• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SVR class 50 event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I went yesterday and think it was a really good event. It must have taken some organising and manning. It was a really nice day out. Thankfully it wasn't that busy meaning there were seats for all and the level of spottery silliness was also low. I doubt Saturday will be the same!

No idea of the locomotives I travelled behind but lots were blue! I did get d400 in which was nice at that was one of the few I travelled behind in service. Being north east based in the pre internet days 50's were an almost mythical beast that lived in some far away kingdom that travellers told tall tails about.

I thought the one in green undercoat sounded rough until I saw half the roof was missing and talked to some of the chaps who had made it work. Incredible restoration. Letting people write their messages on the side for £5 must have netted them enough for a full repaint! OBVIOUSLY I would never lower myself to write a wibbly spotter slogan on a locomotive you understand!

I did hear some chuntering about the intercity one but think if you want to complain join the owning group and help out.

My only gripe was I missed the nse liveried one and thunderer stayed on a demonstration ballast working all day (which looked very tarka line with the rusted seacows) but they mid minor personal gripes.

Finally the only downside was that only really Valiant looked right: work stained large logo. Also not one main generator flash over. Poor show ;)

PS pictures to follow at some point. Say xmas.........

Ash Bridge

Established Member
A nice set of shots there Matt...I can also appreciate the comment above from DarloRich regarding 50008 on the Seacow ballast wagon rake, you would almost swear that shot was taken somewhere near Yeoford on the North Devon line circa early 1990s!

theblackwatch

Established Member
I attended yesterday evening and today, and thought it was an excellent event. Every loco worked to diagrma (OP take note!), the timetable was robust and not over-ambitious - a huge amount of work had obviously gone into the whole thing, especially getting 50033 back in action after more than 14 years out of service. As of yesterday morning, they needed around £5,000 more for the repaint - I gather that the donations yesterday came to around £1,500, so hopefully with today and tomorrows takings, it will get sufficient to fund it. A unique way of raising the money, but I get a bucket taken down the train wouldn't have got that much in it!

HOOVER29

Out of curiosity how much does a top notch paint job for a loco such as 033 cost?
(Btw Please be large logo)

Edders23

I attended yesterday evening and today, and thought it was an excellent event. Every loco worked to diagrma (OP take note!), the timetable was robust and not over-ambitious - a huge amount of work had obviously gone into the whole thing, especially getting 50033 back in action after more than 14 years out of service. As of yesterday morning, they needed around £5,000 more for the repaint - I gather that the donations yesterday came to around £1,500, so hopefully with today and tomorrows takings, it will get sufficient to fund it. A unique way of raising the money, but I get a bucket taken down the train wouldn't have got that much in it!

I was there on the Thursday and did state in an earlier post as well as the comment about the missed station stop !!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A nice set of shots there Matt...I can also appreciate the comment above from DarloRich regarding 50008 on the Seacow ballast wagon rake, you would almost swear that shot was taken somewhere near Yeoford on the North Devon line circa early 1990s!
That’s exactly what I thought when I saw that.
That photo reminded me of my youth.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

The pictures by Matt are better than mine but Thunderer really did look great on the ballast. Real Devon or Cornwall branch line tinewarp stuff.

Harbon 1

The once to often through the wash plant large logo blue is my favourite livery for a class 50!

Some feed back for next time: more oil down the sides and along the roof

;)
We’re halfway through repairing and repainting the roof so give it time...we like the oil look too!

bussnapperwm

Established Member
I was on 50049 on Thursday and on one of the ex Bridgnorth trips, my brother told me only the loco and front coach was on the platform at Highley - he only knew as he had alighted there. (I was too engaged in working on my crossword - a class 50 themed one which I had created at work in a lunch break the previous week - to have noticed it have stopping short)

Harbon 1

I was on 50049 on Thursday and on one of the ex Bridgnorth trips, my brother told me only the loco and front coach was on the platform at Highley - he only knew as he had alighted there. (I was too engaged in working on my crossword - a class 50 themed one which I had created at work in a lunch break the previous week - to have noticed it have stopping short)
Highley is a very short platform and I think one of the rakes had the guards van at one end

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well come on then 172. Are you going to share the crossword with the class..?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

My video from Friday of the event

Status
Not open for further replies.