• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sunday trading laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
The English public holidays do not apply in Scotland.

Scotland has it's own regime of traditional local holidays with different areas taking different days. Not all areas of the country take Easter Monday as a holiday.

That is true to an extent but most retailers are open on "local holidays" - the main difference is the Last Monday in May and the one in August the others are the same.

In Falkirk (as far as the Council was concerned) the June 5th BH was a normal day but the Tuesday (Jubilee) was a BH.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
So did you have these same worries when lots of stores went 24 hours and closing at midnight on a saturday? Did your missus have to then start working nights then too? Did she allow a change in her contract for this?

Or did the stores hire more staff to cover the night time opening and manning of the tills/bakery counter and your missus didnt have to work nights at all?

Food for thought me thinks!

Her store is metro store and is not open for long periods like what you mention. They tried a few years ago to open at 05.30 and close at midnight, but this proved to be unsuccessful so after a year the store reverted to its original opening times which is 06.30 to 22.00.

My wife isnt that stupid to change her contract, and that is a pain in the ar5e for the shop as 90% of the staff are on flexi contracts. Therefore she does not have to work Sundays whilst those on new contracts are required to, and when she does work on a Sunday she gets paid double time, those on the new contracts get the same as if they worked any other day. The same applies for bank Holidays.

The store has not recruited staff for quite some time and seems as though its there policy. They are constantly trying to force through changes on those who do not speak up and get away with it.

As an insight to Sunday trading laws being scrapped her store would argue for it, they made an additional £6,000 compared to their normal opening hours. Not that the staff really benefited from it.

richw

Veteran Member
313103, uk legislation states you can refuse to work Sundays with no come back from employer if you follow the correct channels of exercising that right, so tesco can force nobody to work Sunday's.

SS4

Established Member
313103, uk legislation states you can refuse to work Sundays with no come back from employer if you follow the correct channels of exercising that right, so tesco can force nobody to work Sunday's.

In theory. In practice it would be hard to prove to a tribunal and soon employers won't need a reason.

Butts

Veteran Member
The relevant law relating to working on Sundays is summarised here.

Interesting that with regard to shopworkers and betting shop employees having to be told by their employer they have the right not to work on Sundays within 2 months of commencing employment.

It does not specify any exclusion for Scotland so presumeably it applies up here as well.

I take it the reason for both these rights is the relatively recent change in legislation to permit Sunday Opening of these premises.

You could reasonably argue why does this not apply to other workers in similar enterprises such as Cinemas, Pubs and Bingo Halls etc. :p

telstarbox

Established Member
I think you can tell your employer that you don't want to work Sundays when you start employment - you don't have to do 2 months of Sunday work first. It just means that if you change your mind subsequently you have to give 3 months' notice. When I started my first job in retail (in 2005) I had to sign a form to say I was happy to do Sunday work (which was fine with me as it was 1.5x pay at the time!)

richw

Veteran Member
I would quite like to work Sundays in honesty. Problem is my employer doesn't operate Sundays. Would rather have a day off in the week when in general kids are in school, most are working, and every where is a bit quieter!

michael769

Established Member
The above rights were extended to Scotland a few years ago following a private members bill introduced in response to A major retailer trying to force long standing staff to join a Sunday rota.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.