 41 reminds me of something out of The Human Centipede!

Also back in my home city of Cardiff the 13 terminates at The Drope, but buses usually just display 'Drope'. Always catches a few eyes to non-locals.

341o2

Established Member
The Hartlepool trolleybuses used to terminate at Foggy Furze

gazthomas

Established Member
I'm always intrigued by the stop announcements and displays on the Arriva Wales number 5 route (Bangor to Llandudno) where a surprising number are called completely different things in English to Welsh.
That's how it works with different languages.

That said, I always thought that Eglwysbach (small church) was an obscure place to terminate a bus service.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I always thought the destination of Auchenshuggle on certain bus routes in Glasgow back in the day was an odd name.

Ian Hardy

I have a Tyne & Wear timetable book for summer 82, in it has a 935 that had a couple of journeys terminate at a village called No Place which is near Stanley, County Durham
There is a book about Northern General with the subtitle "From No Place to Success" by Autobus Review Publications published in 1995.

My 1969 East Midland timetable book shows route 5 from Worksop, which had short workings to 'Rhodesia', and in the back of the book contains times for the 'Booth & Fisher' service from Worksop, including short workings to 'Wales'. Rhodesia & Wales are about 6 miles apart.

_toommm_

Established Member
My 1969 East Midland timetable book shows route 5 from Worksop, which had short workings to 'Rhodesia', and in the back of the book contains times for the 'Booth & Fisher' service from Worksop, including short workings to 'Wales'. Rhodesia & Wales are about 6 miles apart.

There’s also a Wales in Sheffield, and I suspect that might have been on the blinds back in the day.

madannie77

I am sure it has mentioned before, but that brings to mind a signpost:
ham sandwich.jpg

Anyway, back on topic...

Whilst looking through some of my photos from Middlesbrough in 2006 I note that there was a route 71 which terminated at Norman Conquest. I don't recall seeing it on more recent visits, however.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I am sure it has mentioned before, but that brings to mind a signpost:
View attachment 76746

Anyway, back on topic...

Whilst looking through some of my photos from Middlesbrough in 2006 I note that there was a route 71 which terminated at Norman Conquest. I don't recall seeing it on more recent visits, however.

Sadly that specific stop doesn't get a regular service any more - the Norman Conquest lies in the suburb of Normanby, one of a number of places mainly dependent on Middlesbrough but just outside its eastern boundary.

While on an essential shopping trip today in Gateshead, I noticed Go North East's destination blinds said "Essential journeys only" instead of a via point. Understandable, given the current circumstances, but probably worth a mention in this thread!

Statto

Established Member
On the face of it the old Liverpool route 72 Pier Head-Hunts Cross doesn't look all that strange, so why i'm i posting it on this thread, however if you look into it a bit deeper it is strange, as the Hunts Cross terminus was Finch Lane-Higher Road, which is actually in Halewood, & since the redrawing of the boundaries in 74, Halewood is in the Borough of Knowsley, whilst Hunts Cross is Liverpool City Council, buses most of the time displayed Hunts Cross[sometimes the odd bus displayed Finch Lane], so the 72 went through Hunts Cross to Halewood to reach the Hunts Cross terminus in Halewood.

High Dyke

Established Member
Just to confuse most passengers, back in the days of the National Bus Company a popular destination - certainly in Lincolnshire and across East Anglia - was Service. Many buses seemed to run with that on the blind, but no-one really knew where it was.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I remember seeing the destination "Pavement Lane" whizz past on the screens of Yorkshire Rider buses as drivers set up for their next run at the back of Huddersfield bus station back in the 1990s. I never once saw this destination displayed and to this day have no idea where Pavement Lane is. It only stuck in my mind because of the band (Pavement) I was into at the time.

Welshman

Established Member
Just out of interest, Pavement Lane runs off the A629 Halifax-Keighley road from Illingworth to Bradshaw.
As such, it forms a kind of northern boundary of the Illingworth estate, and I think the current 521 from Halifax now runs along that road as part of a circular journey Halifax-Illingworth-Halifax.

Not exactly strange, but at one time if you were not in service you blanked the screen off. Everyone knew that meant you were not in service.
Then they decided it would be nice to have " sorry, not in service" on the screen. Drivers were disciplined for not having this displayed and inspectors were placed near depots to catch drivers out. Then they glued " scholars, all passenger welcome" on to a number of vehicles, so it was impossible to display " sorry not in service".

Odd and petty but that was the way they ran the company.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"Sorry not in service" does have a purpose particularly in modern days of electronic screens as it proves the screen is working. If a bus has a blank screen it may be faulty and *in* service.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Sorry part may be relatively new but in most areas the blinds included "Not in Service" or some variation on that. I recall seeing "Private" and "Reserved" as well.

cnjb8

Established Member
Is it illegal for a bus on a school service to display the service number or terminus?

carlberry

Established Member
Is it illegal for a bus on a school service to display the service number or terminus?
Not being a lawyer I couldnt give a definitive answer however it dosent sound like the kind of law that anybody would bother passing.
If the service is open to the public then it should now follow the latest legislation about displaying service number and destination, and the legislation dosent appear to accept an A4 sheet of paper as a proper destination. If it's not open to the public (i.e. fully paid for by the school/council/parents) it can display what it likes.

carlberry

Established Member
The Sorry part may be relatively new but in most areas the blinds included "Not in Service" or some variation on that. I recall seeing "Private" and "Reserved" as well.
When it was introduced some drivers did point out that the 'Sorry' bit appeared to suggest that the driver was sorry about not being in service whereas, most of the time, they were fairly happy about it especially if it was the end of their duty!

M60lad

Regarding School Services I'm led to believe that the law (if its exists) or ruling has now changed in that all School Services must display the service number and terminus think it was changed a few years ago.

As for some School Services being open to the public I know that this is the case in some places but depending on the School who would want to travel on a Schoolbus these days considering the way the little darlings behave on some of them.

superjohn

While commuting on the A12 I have often seen a bus with the destination of “Bernard Matthews” heading north from Ipswich. Presumably a contract service for chicken factory staff.

cnjb8

Established Member
490 in Doncaster says ‘Hayfield School’ or ‘McAuley School’.
Not being a lawyer I couldnt give a definitive answer however it dosent sound like the kind of law that anybody would bother passing.
If the service is open to the public then it should now follow the latest legislation about displaying service number and destination, and the legislation dosent appear to accept an A4 sheet of paper as a proper destination. If it's not open to the public (i.e. fully paid for by the school/council/parents) it can display what it likes.
Regarding School Services I'm led to believe that the law (if its exists) or ruling has now changed in that all School Services must display the service number and terminus think it was changed a few years ago.

As for some School Services being open to the public I know that this is the case in some places but depending on the School who would want to travel on a Schoolbus these days considering the way the little darlings behave on some of them.
Thanks for the responses :D

carlberry

Established Member

The 'open to the public' bit is usually so the operator can claim BSOG and also means the service is subject to the DDA regulations. Mostly the public are not brave enough to use them as you say!

Status
Not open for further replies.