• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR class 456 at Derby RTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
Well, as built they had one (small, inaccessible) toilet per set, but these were removed either by Connex SC or GoVia Southern, I forget which.
They only lasted perhaps 2 or 3 years they then gone [locked out off use] - perhaps about 1993
vandalism and operationally very inconvenient [toilet emptying ]put paid to that ??

Last edited by a moderator:

janahan

Aren’t the pipes and cable connections necessary to multiple with 455s, it’s not as if they were really optional at the time...
I know why they are there (for connection to the 455, and possibly also possibly to some Slam door stock? not entirely sure about that)
But they do make the front look worse than the 321s, and I know its very silly, but i just keep subconsiously comparing it to the 321s that I was more used to.

I wonder what drivers thought of them though?

DustyBin

Established Member
I know why they are there (for connection to the 455, and possibly also possibly to some Slam door stock? not entirely sure about that)
But they do make the front look worse than the 321s, and I know its very silly, but i just keep subconsiously comparing it to the 321s that I was more used to.

I believe they could couple with slam door stock (EPB’s onwards) in an emergency only (using adapters possibly?).

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Well, as built they had one (small, inaccessible) toilet per set, but these were removed either by Connex SC or GoVia Southern, I forget which.
It did leave them with one seating bay having no window, though. When SWT inroduced high backed seating, these became very claustrophobic

But they do make the front look worse than the 321s, and I know its very silly, but i just keep subconcsiously comparing it to the 321s that I was more used to.

I don't know, but without a gangway end they probably had more space and a better view ahead. Another change was the saving in space by having the cab door next to the driver, instead of in a cross passage behind the cab as in the 455s.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Have both units returned to service? I'm looking forward to see the 455/456s being withdrawn permanently soon - I'm not a fan as they're slow and unbearable on a summer's day.

DustyBin

Established Member
Have both units returned to service? I'm looking forward to see the 455/456s being withdrawn permanently soon - I'm not a fan as they're slow and unbearable on a summer's day.

I’d take one over a 700, 707 etc. to be honest, I find a lot of the latest stock very unpleasant to travel on. The 75mph geared MK3 stock isn’t that slow really?

physics34

Established Member
They only lasted perhaps 2 or 3 years they then gone [locked out off use] - perhaps about 1993
vandalism and operationally very inconvenient [toilet emptying ]put paid to that ??
The tanks had a tendency to freeze in winter so they were occasionally locked out of use for period of time, but they were generally in use until the slight 'refurb' they had in the late noughties.

Status
Not open for further replies.