• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stressing kit preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
Which stressing kit do you prefer? Geismar {New type} or Permaquip {old type}

I prefer the Permaquip kit for it's simple construction and simple operation. I have witnessed a 'Near miss' with the Geismar equipment and that made up my mind that it's dangerous.
I've heard stories of the tensioning bars bending when being used on curves with a sharp radius.

Working on a large re railing job at Christmas, the Geismar equipment was quietly behind in the local stores while Permaquip kits were fetched in from miles around.

Your thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ploughman

Established Member
Never used the Geismar kit so cannot comment.
But as for the Permaquip kit no real problems with it other than the usual complaints of weight.
Regular problems are rams locking up, missing pins and leaking off pressure.
This we got round by making it a policy in the office of always having a spare half set actually on site so we could swap out any bit that failed quickly.
In 19 years I only had 1 major failure when a ram sheared in the cylinder under load just as the welders were setting up the moulds, didn't half give everybody a fright.
Never had any problems with the kit on sharp curves but there again did not do any stressing on curves less than 300m (specially authorised excess radius pull) normally never less than 400m.

Status
Not open for further replies.