• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Surbiton (& Guildford Diversions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintonian

Established Member
Quick question.

I'm going to be in Houslow later (by Hounslow Central) and will be comming back late, my plan was to get the bus to Surbiton and catch the 01:35 back to Winchester but I realised on my way up that is is set down only at Surbiton, what are my chances of getting that train at Surbiton? Will the station be locked and opened just to let passengers out?

Otherwise I need a way to leave Hounslow arround 00:30 and still get home.

Sent from my HTC Desire S

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Quick question.

I'm going to be in Houslow later (by Hounslow Central) and will be comming back late, my plan was to get the bus to Surbiton and catch the 01:35 back to Winchester but I realised on my way up that is is set down only at Surbiton, what are my chances of getting that train at Surbiton? Will the station be locked and opened just to let passengers out?

Otherwise I need a way to leave Hounslow arround 00:30 and still get home.

If its only set down, there will have to be a night egress/access doorway
this does not answer your access question on to the train http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sur/details.html says open 24 hours

I used the station a lot when I was working in the area a few years ago.

Last edited:

Oracle

Established Member
I agree...having lived in Hounslow West and then after moving down to Southampton, needed to get home late after seeing parents. My son uses the coach as against the train to get home from Hounslow.

wintonian

Established Member
Traveline says Picc to Heathrow, then a Nat Ex coach to Winchester :P

Traveline says Picc to Heathrow, then a Nat Ex coach to Winchester :P
And you can Surbiton off with that idea.:p

Do you think the guard will mind if I jump on or will I have some hassle?

wintonian

Established Member
I agree...having lived in Hounslow West and then after moving down to Southampton, needed to get home late after seeing parents. My son uses the coach as against the train to get home from Hounslow.

Really? Is this more sensible than I think?

Norman

YOU should be fine are I've seen people getting on there before obviously you cannot gurantee every guard will be fine about it.

Oracle

Established Member
Very sensible suggestion from the member. Fairly cheap too. However, an online search shows the coach leaving T123 at 00.30 and the next at 06.00 and the last Victoria seems to be 23.30.

Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Do you think the guard will mind if I jump on or will I have some hassle?

1.At Surbiton is the train shown as departing from the station? Check Nat Rail
after midnight tonight.

2.You will get on the train, or spend the night at the station,why not phone the toc & ask, giving a good reason, not setting it up before is not worth it,esp if the guard is having a bad night.

Bob

Oracle

Established Member
Another thought: walk down Lampton Road then Bell Road etc to Hounslow station, get the 23.31 to Woking and then change on to the 00.37 to Winchester, arriving 01.17.

Nat Rail site however says Surbiton 00.09 to Winchester arriving 01.17 or 00.50 arriving 03.02, so no suggestion that it's not permitted to board!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
IIRC there's another reason this service is set down only, it is so they can run it via the Windsor lines without any warning being needed at places en route such as Surbiton.

All they have to do then is bus people in the down direction to Wimbledon and Surbiton, but don't have to worry about picking people up at those calling points...

The Colonel

IIRC there's another reason this service is set down only, it is so they can run it via the Windsor lines without any warning being needed at places en route such as Surbiton.

All they have to do then is bus people in the down direction to Wimbledon and Surbiton, but don't have to worry about picking people up at those calling points...

Exactly - check there are no overnight eng works affecting it before you try it. The 01.05 is set down only at all stations apart from Vauxhall, Clapham and Woking. The SWT Timetable Table 1 shows it as set down only at Basingstoke, but Table 2 shows it calling there. I believe it can be diverted via the Portsmouth Direct from Woking to Southampton. If at Woking there's no punters for intermediate stops the replacement transport won't go to those stations.

sonic2009

Established Member
Is. 0001 too early?

0001 Hounslow - Weybridge 0038
0048 Weybridge - Woking 0058
0220 Woking - Winchester 0302

Also your 0135 is diverted via Claygate to Guildford then to Woking

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Exactly - check there are no overnight eng works affecting it before you try it. The 01.05 is set down only at all stations apart from Vauxhall, Clapham and Woking. The SWT Timetable Table 1 shows it as set down only at Basingstoke, but Table 2 shows it calling there. I believe it can be diverted via the Portsmouth Direct from Woking to Southampton. If at Woking there's no punters for intermediate stops the replacement transport won't go to those stations.

Shown as set down only at BSK tonight.

Helvellyn

Established Member
1B01 (01:05 Waterloo - Southampton Central) is showing as booked arrival at Winchester of 03:03 tonight. That is 30 minutes later than normal, so somewhere on route it is being diverted due to engineering works.

Online journey planner still shows it arriving at Surbiton at 01:35, so it would suggest the diversion off route is after Surbiton, however it is not unknown for late notice diversions to be pit in place because of emergency engineering works. As other posters have said, this is why it is set down only at many places as it allows for bustitution to take place.

sonic2009

Established Member
Yes after Surbiton being booked via Claygate, Effingham Junction, London Road (Guildford), Guildford and then to Woking.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
1B01 (01:05 Waterloo - Southampton Central) is showing as booked arrival at Winchester of 03:03 tonight. That is 30 minutes later than normal, so somewhere on route it is being diverted due to engineering works.

Online journey planner still shows it arriving at Surbiton at 01:35, so it would suggest the diversion off route is after Surbiton, however it is not unknown for late notice diversions to be pit in place because of emergency engineering works. As other posters have said, this is why it is set down only at many places as it allows for bustitution to take place.

Diverted after Surbiton via Claygate, Oxshott, Effingham Junction and Guildford.

Guildford is a calling point and not set down only.

Code:
Surbiton [SUR]                   0135  0135
Hinchley Wood [HYW]              Pass  0138
Claygate [CLG]                   Pass  0140
Oxshott [OXS]                    Pass  0142
Cobham & Stoke d'Abernon [CSD]   Pass  0143
Effingham Junction [EFF]         Pass  0147
Horsley [HSY]                    Pass  0147 
Clandon [CLA]                    Pass  0151  	  
London Road (Guildford) [LRD]    Pass  0154  	  
Guildford [GLD]                  0158  0205  
Worplesdon [WPL]                 Pass  0209
Woking [WOK]                     0213  0220

wintonian

Established Member
Well I'm at Surbiton, unfortunatly the guy on the station doesn't seem to friendly as he just told an enthusiast not to take photos on the station.

Well I made it by hideing round the corner out of sight, started get worried when it was 2 down at Berrylands but didn't arrive at Surbiton untill 10 down, having been held up by a bit freight with Not work Rail onboard with some new shinny rails, that pulled into plt 4 where they all hopped off for some reason and jumped back on after a while.

Anyway thanks for all the help, much appreciated as allways.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Well I made it by hideing round the corner out of sight, started get worried when it was 2 down at Berrylands but didn't arrive at Surbiton untill 10 down, having been held up by a bit freight with Not work Rail onboard with some new shinny rails, that pulled into plt 4 where they all hopped off for some reason and jumped back on after a while.

You made it home alright then I guess. I see that it was 2 down at WIN so you made up for time along the way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Funny one this, departing soon:

Code:
Headcode: 2F02 16/12/2011 0330 Guildford [GLD] to London Waterloo [WAT] 
This Train is operated by South West Trains

Guildford [GLD]                         0330
Worplesdon [WPL]                  Pass  0334
Woking [WOK]                      0339  0345
Worplesdon [WPL]                  Pass  0349
Guildford [GLD]                   0353  0400
London Road (Guildford) [LRD]     Pass  0403
Clandon [CLA]                     Pass  0407
Horsley [HSY]                     Pass  0412
Effingham Junction [EFF]          Pass  0413
Cobham & Stoke d'Abernon [CSD]    Pass  0415
Oxshott [OXS]                     Pass  0417
Claygate [CLG]                    Pass  0418
Hinchley Wood [HYW]               Pass  0420
Surbiton [SUR]                    0424  0424
Berrylands [BRS]                  Pass  0426
New Malden [NEM]                  Pass  0428
Raynes Park [RAY]                 Pass  0429
Wimbledon [WIM]                   0431  0432
Wandsworth Town [WNT]             Pass  0442
Clapham Junction [CLJ]            0443  0444
Queenstown Road Battersea [QRB]   Pass  0446
Vauxhall [VXH]                    Pass  0450
London Waterloo [WAT]             0453

Why call at Guildford twice? I assume there was normally a sufficient number of passengers going Guildford - Woking at this time of the day?

Eagle

Established Member
How to run a service from Guildford to London via Woking when the line's shut beyond Woking... send the train back to Guildford and pick a different route! :lol: (Looks like the booked route's via Oxshott.)

Attachments

• the hell.png
    the hell.png
    23 KB · Views: 30

wintonian

Established Member
You made it home alright then I guess. I see that it was 2 down at WIN so you made up for time along the way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Funny one this, departing soon:

Code:
Headcode: 2F02 16/12/2011 0330 Guildford [GLD] to London Waterloo [WAT] 
This Train is operated by South West Trains

Guildford [GLD]                         0330
Worplesdon [WPL]                  Pass  0334
Woking [WOK]                      0339  0345
Worplesdon [WPL]                  Pass  0349
Guildford [GLD]                   0353  0400
London Road (Guildford) [LRD]     Pass  0403
Clandon [CLA]                     Pass  0407
Horsley [HSY]                     Pass  0412
Effingham Junction [EFF]          Pass  0413
Cobham & Stoke d'Abernon [CSD]    Pass  0415
Oxshott [OXS]                     Pass  0417
Claygate [CLG]                    Pass  0418
Hinchley Wood [HYW]               Pass  0420
Surbiton [SUR]                    0424  0424
Berrylands [BRS]                  Pass  0426
New Malden [NEM]                  Pass  0428
Raynes Park [RAY]                 Pass  0429
Wimbledon [WIM]                   0431  0432
Wandsworth Town [WNT]             Pass  0442
Clapham Junction [CLJ]            0443  0444
Queenstown Road Battersea [QRB]   Pass  0446
Vauxhall [VXH]                    Pass  0450
London Waterloo [WAT]             0453

Why call at Guildford twice? I assume there was normally a sufficient number of passengers going Guildford - Woking at this time of the day?

Got home about 15/ 20 min ago.

Quite a lot of people got off the 01:05 ex Waterloo at Guildford which was quite busy for a Thursday but then it is Christmas, but I did perhaps think that the Diversion was also acting as another timetabled Guldford service?

Must be something to do with the engineering works.

There is normaly a 04:00 Guildford to Waterloo calling at Woking, Surbiton and Clapham Juinction but it does NOT call at Worplesdon, so it seem strange that this amended service calls there twice.

From SWT: "04:00 Guildford to London Waterloo will run at the earlier time of 03:30 with journey times extended by approximately 30 minutes"

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is normaly a 04:00 Guildford to Waterloo calling at Woking, Surbiton and Clapham Juinction but it does NOT call at Worplesdon, so it seem strange that this amended service calls there twice.

It doesn't call at Worplesdon. It is only a timing point. The calling pattern is Guildford, Woking, Guildford, Surbiton, Wimbledon, Clapham J and London Waterloo.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
How to run a service from Guildford to London via Woking when the line's shut beyond Woking... send the train back to Guildford and pick a different route! :lol: (Looks like the booked route's via Oxshott.)

Ahem. Read the other threads. ;)

Edit: Threads now merged.

wintonian

Established Member
It doesn't call at Worplesdon. It is only a timing point.

Long hard day and not thinking clearly :oops:- going to bed in a mo so youll have to work this one out yourself :p

Searching the journey planner on east coast by sticking in Guildford or Woking to Waterloo shows the departure from Woking so it must be extended for some reason, but as one would expect the first Guildford doesn't appear as its not the quickest way - even specifying via Woking doesn't make it show.

Coupling up to an ECS move due to the track works to position for the morning for some reason possibly?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.