• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swiss Rail Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groningen

Established Member
Jungfrau Travel Pass
3, 4, 5 or 6 days? Pick up your Jungfrau Travel Pass now. Travel for the desired number of consecutive days as often as you want on the route network listed below. The pass for 5 and 6 days includes the Interlaken Ost - Interlaken West train journey and the boat trip on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. All Jungfrau Travel Pass holders also benefit from a 50% discount on the route Eigergletscher - Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe

VALID ON THE FOLLOWING ROUTES
Bernese Oberland Railway: Interlaken Ost - Lauterbrunnen
Bernese Oberland Railway: Interlaken Ost - Grindelwald
Wengernalp Railway: Lauterbrunnen - Kleine Scheidegg - Grindelwald
Jungfrau Railway: Kleine Scheidegg - Eigergletscher
Lauterbrunnen-Mürren railway: Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp - Mürren
Harder Railway: Interlaken – Harder Kulm
First Railway: Grindelwald - First

PRICES
Jungfrau Travel Pass for adults, 2nd class
3 days CHF 180.-
4 days CHF 205.-
5 days CHF 230.-
6 days CHF 255.-

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gordon

Thanks all
Hereare my plans as I now have Flights and Hotels booked

Day 1 Arrive Geneva . Train to Montreux then slow train to Spiez (Hotel Bellevue in Spiez)
Day 2 local (Hotel Bellevue in Spiez)
Day 3 Local (Hotel Bellevue in Spiez)
Day 4 Travel to Brig then on the route of Glacier Express to Filisur, (Hotel Grischuna Filisur)
Day 5 Local (Hotel Grischuna Filisur)
Day 6 Local (Hotel Grischuna Filisur)
Day 7 local (Hotel Grischuna Filisur)
Day 8 Bernina Express route to Tirano then onto Varenna, Italy (Stay overnight
Day 9 On to Malpensa (Fly home)

This gives me 2 days in Spiez are and 3 days in Filisur.
Spiez area :visit Interlaken and maybe Wengen or a trip to Bern
Filisr Area : Chur and onto Arosa, St Moritz, and some walks locally

Nice one!

I appreciate my most recent suggestions were too late in the day, but your itinerary looks fine.

I'm pleased you seem to have taken on board my suggestion of the Hotel Bellevue in Spiez, and a trip to Bern. I'm sure you will really appreciate the nature of the expansive view from Spiez upper town which you wouldn't really get from a hotel in 'downtown' Interlaken. As for Bern I'm sure you will find it very enjoyable. The arcaded shopping streets, Zytglogge http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/zytglogge-bern.html
clock tower, trams in cobbled city centre, new Bear park, Rosengarten and cityscape are all very pleasant - and of course Bern is so compact by comparison to other European capital cities.

Another advantage of the Bellevue over Interlaken is that you may get a spare few minutes here and there to sit on Spiez station and watch the Lötschberg heavy freight, rolling motorway etc.

Plus of course you can walk downhill to the landing stage, take a boat to Interlaken (or indeed Thun) and come back by train.

I would reiterate the suggestion of Murren as being a better option than Wengen

When preparing for day trips, you can economise by buying picnic items from the Migros supermarket close to the station.

sdrennan

Cant do everything but hopefully we will get a good taste.
Thanks for the supermarket details. I've already looked at the boat trips with the train for the opposite direction. Good idea.
Only 4 months to go ??????

martinB

Cant do everything but hopefully we will get a good taste.
Thanks for the supermarket details. I've already looked at the boat trips with the train for the opposite direction. Good idea.
Only 4 months to go ��

Having got to Spiez, I wouldn't then hightail it to Bern for the day...

+1 for lake cruise to Thun or Interlaken (note the latter has catered for tourists for many, many years, and it shows)

+1 for Lauterbrunen and (cablecar/railway) to Murren (back down via cable car and bus)

Others:

Brienzer Rothorn (via lake cruise and/or train from Brienz to Interlaken) - cog railway

Top of Stockhorn is an excellent trip for exposed cable car and glass view platform out of the side of the mountain

Lauterbrunen/Wengeralp/Grindlewald

Schynige Platte - cog railway

or, less interesting, but cheaper, for a minor elevated trip: Harder Kulm from Interlaken.

There's a huge amount to do combining sightseeing and travel.

I can fill a 10 day BOB card with no problem...

Gordon

Having got to Spiez, I wouldn't then hightail it to Bern for the day...

My reason for suggesting Bern was just to offer the option of something to contrast with the mountains and tourist resorts

...and Bern is only 29 minutes from Spiez by IC

Last edited:

Veteran Member
My reason for suggesting Bern was just to offer the option of something to contrast with the mountains and tourist resorts

...and Bern is only 29 minutes from Spiez by IC

Or something for a wet day! Vivid memory of taking the alternative route via Belp on such a day on honeymoon and bumping into two of our wedding guests doing the same thing (he being the enthusiast, she being tolerant as you might guess) who then did their best to avoid us in Bern - but it's a small city, as has been said....

sdrennan

My intention was to use the regional trains however my wife wants to use the glacier express for this route. She is the boss so I have agreed ??????

I do however want to stop en route (Andermatt) for a mid journey break. The reservation fee is 33chf. If I take 2 different Glacier express trains the does that mean 2 reservation fees or can I get away with one

Gordon

My intention was to use the regional trains however my wife wants to use the glacier express for this route. She is the boss so I have agreed ��

I do however want to stop en route (Andermatt) for a mid journey break. The reservation fee is 33chf. If I take 2 different Glacier express trains the does that mean 2 reservation fees or can I get away with one

I have never reserved a train in Switzerland in my life, but you would be booking two separate journeys so I would be extremely surprised if the supplement was not required to be paid twice over.

However, there is a not perfect, but nevertheless possible, solution. All Eastbound Glacier Expresses stay at Disentis Muster for 32 minutes (xx.55 to xx.27). I've witnessed passengers enjoying the break and strolling around the station/using the cafe.

Or compromise with the regional train Brig - Andermatt, pause and change trains , then Glacier Express Andermatt - Filisur

Abpj17

Have fun - it's beautiful.

The route I've done before is fly into Geneva (best airport for me) - train to Lucerne for a night or two; then to Interlaken. Interlaken the town didn't really appeal, but the surroundings are amazing - Lauterbrunnen and the valley is one of the most beautiful places I've seen in the world. The descent down the east side of the valley by train is stunning too. One of my favourite other views is the curving descent into Montreux when you arrive the long way round from Interlaken.

I didn't get to do the Italian bit, so am entirely jealous of that!

I got the train pass at the train station in geneva. It only took a couple of minutes.

themiller

Jungfrau Travel Pass
3, 4, 5 or 6 days? Pick up your Jungfrau Travel Pass now. Travel for the desired number of consecutive days as often as you want on the route network listed below. The pass for 5 and 6 days includes the Interlaken Ost - Interlaken West train journey and the boat trip on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. All Jungfrau Travel Pass holders also benefit from a 50% discount on the route Eigergletscher - Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe

VALID ON THE FOLLOWING ROUTES
Bernese Oberland Railway: Interlaken Ost - Lauterbrunnen
Bernese Oberland Railway: Interlaken Ost - Grindelwald
Wengernalp Railway: Lauterbrunnen - Kleine Scheidegg - Grindelwald
Jungfrau Railway: Kleine Scheidegg - Eigergletscher
Lauterbrunnen-Mürren railway: Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp - Mürren
Harder Railway: Interlaken – Harder Kulm
First Railway: Grindelwald - First

PRICES
Jungfrau Travel Pass for adults, 2nd class
3 days CHF 180.-
4 days CHF 205.-
5 days CHF 230.-
6 days CHF 255.-

Sorry if this has been suggested before but for slightly more than the cost of a Jungfrau pass, you could buy a Berner Oberland Pass which has a much greater area of validity. http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/en/tickets-de/regionalpaesse/regionalpass-berner-oberland.html

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Go to Lauterbrunnen and then on to Murren by the BLM. It's another interesting railway and the views from Murren to the Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger are absolutely fantastic.

Or go to Kandersteg, and walk or cable-car up to the Oeschinensee.

Or go to Schynige Platte.

All lovely places. Explore on Google Earth.

I'll second all of that. Just wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.