• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Guards Recruitment 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John_T

Hey everyone,

I love how we are all here sharing our experiences with the process and upcoming training. I have been too shy to actually message until now however very keen to meet anyone that's going to be based at Lon. Waterloo and/or training on 25th April (Basingstoke) :)

Stay safe and perhaps we meet soon :))

KieOShea1

Was due to start on 7th March, back tracked to 25th April due to waiting on a hospital report and now back tracked again to the 23rd May... third time lucky?:lol::lol:

Numbnuts846

Hey everyone,

I love how we are all here sharing our experiences with the process and upcoming training. I have been too shy to actually message until now however very keen to meet anyone that's going to be based at Lon. Waterloo and/or training on 25th April (Basingstoke) :)

Stay safe and perhaps we meet soon :))
I’m on the course starting that day

DMckduck97

Thank you @Fratton Guard? And i do hope you get that fixed date soon! @KieOShea1 .

@Numbnuts846 Thats great! Can’t wait to see how our class is going to be like. I’m excited and also nervous. I guess it’s gonna be a lot to take in and lots of info, rules etc…
Try not to worry about it, at first there is a lot of information to take in, but the trainers are there to help and all the information you need is In the learning materials provided. it is in the best interest to get you all through the process. You’ve arguably already completed the hardest part of the process, getting the job.

Best of luck down at Basingstoke :)

Ditto the above... A commercial guard I know personally recently said to me that if you have been offered a position you have only been offered it if recruitment/hr/management think that you have what it makes to make the grade.

Medical passed today so I'm good to go on 23rd May. So happy after waiting 2.5 years

Passed the medical today. All systems give for 23rd May. Happy days

Last edited:

bill55bill

Ditto the above... A commercial guard I know personally recently said to me that if you have been offered a position you have only been offered it if recruitment/hr/management think that you have what it makes to make the grade.

Medical passed today so I'm good to go on 23rd May. So happy after waiting 2.5 years

Passed the medical today. All systems give for 23rd May. Happy days
2.5 years? wow!

I got a good news/bad news call this week, the good news being I'd passed my interview for metro guard, the 'bad' news being their are currently no vacancies at Wimbledon.

To be honest I'm fine with that as I'm lucky to be employed elsewhere and need to sort out my early retirement options before I hand in my notice anyway.

Was the long delay due to covid rather than anything else? how long am I likely to be waiting does anyone know?

Yes, it was because of Covid. When I did my re-interview, because the one from Dec 2019 had past its shelf life, I was also told there was no immediate vacancies, probably be round September, then a week later got a call offering me May 23rd as people had had to drop out or couldn't give enough notice.

So to answer your question, how long is a piece of string, there isnt really an answer. It depends on the needs of that particular guard depot and where you are in the queue. People retire and move elsewhere or within the company so recruitment runs, I believe, on estimated needs. But if theyre recruiting for it again now I would assume that there will be a need in the not too distant future. New trains coming to the Metro Guard depots and hours being reduced from 41 to 37 later this year will also be a factor.

Hope this helps

bill55bill

Yes, it was because of Covid. When I did my re-interview, because the one from Dec 2019 had past its shelf life, I was also told there was no immediate vacancies, probably be round September, then a week later got a call offering me May 23rd as people had had to drop out or couldn't give enough notice.

So to answer your question, how long is a piece of string, there isnt really an answer. It depends on the needs of that particular guard depot and where you are in the queue. People retire and move elsewhere or within the company so recruitment runs, I believe, on estimated needs. But if theyre recruiting for it again now I would assume that there will be a need in the not too distant future. New trains coming to the Metro Guard depots and hours being reduced from 41 to 37 later this year will also be a factor.

Hope this helps
Thank you, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.