• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggestion to Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilotman

Just a thought guys and i'll throw it out there to see what people think. I think it would be a good idea to maybe extend the forum section to include a Training to become a driver.

It seems there is alot of people applying for roles at various TOCS across the country and feel that would be a benefit for new trainee drivers to have a section to help them discuss operational rules, traction and maybe route queries. This gives newbies the opportunity to ask and discuss rules, traction to aid their learning.

This could be a big topic in itself and wondered if it would be worth dedicating a section for this purpose?? :idea::idea:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pilotman

Is this a role you think is not covered well enough by the Railway Jobs & Careers section?

I feel that the section your referring to is more on assessments to pass/OPC, medicals etc as well as recruitment information. Once newbies get past this stage then they will look at materials and information of driver training programs and operational rules, specific traction etc etc.

When we look at the first couple of pages of Railway Careers & Jobs there isn't anything there with regards to learning after this stage.

Just thought for it would be easier to navigate to a dedicated area but again it was just a thought.:D

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
I feel that the section your referring to is more on assessments to pass/OPC, medicals etc as well as recruitment information. Once newbies get past this stage then they will look at materials and information of driver training programs and operational rules, specific traction etc etc.

When we look at the first couple of pages of Railway Careers & Jobs there isn't anything there with regards to learning after this stage.

Just thought for it would be easier to navigate to a dedicated area but again it was just a thought.:D

This seems like a good idea to me.

Perhaps two sub-forums could be created: "assessment and interviews", and "driver training". It can be hard to see the wood for the trees in that part of the forum.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Just a thought guys and i'll throw it out there to see what people think. I think it would be a good idea to maybe extend the forum section to include a Training to become a driver.

It seems there is alot of people applying for roles at various TOCS across the country and feel that would be a benefit for new trainee drivers to have a section to help them discuss operational rules, traction and maybe route queries. This gives newbies the opportunity to ask and discuss rules, traction to aid their learning.

This could be a big topic in itself and wondered if it would be worth dedicating a section for this purpose?? :idea::idea:

Think this would be a great idea.

I'm sure those applying aren't going to be too interested in training material and tips. And those who are starting training are no longer interested in the application process.

GB

Established Member
Sorry but I don't really see the point in a separate forum section. There's nothing to stop you asking questions in either the careers or main forums but really once you are in training school you should discuss any queries with your fellow classmates or instructors.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Of course trainees will discuss questions with their classmates and instructors, but I also believe wider sharing of knowledge and resources cannot be a bad thing.

I've often found it useful to read other people's questions. There's things you might have not thought of that are interesting, and maybe important.

Lrd

Established Member
There really isn't that many trainee drivers that stick around. Most people seek help with regards recruitment but as soon as that offer letter comes through, they disappear!

The vast majority of trainees will join a WhatsApp group when they start and they'll help each other out.

choochoochoo

Established Member
There really isn't that many trainee drivers that stick around. Most people seek help with regards recruitment but as soon as that offer letter comes through, they disappear!

The vast majority of trainees will join a WhatsApp group when they start and they'll help each other out.

I think that's a shame and their loss. Such a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

I'm afraid I won't be going anywhere even after training.

Just hope my questions won't get annoying and that I can make valuable contributions.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks for your idea Pilotman. The forum staff are aware and will consider this suggestion in due course.

Any changes will be communicated via the usual channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.