• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sunderland docks

Status
Not open for further replies.

davo882000

Hi guys

Does anyone know if there are any future plans to have the line re opened to sunderland docks... I've heard they still have engine down there?

Anymore info gratefully appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
sprinterguy should know more about this as he's from that neck of the woods but don't think there are any plans at present. Sunderland is in a quite unfortunate position of having to compete against two much bigger ports on the Tyne and Tees, and others such as Blyth and Seaham which all have rail access that is currently used.

sprinterguy

Established Member
As 142094 says, I don't know of any plans for future rail development of the port, when it has such stiff competition at close quarters from the ports of Tyne and Tees.

AFAIK at least one of Sunderland Port Authoritys' two Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 diesel shunters, and quite possibly both, are still based there, tucked away in their little tin shed waiting for any future work.

jim field

I can confirm the Port of Sunderland still have their Ruston Hornsby diesel electric shunters, Nos 21 & 22 respectively.Matthew Hunt, the Port Director,has recently commissioned a survey on the viable access to the main line which looks promising.Whilst there is no longer a line around the dock estate there is still access to Corporation Quay,Fina sidings & what was previously No1 coal berth.Although there has been very few cargos that have utilised the rail link over the years steel blooms,h-girders,aluminium slabs,scrap,chipboard,paper pulp & some imported coal have all used the rail facility.

Established Member
Welcome to the forum Jim. First time I've heard of this plan, any idea what they want to do? Rail access for freight I guess?

jim field

Up to now there is nothing specific,all I know is that there are interested parties in using the link.I will keep you posted if anything eventually materealises!

Status
Not open for further replies.