• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Commercial Guard - Medical date set!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1978

They will usually be posted to you, so expect it in a few days I’d imagine. I’m not 100% how SWR do things these days, but assuming it’s the same across the FirstGroup, you should receive instructions to carry out your one-boarding’ process, which includes formally accepting the offer. This is all done via their recruitment portal.
They said it would come via email and it should be signed electronically and sent back.

They mentioned a link which would take me to a portal where I can complete information for references. I also still need to provide my disclosure Scotland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJSWEY

Hi there, I have an interview coming up for this position, could anyone give a bit of insight to the process please?

Chris1978

Hi there, I have an interview coming up for this position, could anyone give a bit of insight to the process please?

You will be asked the usual why you want the job and why you think you are suited to the role etc.

You will then be asked a series of scenario based questions where you will need to draw on your past experience, best thing to do is to Google SWR interview questions and prepare a series of possible answers.

Make sure you have researched the job spec inside and out as you will be asked what you think the role will entail and what you think are the most important factors.

Will pay you to know as much as possible about the company, I researched company background including the current corporate structure and who the management are, areas that are covered and routes etc, future plans and even types of trains used, I had pages of detailed notes that I studied in the weeks prior to my interview.

I will say that the interview wasnt anywhere near as bad as I expected, I went in expecting it to be intense and difficult but it was far more laid back and while it definitely paid me to be very prepared it was a pretty standard interview format lasting around a hour.

Just remember with any questions about the job role always have safety as the number one priority.

JaMa9

Congratulations on the job and passing medical. Did they tell you what your shift pattern would be like? I had an offer for Wimbledon depot non commercial guard but declined as I couldn't arrange childcare for full time work at the time! I have seen some say 7 on 2 off, I'm wondering if it varies at each depot...the shift pattern seems quite intense.

Chris1978

Congratulations on the job and passing medical. Did they tell you what your shift pattern would be like? I had an offer for Wimbledon depot non commercial guard but declined as I couldn't arrange childcare for full time work at the time! I have seen some say 7 on 2 off, I'm wondering if it varies at each depot...the shift pattern seems quite intense.

The shift pattern is something I'm a little concerned about, I have a young daughter but fortunately between my partner and our parents we should be ok for childcare, my concern is more how much quality time I will lose with my family.

Dont get me wrong my exact hours have not been confirmed and I'm sure they wont be until after I've started training, I have heard shift patterns are different for each depot but the pattern I've heard my depot runs is 7 on 2 off 7 on 2 off 7 on 4 off so you get a long weekend once per month.
The shift timings are a mix of really early starts where you may finish late morning to lates where you'll start mid afternoon and finish anytime between 10pm and 2am. There are middle shifts too which are somewhere between the earlies and lates.

From what I've learned there are different shift time patterns at each depot with the more senior staff operating the more desirable patterns, it seems that as a newbie you may have to tough it out working the less desirable shift times at least at first anyway.

JaMa9

The shift pattern is something I'm a little concerned about, I have a young daughter but fortunately between my partner and our parents we should be ok for childcare, my concern is more how much quality time I will lose with my family.

Dont get me wrong my exact hours have not been confirmed and I'm sure they wont be until after I've started training, I have heard shift patterns are different for each depot but the pattern I've heard my depot runs is 7 on 2 off 7 on 2 off 7 on 4 off so you get a long weekend once per month.
The shift timings are a mix of really early starts where you may finish late morning to lates where you'll start mid afternoon and finish anytime between 10pm and 2am. There are middle shifts too which are somewhere between the earlies and lates.

From what I've learned there are different shift time patterns at each depot with the more senior staff operating the more desirable patterns, it seems that as a newbie you may have to tough it out working the less desirable shift times at least at first anyway.

Yes the issues you mention about time spent with family was my concern also, not very family friendly although I guess most rail jobs aren't with the hours and shifts. I would really like the job and considering applying again at a later date, just a few things to consider...hope you get on well and keep us updated on how things go.

AJSWEY

You will be asked the usual why you want the job and why you think you are suited to the role etc.

You will then be asked a series of scenario based questions where you will need to draw on your past experience, best thing to do is to Google SWR interview questions and prepare a series of possible answers.

Make sure you have researched the job spec inside and out as you will be asked what you think the role will entail and what you think are the most important factors.

Will pay you to know as much as possible about the company, I researched company background including the current corporate structure and who the management are, areas that are covered and routes etc, future plans and even types of trains used, I had pages of detailed notes that I studied in the weeks prior to my interview.

I will say that the interview wasnt anywhere near as bad as I expected, I went in expecting it to be intense and difficult but it was far more laid back and while it definitely paid me to be very prepared it was a pretty standard interview format lasting around a hour.

Just remember with any questions about the job role always have safety as the number one priority.
Thanks for that! :)

Chris1978

Still not recieved my contract, I contacted recruitment who said it should be on it's way soon something about it was on someone's to do list, didn't sound like they were in a hurry to get it done.
I think it'll arrive via email and will have a link to take me to where I need to go to accept the employment offer and complete reference details etc.
I'm assuming that contractual paperwork and so forth can still be getting done after you've started? Although I'm sure there is a deadline. Basically should I be concerned if my contract and other information relating to my start with SWR hasn't arrived before I have to give notice in my current job?

Also can anyone give a rough outline of the training for commercial guard?
I know it is done at Basingstoke for a duration of 3-4 months spread over Mon-Fri working weeks and much of it is classroom based.

Chris1978

Chris can I ask what the hearing test entailed?

It was actually pretty intense. You are sat in a sound proof booth wearing headphones, a series of beep noises are then played at different levels of volume, you are instructed to press a button each time you hear a sound.
It went on for quite a while and the booth was really hot I was sweating. You are enclosed in the booth so if you are claustrophobic at all let the medical practioner know.

WombleGuard

It was actually pretty intense. You are sat in a sound proof booth wearing headphones, a series of beep noises are then played at different levels of volume, you are instructed to press a button each time you hear a sound.
It went on for quite a while and the booth was really hot I was sweating. You are enclosed in the booth so if you are claustrophobic at all let the medical practioner know.
Brilliant thanks.

WombleGuard

Thanks Chris. Regarding BP, did occupational health take the reading from your GP alone or did you have to revisit them too?

Chris1978

Thanks Chris. Regarding BP, did occupational health take the reading from your GP alone or did you have to revisit them too?

Occupational Health were happy to take just one BP reading from my local GP. They even said they would accept a reading from the self assessment BP machines you can use at most surgerys now provided I then got a stamped print out from the receptionist.

I got a nurse to take my BP and I then got my medical record printed at reception which I then scanned and sent to occupational health. Its worth calling them as well to let them know you've sent it as this seemed to speed up the process, I had a call from SWR the next day to confirm I was now medically cleared to start.

White coat syndrome is quite common, I suffer from it where you get a bit anxious about a medical test and it raises your BP, if this is the case its worth doing the self assessment. I also stayed alcohol free for about a week prior to the BP test and limited my caffeine intake.

WombleGuard

Occupational Health were happy to take just one BP reading from my local GP. They even said they would accept a reading from the self assessment BP machines you can use at most surgerys now provided I then got a stamped print out from the receptionist.

I got a nurse to take my BP and I then got my medical record printed at reception which I then scanned and sent to occupational health. Its worth calling them as well to let them know you've sent it as this seemed to speed up the process, I had a call from SWR the next day to confirm I was now medically cleared to start.

White coat syndrome is quite common, I suffer from it where you get a bit anxious about a medical test and it raises your BP, if this is the case its worth doing the self assessment. I also stayed alcohol free for about a week prior to the BP test and limited my caffeine intake.

Fantastic. Thanks a lot fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.