• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Report for Prosecution - Wrong Address and DOB

unrulyfork

Hi,

I have just received a report for prosecution for travelling from West Byfleet to Waterloo with a ticket from Vauxhall. I gave them my ID and they took down my details. However, after I have gotten home and inspected the report I noticed they have taken my address and DOB incorrectly. Is this a problem? I realise they will probably send me a letter, the address on the notice is for the house next to me, so I will speak to them to look out for the letter. There is an email on the note, should I reach out and tell them that they have recorded the wrong address so it can be sent to the correct one?

From reading on here I can see that it is best to respond to the letter promptly and truthfully, which is what I intend to do. I realise they will also check my trainline account, and I did this once also last month so worried about what will happen. If I manage to receive the letter, should I inform them in my reply that they have the wrong address for me? I don't want them to accuse me of providing a false address when they are the ones that recorded it!

Also would like advice on the likelihood of settlement out of court with SWR, given I am truthful and prompt in my reply.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

unrulyfork

No, it isn’t.
Sorry I realise this was phrased wrong, I meant would it be an issue regarding my own response if I say that they have the wrong address for me as I would like to correct the details but don't want to be accused of providing a false address

Sultan

I take it this is a different occurrence of a similar case for fare evasion between exactly the same stations: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/fare-evasion-7-days-to-respond-please-help.265891/

The advice given in that thread (started yesterday and on-going) is pretty much the same but other may feel it better to repeat in this thread so as to avoid confusion.

The general advice is to wait for the letter to arrive, asking whoever resides at the address you gave to hand it to you rather than 'return to sender'. Only then

WesternLancer

Established Member
Sorry I realise this was phrased wrong, I meant would it be an issue regarding my own response if I say that they have the wrong address for me as I would like to correct the details but don't want to be accused of providing a false address
I would contact them to ask them to correct your address. It's in your interest to get the letter ASAP and if your neighbour was away for a few days that won't help (as well as asking your neighbour to keep an eye out for it) - eg short communication saying such as

'I did provide supporting ID to the member of staff who spoke to me, but I note an error in the addresses recorded. My correct address is xxxx (not yyy, please note the house number has been recorded incorrectly' (ie in case they look at it in a hurry and don't realise what has been recorded wrongly.

As you have some paperwork presumably with a ref number etc on it I don't think in this case you should wait to hear from them via a neighbour passing it on.

I don't think there can be anything negative to come from telling them the correct address and getting them to correct their error, or hoping they will do so.

But do not mention anything else in your letter to them apart from correcting the address in my view, save that until you hear from them with what they want to ask you, and your subsequent reply.

Sultan

For the record, my post above was in the process of being composed when (presumably) the OP deleted the thread, and admin have restored it at the time it was last backed up, hence mine stopping mid-sentence.

The remainder of my advice is essentially what @WesternLancer says.

Good luck and hoping both your action (of deleting thread) and your chosen forum name isn't an indication of how you are going to deal with the situation. Honesty will be the only policy to the best resolution for you.

Haywain

Veteran Member
In which case, when you receive a letter you can simply respond pointing out that the address is wrong and ask them to correct it. I'm don't think anything rests on the date of birth being correct unless it is putting you on the wrong side of 18 for legal proceedings or use of a railcard.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I would email them and tell them you've noticed the address was taken down incorrectly. Much better that you are proactive, and don't have to rely on anyone else to forward it to you. For one thing, it could take months to appear, and do you really want to be waiting unsure if it hasn't been sent or that your neighbour hasn't forwarded it to you - I wouldn't!