• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stupidly gave fake details

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member

Last RRB job I did was about a year ago and I was sitting spare at Ore near Hastings (A much improved area these days tbh) just watching TV on my phone lol
But yes that driver should have just let them board and find the first available ticket machine if they wanted to buy a ticket.
To be fair most pax when they get on they do show one but I just see orange and that's fine by me, especially given the varying layout of tickets these days depending on how they are issued, not to mention the small typeface. I would not be able to read them at a glance anyway.
Cheers DJ - glad to hear Ore is in better days - I grew up in Sussex in the 70s/80s and used to very much enjoy trips to Ashford to see relatives in Kent, going via Ore or going up the Hastings line to Tonbridge to savour the DMUs. In those days Ore still had a set of decent station buildings (staffed I guess) and also the sidings there which IIRC were for the EMUs, but I don't think I usually changed trains there, preferring a change at Hastings to have a look round. I was sad to see in more recent times on a trip through that all seemed to have been demolished. I used to like the old art deco SR style Hastings station too, so it was a shame when that was replaced.
I'd heard Ore had become a rather run down area in more recent years, so glad to hear things have improved.
A few years ago I was back in the area and had the chance to use the line to go out and do some walking from the line around Winchelsea, Three Oaks etc.

I fear I have strayed well off topic!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJ_K666

Cheers DJ - glad to hear Ore is in better days - I grew up in Sussex in the 70s/80s and used to very much enjoy trips to Ashford to see relatives in Kent, going via Ore or going up the Hastings line to Tonbridge to savour the DMUs. In those days Ore still had a set of decent station buildings (staffed I guess) and also the sidings there which IIRC were for the EMUs, but I don't think I usually changed trains there, preferring a change at Hastings to have a look round. I was sad to see in more recent times on a trip through that all seemed to have been demolished. I used to like the old art deco SR style Hastings station too, so it was a shame when that was replaced.
I'd heard Ore had become a rather run down area in more recent years, so glad to hear things have improved.
A few years ago I was back in the area and had the chance to use the line to go out and do some walking from the line around Winchelsea, Three Oaks etc.

I fear I have strayed well off topic!
Yeah there's new housing and a nice shop there now It's only a little one stop but its good if you need a drink or something. We used to park the RR buses on the top road (Mount Pleasant Road?) where they got in the way but now they go down some really unlikely looking roads and into the station car park. There's even a dedicated RR bus stop. Very posh. My partner used to live there when she was a kid, in Wellington Gardens so she knows the area well.

island

Veteran Member
I doubt so. But that is not the point. See for example the app used by Avanti, CrossCountry and many other TOCs. It says "adult" and "child" in large font. The age range is then in small font.

View attachment 80030

If you were a child, would you read the bit that defined child? There's no need to, you know you're a child.
I really don't think that argument holds much water. It is common knowledge that definitions of child for the purpose of child discount have different cutoffs at different organisations. For example, in most theme parks in the UK, child is 11 and under, at London Zoo it is 15 and under, and at JRC Global Buffet they go for under 1.5m tall. It is incumbent on anyone claiming a child discount – or indeed any discount – to check their eligibility.

Veteran Member
If you were a child, would you read the bit that defined child? There's no need to, you know you're a child.
If you were a 17 year old, would you routinely describe yourself as a child? My children wouldn't have done so (admittedly 15 years ago). Or only when it suited you?

Peter Kelford

All [CORRECTED: Almost all, save for incohate and strict liability offences] cases require an actus reus and a mens rea. The actus reus is undeniable - i.e. you (very stupidly, but then we all do it, just not necessarily to a ticket inspector) gave a false name and false age. The address was also incorrect but it depends how the inspector asked the question:
e.g. 'Can I have an address please?' or 'What is the address of your main residence?'.

It's not the end of the world if you get convicted. One guy convicted of fraud is a lawyer (ironically) defending people accused of fraud. Similarly, another minor fraud convict works in a bank.

Will they come to my work place ??
That would be highly illogical for ticket inspectors to go to a workplace for a minor ticket infraction. If somehow they discover the fake name and are opening a fraud enquiry, then yes. You may have an Article 8 case if this is done for no apparent reason (leading to the case thrown out for irregularities), but I may be over-complicating things for what should be a simple ticket dodging case.

for every other part of the law
Not quite. You have to be 10 to be put on trial for anything, 14 to be tried for most things (doli incapax), 18 to be tried (save for 'grave offences') in adult courts and 22 to be required to leave a YOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.