• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Survey regarding storage of personal items while commuting

Status
Not open for further replies.

14fishere

I'm doing a school project on commuting and would really appreciate it if I could get some feedback on the following:
Do you find storage and organisation of personal items a problem when commuting?
Do you think a product helping organise personal items for commuters would be useful?
Do you think being more organised wit personal items and storage would improve your commute?
Any kind of feedback would be much appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I'm doing a school project on commuting and would really appreciate it if I could get some feedback on the following:
Do you find storage and organisation of personal items a problem when commuting?
Do you think a product helping organise personal items for commuters would be useful?
Do you think being more organised wit personal items and storage would improve your commute?

1) No
2 I have one, a bag.
3) I know everything is in my bag, so I don't need that improving.

What sort of item or product do you envisage?

14fishere

I was picturing a hands-free product perhaps for phones for particularly busy areas such as platforms or tubes, where people might find it hard to keep everything organised and access their possessions easily while not being able to go through bags or pockets.

route:oxford

Established Member

There is a chap called Brian Souter, he's a multi-millionaire and owns a fair chunk of Stagecoach. He famously carries nothing more than a Tesco carrier bag when he commutes. It carries everything he needs and he can get a brand new one for 5p when it wears out.

People generally travel light when they commute and only take the minimal amount of stuff to carry - don't forget they've probably got a desk at their workplace where they can keep a lot of stuff. They also, particularly people with an early start, tend to be very organised anyway arriving at the same time, buying the same coffee, standing in the same position on the platform, sitting or standing in the same place on the train. The same people take turns to use the toilets to change in or out of their cycling lycra - some don't bother and just get changed at their seat - they aren't showing any more skin than they would at the beach or swimming pool.

It might be a good idea, subject to age and personal safety etc, for you to take a peak time train (around a one hour journey) to see what people actually do. I think you might be disappointed, from my own experience, people sit down, and play with their phones for an hour. Some women might put on make-up, but that's about it.

randyrippley

Established Member
I was picturing a hands-free product perhaps for phones for particularly busy areas such as platforms or tubes, where people might find it hard to keep everything organised and access their possessions easily while not being able to go through bags or pockets.
Isn't that called a rucksack?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Its an interesting question. I generally carry a rucksack, which goes straight in the overhead luggage rack.

In terms of smaller items, I do find myself fumbling between my mobile phone and ticket wallet etc at times which can be a nuisance. However I can't see myself storing these anywhere other than my pocket as they would be difficult/expensive to replace.

The biggest issue I have is juggling with my phone while using it, and a cup of tea as the trains I use don't have tables.

gazthomas

Established Member
When I commute I have my rucksack on thr rack and my wallet and phone in my internal suit pockets - most suits have 2 good sized ones plus a smaller one. In reality I play with my phone all the way!

DPQ

There is a chap called Brian Souter, he's a multi-millionaire and owns a fair chunk of Stagecoach. He famously carries nothing more than a Tesco carrier bag when he commutes. It carries everything he needs and he can get a brand new one for 5p when it wears out.

Tesco charge 10p for carrier bags now...

Jonfun

Established Member
Trying to get through ticket barriers with a cup of coffee is a pain. Maybe have like a conveyor belt that fits on top of the gate that you put your coffee on and when you put your ticket in it whizzes your coffee down to the other end of the gate so you can pick it up and be on your way safely with no risk of spilling hot liquid over yourself?

6Gman

Established Member
I was more thinking of something easier to access- rucksacks might be hard to access on a busy tube or platform when you have to take them off or sit them down to go through them

How much stuff do you think commuters need to carry?
How much of this stuff do they need to access during the journey?

randyrippley

Established Member
I was more thinking of something easier to access- rucksacks might be hard to access on a busy tube or platform when you have to take them off or sit them down to go through them
You don't want anything that's easier to access: easy to access means easy to steal from.
A rucksack is on your back, it can't be stolen until you physically take it off, but you wont do that until you're on the train (and maybe not then if you're standing). Anything you need immediate access to (wallet, tickets) is in your pockets. And if you want to pull a newspaper out of a rucksack, its not really a problem.
Of course some women carry handbags, and so do a few men: but few are going to want to carry a handbag and another piece of hand luggage

For those who really want full-hands free capability, there's the good old fishing vest to carry all your junk. But its already been invented. Perhaps one of these in fashionable colours? More likely to appeal to women as they have fewer pockets

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Without wishing to be rude to the
all you need us a bag of some sort.

So.e of us would settle for a seat ;) hang on. I have got it. The commuter stick. Like a shooting stick but more expensive ( think fold up bike).

No. Dont thank me. I will take 25% of all income.

broadgage

1 No
2 I have a reusable canvas shopping bag, these last for ages, can be replaced for £1 and are recycled unlike plastic.
3 Not really, I place the bag in the luggage rack after removing from it anything that I am likely to want during the journey. Newspaper, on table wallet containing money and tickets in trouser pocket. Cellphone on table if I am likely to want it, otherwise in bag.

randyrippley

Established Member
Without wishing to be rude to the
all you need us a bag of some sort.

So.e of us would settle for a seat ;) hang on. I have got it. The commuter stick. Like a shooting stick but more expensive ( think fold up bike).

No. Dont thank me. I will take 25% of all income.

but the spike would ruin the carpet, and you could be in real danger on a pendolino

jon0844

Veteran Member

I sometimes have a rucksack, but often prefer a 'manbag' or satchel or whatever their real name is. It's quite flat which means I can sit at a table or seat and keep it with me, by my feet or lap, without it being too bulky. If I'm at a table, I can slide it up and down between my legs (hmm, maybe should have reworded that) for easy access (cough) which is preferable to trying to get in and out of a rucksack.

The bag can take my laptop, various phones/tablets and chargers, paperwork and other things. I rarely have anything bulky. If I need to fold a top or thin jacket then it's not ideal, nor is carrying anything more than a bottle of water (a flask is a bit too big).

Another reason I like this bag is that if it's down by my feet, the shoulder strap can remain on my lap so I know it hasn't been stolen. I am also extremely unlikely to leave it behind (as people do with bags on overhead racks all the time).

It's actually quite interesting to see (as another poster has mentioned) what regular rail users do.. Some will have got a very organised system set up that they never deviate from. Others you do wonder if they might improve their commute/travel by changing the way they do things.

As many people are influenced by fashion and brands, if a big name brand came up with a 'commuter bag' then maybe it would sell because of that brand (and if seen in use by paid celebs/influencers) but otherwise it's more a case of train designers working around what people carry than having bags that better fit on trains.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
For those who really want full-hands free capability, there's the good old fishing vest to carry all your junk. But its already been invented. Perhaps one of these in fashionable colours? More likely to appeal to women as they have fewer pockets

s-l500.jpg
Somebody wearing one of those under a jacket or coat on a busy commuter service wouldn't cause panic at all would it?

Abpj17

Commuters are a pretty experienced bunch. We’ve usually sorted out what works for us. With the exception of impractical items like cups of tea…

As someone else on the thread say, commuters do a very basic things:
  • talk to a friend/partner
  • work on laptop
  • drink tea/coffee
  • read/play/music on phone
  • doze
That’s pretty much it.

The ideas have might have niche potential already mentioned are a commuting version of a fishing vest. Potentially with a little fold out table. However, I’m not sure anyone would ever be seen wearing one!

Unlike a number of posters, I don’t put stuff in the luggage rack - I worry about leaving behind.

My bag will normally have a fair amount in though - laptop; two phones; water bottle; books/paper; charging things; pouch with cards/cash etc. Carrier bag definitely not strong enough lol. And other variants of shopping bag/canvas bag are impractical because of the risk of stuff falling out.

I’ll have to confess that I’ve never seen a commuter changing on the train. I wonder if this characteristic is reserved to early birds.

(And as an aside I do wish women wouldn’t spray or be heavily doused in perfume.)

jon0844

Veteran Member
The ideas have might have niche potential already mentioned are a commuting version of a fishing vest. Potentially with a little fold out table. However, I’m not sure anyone would ever be seen wearing one!

If Apple made such an item, you can be sure everyone would have one.

The iVest X (that's 10 compartments) for just £499.99. With space for your iPhone, MacBook Pro, Beats headphones, Apple watch charger, MacBook USB-C adapters (9 compartments), Hipster beard trimmer, and cup holder for your latte or cappuccino. Fitted with Face ID so if anyone else looks at your bag in a suspicious way, it sets off an alarm.

Or if the person it identifies looks like someone who might need your seat (old, disabled or pregnant), it sends a subtle vibration to your watch so you can make sure NOT to look up and pretend to be really into that Metro news story.

xotGD

Established Member
A thermally insulated bladder for hands-free coffee drinking. That's what we need.

I just have my briefcase with my laptop etc and an umbrella in it. Tempt fate somewhat by putting it in the overhead rack, but I make sure it's slightly ahead of my seat (when I'm lucky enough to get one) so I can easily look up and check it's not been nicked at intermediate stations.
Not left it behind yet...

Spend the commute listening to music and burning through my mobile data

Possible stuff that would make my commute more bearable?
- Clip-on battery powered fan*
- Powerbank*
- Fold-down tables on seat backs^
- At seat USB power^
- More comfy seats^
- Wi-Fi^
- Aircon^
- Longer, more frequent, more reliable trains^
- erm,
- that's it

*Few quid from Amazon, once out of bag only need to put back at end of journey
^Northern commuter, so I may as well be asking for my own helicopter