• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Study launched into Bristol Temple Meads electrification plan

Class 317

How many existing services would actually utilise OHLE on an electrified Filton Bank? The only service I can think of that will are Cardiff-Taunton/Penzance ones now they are almost exclusively IETs, but the disappearance of London trains from that section, except during engineering work diversions, limits the potential without the electrification going to other lines in the area.
BEMU'S would likely allow a substantial part of local Bristol area services to move to electric operation.

The Filton Abbey Wood terminator could, if the chord was also wired enough for the shunt move. Although that would then complicate the Henbury loop reopening proposal.
Any IET would obviously benefit, and there's a fair about of early and late empties that would be able to use it although that's obviously relatively marginal in the scheme of things.
For big benefits, you'd need to split the Cardiff-Portsmouths (possibly impacting the revenue) or change their stock to a bi-mode (expensive tender process...).
However, if viewed within the framing as 'phase 1' of a wider Bristol area decarbonising programme, there's a lot more benefits as it deals with the difficult bits to make later phases easier, especially with air quality being a big focus right now.
Portsmouth to Cardiff could certainly look to go to BEMU'S as well although electrification would likely be needed between Bristol and Bath as well.to allow this.

Operation of class 387's via Parkway would also increase flexibility to deal with high demand days like Glastonbury, Bath Christmas Markets etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Portsmouth to Cardiff could certainly look to go to BEMU'S as well although electrification would likely be needed between Bristol and Bath as well.to allow this.
It's potentially within range although you'd need a dual voltage + battery train which is likely to be new design of stock.
Operation of class 387's via Parkway would also increase flexibility to deal with high demand days like Glastonbury, Bath Christmas Markets etc.
People buster type solutions only work if you get people to their destinations. The minutes are pretty clear that part 1 is Filton Bank only, with Bristol to Chippenham following later, so no Bath 12-Car 387s yet. And Glasto traffic is on the B&H from Reading largely so wouldn't benefit from Bristol area.

MarkyT

Established Member
It's potentially within range although you'd need a dual voltage + battery train which is likely to be new design of stock.
True, but it should be a small modification to add 3rd rail pick-up shoes to a preexisting BEMU design. There will be in-service experience of Stadler's battery-equipped UK FLIRTs for TfW by the time any further wiring is likely to be underway and Alstom should be capable of producing very similar level boarding trains based on their Coradia range for local/regional services. The traction system would need changes too clearly but electric trains typically operate 'natively' on sub 1000VDC and the same companies produce trains based on the same technical platforms that run on lower DC voltages, albeit OHLE supplied for other administrations, so it's something that should be achievable fairly easily on a new fleet. I wonder if the unused 769 fleet might now be adapted for battery operation; a battery is a lot less trouble and risk than diesel generator sets, fuel tanks and exhaust stacks onboard, especially if you choose your battery chemistry wisely.
People buster type solutions only work if you get people to their destinations. The minutes are pretty clear that part 1 is Filton Bank only, with Bristol to Chippenham following later, so no Bath 12-Car 387s yet. And Glasto traffic is on the B&H from Reading largely so wouldn't benefit from Bristol area.
Filton could be a quick win becasue of the comprehensive reconstruction for 4-tracks. I guess even if there is still the odd old overbridge to raise, the new and modified alignments were fully designed with future wiring in mind. The route is also only about 5 miles end to end, albeit 4 tracks, compared to the ~20 miles of largely double track between Thingley and Bristol. Bristol East is remodelled now with new compatible trackside signalling kit. Others have mentioned the west end of the station and route out to Parsons Street which, although also resignalled and recontrolled to TVSC, is not in its final form layout-wise yet. For a while after electrification was officially paused, I think the Bath and Bathhampton area remained a little island of old WR E10K relay-based signalling but it appears that interlocking and trackside equipment were renewed in wiring-compatible electronic form around 2019.

zwk500

Veteran Member
True, but it should be a small modification to add 3rd rail pick-up shoes to a preexisting BEMU design. There will be in-service experience of Stadler's battery-equipped UK FLIRTs for TfW by the time any further wiring is likely to be underway and Alstom should be capable of producing very similar level boarding trains based on their Coradia range for local/regional services. The traction system would need changes too clearly but electric trains typically operate 'natively' on sub 1000VDC and the same companies produce trains based on the same technical platforms that run on lower DC voltages, albeit OHLE supplied for other administrations, so it's something that should be achievable fairly easily on a new fleet.
For sure it's possible and relatively straightforward but it is still an extra modification which costs money and therefore needs some way of paying for it, and the government is disinclined to sign cheques without some reasonable expectation of improved net economic performance to repay the bonds.
I wonder if the unused 769 fleet might now be adapted for battery operation; a battery is a lot less trouble and risk than diesel generator sets, fuel tanks and exhaust stacks onboard, especially if you choose your battery chemistry wisely.
Given the problems of converting 30-year old units that were run hard and long in the first service lives, I think it'd be a hell of a lot easier to ask manufacturers to offer revisions to stock currently in production. Siemens have long history of making DV units for the UK, plugging in a battery to that design will be a lot less risky than mucking about with knackered old trains.

For clarity - I think BEMUs should be procured for the Wessex regional routes, but the long-term goal should be to have the Bristol-Southampton route fully electrified on OLE to the existing 3rd Rail boundary, via both Redbridge and Chandler's Ford.
Filton could be a quick win becasue of the comprehensive reconstruction for 4-tracks. I guess even if there is still the odd old overbridge to raise, the new and modified alignments were fully designed with future wiring in mind. The route is also only about 5 miles end to end, albeit 4 tracks, compared to the ~20 miles of largely double track between Thingley and Bristol. Bristol East is remodelled now with new compatible trackside signalling kit.
For sure, this all makes it a quicker win and as I mentioned earlier sorts out a lot of the most awkward sections, making completion of North Somerset Jn-Chippenham much more straightforward (assuming the Filton Bank project would include Filton Diamond and the access to St Philip's Marsh, if not the west end of Bristol).
Others have mentioned the west end of the station and route out to Parsons Street which, although also resignalled and recontrolled to TVSC, is not in its final form layout-wise yet.
Yes it's got a couple more stages to go, although given how BTM operates it's not the worst thing in the world if the West End needs to be a 'Phase 1A'.

Snow1964

Established Member
Whilst not wanting to go off topic, it is probably useful for those in other parts of the country to understand that to some extent Bristol is rapidly moving in similar way to Leeds in 1990s, in that it is rapidly getting regional offices, and thus commuting to office based roles is expanding fast.

Thus the it has coped with diesel commuter trains upto now, or no one commutes anymore arguments are weak in Bristol

Linking a recent article on office blocks changing hands in Bristol

Close to £90 million of offices is set to change hands in Bristol, CoStar News understands, as investors swoop for prime workspaces in the city and prompt a revival for a location that is home to the BBC, Dyson and KPMG among others.

The first of three major office investment deals being lined up is a £30 million transaction for the out-of-town Imperial Brands headquarters at 121 Winterstoke Road. Market sources says the circa 58,000-square-foot building, occupied by the tobacco brand since 2013, is under offer to Northtree Investment Management.

It is being sold by Abrdn, which recently disposed of another large Bristol office building, Temple Quay House, for circa £50 million deal to a high-net-worth Egyptian family. Colliers is handling the sale of the Imperial headquarters for Abrdn.

CoStar data shows that Abrdn bought the 121 Winterstoke Road offices from Imperial Brands on a sale-and-lease back deal for around £52 million in August 2018, reflecting a 4.69% net yield. It was renovated in 2014 and is rated EPC C, a one-minute drive from Parson Street Commuter Rail.

In the centre of town, Resolution Property is on the cusp of selling Programme, its circa 180,000-square-foot mixed-use, office-led scheme close to Castle Park. Market sources have said that Resolution has exchanged with an undisclosed buyer for around £40 million, reflecting an 8.5% net yield.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Whilst not wanting to go off topic, it is probably useful for those in other parts of the country to understand that to some extent Bristol is rapidly moving in similar way to Leeds in 1990s, in that it is rapidly getting regional offices, and thus commuting to office based roles is expanding fast.

Thus the it has coped with diesel commuter trains upto now, or no one commutes anymore arguments are weak in Bristol

Linking a recent article on office blocks changing hands in Bristol
While it is certainly true that companies are coming to Bristol in a big way (look at the Temple Quarter development), I'd personally say it's actually the cost of housing that's changing commuting patterns around Bristol. Trying to rent or buy within walking/cycling range of central Bristol is now extremely challenging, especially for buying, so people are moving further out and therefore needing to use the train much more (especially with the CAZ). Also companies are now trying to establish 2/3 day hybrid splits as a new normal rather than full 5-day WFH, so commuter traffic is back up again.

Having said that, I regularly commute on the Severn Beach line and there are 2, maybe 3 evening trains where a 3 car DMU is packed out. The rest of the day a 2-car is absolutely fine handling the traffic there is. It would be good if the OLE can reach as far as Avonmouth (or even just to Clifton Down), as the extra oomph going uphill in the evening would be appreciated by passengers and the reduction in diesel emission and noise would be appreciated by neighbours, but it's not quite South London. A 4-Car EMU would be lovely if that's the easiest thing to lease and operate, but a 3-car EMU (or even BEMU) would probably still be fine, especially if the 3tph aspiration happens as well (although I won't hold my breath for that).

MarkyT

Established Member
For sure it's possible and relatively straightforward but it is still an extra modification which costs money and therefore needs some way of paying for it, and the government is disinclined to sign cheques without some reasonable expectation of improved net economic performance to repay the bonds.
One way of justifying it would be to not require expensive dirty and noisy diesel generators onboard together with their fuel tanks. On a new fleet it should be a lot easier to swallow a small development cost and there could be considerable synergies with SWR West of England fleet replacements.
Given the problems of converting 30-year old units that were run hard and long in the first service lives, I think it'd be a hell of a lot easier to ask manufacturers to offer revisions to stock currently in production. Siemens have long history of making DV units for the UK, plugging in a battery to that design will be a lot less risky than mucking about with knackered old trains.
Totally agree in principle, but battery conversion of the 769s might offer an interesting way for the ROSCO to get some return on their considerable investment in these trains to date. I believe Porterbrook looked at batteries as one of the options originally, but their dismissal was based on out-of-date infrastructure assumptions and didn't consider the possibilities of fast charging. The importance of removing both CO2 and other emissions was already a concern back then clearly but has become ever more pressing with each passing year.
For clarity - I think BEMUs should be procured for the Wessex regional routes, but the long-term goal should be to have the Bristol-Southampton route fully electrified on OLE to the existing 3rd Rail boundary, via both Redbridge and Chandler's Ford.
That would be good for freight operations too, especially intermodal diversions as FOCs move over to bi/tri-mode locos (which might also be made suitable for drawing some power from the 3rd rail)
For sure, this all makes it a quicker win and as I mentioned earlier sorts out a lot of the most awkward sections, making completion of North Somerset Jn-Chippenham much more straightforward (assuming the Filton Bank project would include Filton Diamond and the access to St Philip's Marsh, if not the west end of Bristol).
Agreed.

jazzy

Section 78.3 of the WECA document says the following:
Demonstrate the constructability of Network Rail’s novel ‘push out’ cantilever
system for the overhead stanchions (to support the wires). Should feasibility be
demonstrated, this would allow construction to be done on a four-track railway
with a two-track railway still running. This would dramatically reduce track
access costs.
Does anyone know what a ‘push out’ cantilever system is?

stuu

Established Member
I guess that means a twin track cantilever (TTC), so that all the work of piling and preparation can be done away from the two running lines.
They exist already though... I wonder if it could be some sort of rotating cantilever arm, so they are installed parallel to the track and then turned into position?

Energy

Established Member
They exist already though... I wonder if it could be some sort of rotating cantilever arm, so they are installed parallel to the track and then turned into position?
Different method perhaps? It mentions temporarily turning quad track into a 2 track railway so I'd assume its a method which allows piling to be done on the outer tracks only during the daytime.

Day time workforce will be a bit cheaper, and you don't have noise concerns from the local residents.
They also already exist :)

View attachment 151794

And yes, that's what it sounds like to me.
Perhaps, isnt the 6ft gap not enough for a single track cantilever?

Nottingham59

Established Member
I see that the cost was estimated at £3-4m/stk in 2019, and that they are hoping to reduce that cost to £1-2m/stk this time round.

59CosG95

Established Member
Different method perhaps? It mentions temporarily turning quad track into a 2 track railway so I'd assume its a method which allows piling to be done on the outer tracks only during the daytime.

Day time workforce will be a bit cheaper, and you don't have noise concerns from the local residents.

Perhaps, isnt the 6ft gap not enough for a single track cantilever?
There might be track drainage in the 10-foot gap, and also "back-to-back" cantilevers aren't favoured in new designs.