• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 158's and 159's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello there. Today, according to 'Rail Engineer' and 'Rail Technology', an SWR Class 159 will be trialled with SCR.

I hope catalytic converters will be fitted to these trains, then about time too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whhistle

On Moderation
Scantilly Clad Rail-workers?
Silly Clouds of Rain?
Some Clout Rookie?
Silicon Controlled Rectifiers?

Ohh, it stands for Selective Catalytic Reduction.

Thanks!

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Sorry, didn't think to add what SCR stood for sorry . Yes, I meant Selective Catalytic Reduction.

superkev

Established Member
Engines gearboxes must have an end life when they cant be overhauled any more although I've no idea how long this is. Think London's Routemaster some now on there third engines.
I wonder if a class 172 power pack would fit rather than fitting after treatment to the existing and the 172 gearbox is more efficient.
K

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Engines gearboxes must have an end life when they cant be overhauled any more although I've no idea how long this is. Think London's Routemaster some now on there third engines.
I wonder if a class 172 power pack would fit rather than fitting after treatment to the existing and the 172 gearbox is more efficient.
K
They tried other gearboxes (at least) within the last few years but I don’t think the results were sufficiently impressive for a fleetwide change. I suppose it’s all about payback within the probable remaining life, maybe 10 years max?

Status
Not open for further replies.