• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Strike Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackot

Alton to Waterloo will get ‘3 trains in the AM and PM peaks’ according to SWR, with no clarification nor anymore detail than that during the overtime bans.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Alton to Waterloo will get ‘3 trains in the AM and PM peaks’ according to SWR, with no clarification nor anymore detail than that during the overtime bans.

Timetables are now in downstream systems.

deepeetw

Indeed, over 40 according to their map (though some may be served by other TOCs), both bizarre and appalling
A cynic would say that this is just an attempt to make the strike feel even more oppressive to travellers in order to induce further bad sentiment towards the unions….

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
A cynic would say that this is just an attempt to make the strike feel even more oppressive to travellers in order to induce further bad sentiment towards the unions….

No it’s a reaction to available staff to run a reliable train service taking into account there is industrial action ongoing on these days. Many depots require Rest day working for the Depot Shunters (they control trains on and off the depot) on a daily basis so stabling locations such as these cannot guarantee to be available for use.

infobleep

Veteran Member
So are SWR more affected than GWR and GTR or is it just that SWR is being more helpful, for whatever reason, in providing a summary of service provision?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
So are SWR more affected than GWR and GTR or is it just that SWR is being more helpful, for whatever reason, in providing a summary of service provision?

Every TOC has a different level of rest day working and different challenges in different areas of the network. It’s not very easy to compare TOCs and say this one is more affected than that one etc.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I looked up the trains from Guildford to Clapham Junction in the National Rail Enquiries app and it was slow at responding for Sunday. This is what they recommended the following:
Guildford to Farnborough North
Farnborough (Main) to Clapham Junction. This will take 1 hour 40 minutes.

There is also an alternative route of about 2 hours, for which a ticket price does not show
Guildford to Dorking Deepdene
Dorking (main) to Sutton
Sutton to Wimbledon
Wimbledon to Clapham Junction.

Worth adding the ticket price for the first route, maybe a combination of tickets.

Every TOC has a different level of rest day working and different challenges in different areas of the network. It’s not very easy to compare TOCs and say this one is more affected than that one etc.
That's fair enough but SWR have said roughly the number of trains running for each route and GWR and GTR haven't

I have tweeted GWR to ask when they will be providing such information as they have done for the affected days this week.

A rather poor service indeed. I was planning to get from Guildford to London on Sunday 18th. But they are running the strike timetable so there are no SWR trains at Guildford.

At the very least, they could have used the weekday pattern (i.e. many shuttle services) for Sunday.

All is not over though. GWR's North Downs Line is still running on Sunday, so I could get to London with GWR to Dorking, then GTR to London.

GWR and GTR both seem to be running a reasonable service on Sunday 18th.
Even trains to Gatwick Aiport are running on Sunday and most of them were not doing so yesterday

Last edited:

deepeetw

No it’s a reaction to available staff to run a reliable train service taking into account there is industrial action ongoing on these days. Many depots require Rest day working for the Depot Shunters (they control trains on and off the depot) on a daily basis so stabling locations such as these cannot guarantee to be available for use.

I totally get why there are issues with rest day working - what I take issue with is instead of offering at least a basic service to all stations (with more calls on the services that are running as necessary to achieve this), SWR just give up.

We’re talking about no service at some of these places for *weeks*….

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
I totally get why there are issues with rest day working - what I take issue with is instead of offering at least a basic service to all stations (with more calls on the services that are running as necessary to achieve this), SWR just give up.

We’re talking about no service at some of these places for *weeks*….
I concur, in some cases places with no services have no alternative modes available to those whom don't drive other than paying out of your own pocket for a taxi despite SWR claiming that they've "taken into consideration alternative travel options" when planning. They could've at least provided a morning and evening service in each direction per day given trains they run will be running through most if not all the closed stations.

I was personally expecting something more akin to the 2019 strikes with shorter hours but instead have found myself with a few days notice to re-arrange all travel plans for the next 2-3 weeks. It's a farce.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I concur, in some cases places with no services have no alternative modes available to those whom don't drive other than paying out of your own pocket for a taxi despite SWR claiming that they've "taken into consideration alternative travel options" when planning. They could've at least provided a morning and evening service in each direction per day given trains they run will be running through most if not all the closed stations.

I was personally expecting something more akin to the 2019 strikes with shorter hours but instead have found myself with a few days notice to re-arrange all travel plans for the next 2-3 weeks. It's a farce.
Do you have any examples ss I cant think of any myself?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Micheldever Station is the main one that comes to mind given that's where I now reside.

Especially annoying seeing as there will be 2 trains per hour passing, so what's the harm in calling one of the trains at Micheldever, the other at Shawford. Unless the timetable is that tight, the extra few minutes will mean the London train losses its path at Basingstoke etc?

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
I hand't realised Michdever had no bus service. I've only ever been through it by train.
We don't have a token bus service due to the bridge just south of the station. We do have an official bus stop which the people on the help point like directing me to as an alternative!

Rail replacements and the former distillery shuttle bus have to turn around at the station by reversing into the station approach then doubling back down Andover rd.
Especially annoying seeing as there will be 2 trains per hour passing, so what's the harm in calling one of the trains at Micheldever, the other at Shawford. Unless the timetable is that tight, the extra few minutes will mean the London train losses its path at Basingstoke etc?
I can't understand it either, it does look like it might be due to turnaround times at Southampton.

infobleep

Veteran Member
We don't have a token bus service due to the bridge just south of the station. We do have an official bus stop which the people on the help point like directing me to as an alternative!
I take it the official bus stop is only in exjstanxe when there are engineering works and no trains?

davews

Some observations from today. Walking through Martins Heron this afternoon the platform displays just said services were affected by strikes, didn't say there would be no trains (or tomorrow for that matter). The strike poster also was non specific, just that services would be disrupted and further disruption is expected on the work to rule days. The one announcement I heard similarly was in general terms. Ticket office closed, TVMs displaying a 'out of order' message. I remember for previous strikes there was a poster up showing what lines and stations would have trains and when. There seems very little publicity of the serious disruption right through Christmas, even the media only seems to talk about the actual strike days.

When I left a car drew in to the car park and seemed a bit surprised to find it empty, maybe unaware there was even a strike on.....

OK we on here know the full story as do those who look at the websites. Others maybe not. SWR seem not to be doing a very good job of spreading the word.

infobleep

Veteran Member
No the official rail replacement stop is actually on the station forecourt in the car park (only accessible by buses when the carpark is nearly empty).
So are you saying there is bus stop used by other buses? I thought there wasn't and that was the issue.

As I past over Farnham Road bridge today, I heard an automated announcement. It was slightly distant so I couldn't make it all out. I assume it is easier to let them run than stop them, given the station is closed today.

When I went past this morning the back entrance to Guildford station was closed. This was shortly before 10:30.

From a distance, the front entrance looked as if it was closed as there were notices on it but surely that is not the case as Great Western Railway services are running.

I checked the online departure board and they are still stopping at Guildford, save any cancellations did to staff shortages.

I am going that way again later so will be able to check more closely.

Last edited:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
So are you saying there is bus stop used by other buses? I thought there wasn't and that was the issue.

As I past over Farnham Road bridge today, I heard an automated announcement. It was slightly distant so I couldn't make it all out. I assume it is easier to let them run than stop them, given the station is closed today.

When I went past this morning the back entrance to Guildford station was closed. This was shortly before 10:30.

From a distance, the front entrance looked as if it was closed as there were notices on it but surely that is not the case as Great Western Railway services are running.

I checked the online departure board and they are still stopping at Guildford, save any cancellations did to staff shortages.

I am going that way again later so will be able to check more closely.

With the RMT industrial action there may be a shortage of staff at Guildford, if insufficient staff are on duty to meet the sufficient level required for safety reasons (station evacuation) there is a possibility the station may have been closed with GWR services not calling.

infobleep

Veteran Member
With the RMT industrial action there may be a shortage of staff at Guildford, if insufficient staff are on duty to meet the sufficient level required for safety reasons (station evacuation) there is a possibility the station may have been closed with GWR services not calling.
I checked online on Twotter for both SWR and GWR and no mention of it being closed so it must be open.

The notice is probably to saying no SWR services running.

Unusual for the back entrance to be close though.

boiledbeans2

I checked online on Twotter for both SWR and GWR and no mention of it being closed so it must be open.

The notice is probably to saying no SWR services running.

Unusual for the back entrance to be close though.
At Guildford, they have only opened one shutter at the side of the main entrance.

So from a distance, the main entrance seems closed.

The GWR services are all calling at platform 8 because all the other platforms are stabling trains.

So there is a conflict between the xx00 and xx01 trains at Guildford, heading in opposite directions.

infobleep

Veteran Member
At Guildford, they have only opened one shutter at the side of the main entrance.

So from a distance, the main entrance seems closed.

The GWR services are all calling at platform 8 because all the other platforms are stabling trains.

So there is a conflict between the xx00 and xx01 trains at Guildford, heading in opposite directions.
I went into the station and there were three members of staff standing by a sandwich board, which had on its notice saying there was no exit at the far side of the station.

There was 1 in the ticket office and + maiming the gate line. I don't know if anyone was working elsewhere in the station.

As @boiledbeans2 has said, one shutter was down, which seemed an odd thing to do. Even when only trains are running on the New Line Guildford route both shutters are up and the back entrance is open.

How many staff do they need there to keep the back entrance open? I would have thought 5 was enough to keep it safe.

Outside the back entrance was a sign saying the front entrance was open.

The footbridge is a permitted route for pedestrians to cross. They had to apply to a court for permission to reroute the walking route at night along the Farnham Road bridge. So I don't see why it should be closed. Do they have more than 5 people working at the station at night when it's open?

Platform 8 was fairly busy with people waiting.

The back entrance will be open tomorrow, which is good because back in around 2003, it used to annoy me when it was closed every Sunday for operational reasons and I wished to catch a train from say platform 8. Back then I didn't know it was a permitted route or I would have contacted my MP.

For reference, it isn't a public right of way but people have a right to pass over it so it might be linked to some planning permission. I've not investigated it further.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
So on a thread now closed

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/sunday-18th-december-swr-service.240934/post-5982605

it was stated that its the lack of station staff that has caused such a widespread level of line closures today as guards have Sundays in the working week?

You can see why DfT and politicians get animated about Sundays being in working week as we are paying for all teh rostered staff to sit around all day with no work because we don't have station staff with Sundays in the working week. Although why are so many lines being closed seems odd as many must be unstaffed so im surmising that its more than just station staff that has caused this scale of disruption.

Goldfish62

Established Member
One thing I simply do not understand is why from tomorrow there are 4tph to Windsor via Hounslow, double the normal service levels for the stations concerned, while Richmond and Twickenham, which are on the much busier section, get only 2tph. As a result Whitton, St Margarets, North Sheen and Mortlake have no service until 9th January. The sensible thing surely would have been to run 2tph to Windsor via Richmond (the normal route in any case) all stations. Journey time is the same as via Hounslow within a minute or two. Apart from restricted hours this would have meant that the whole Windsor lines network apart from the Chertsey line would have been covered and at close to normal off-peak frequencies.

This surely is an oversight and an unnecessary own goal.

swr444

One thing I simply do not understand is why from tomorrow there are 4tph to Windsor via Hounslow, double the normal service levels for the stations concerned, while Richmond and Twickenham, which are on the much busier section, get only 2tph. As a result Whitton, St Margarets, North Sheen and Mortlake have no service until 9th January. The sensible thing surely would have been to run 2tph to Windsor via Richmond (the normal route in any case) all stations. Journey time is the same as via Hounslow within a minute or two. Apart from restricted hours this would have meant that the whole Windsor lines network apart from the Chertsey line would have been covered and at close to normal off-peak frequencies.

Agreed here, cannot understand why they are running basically the strike timetable on the hounslow loop and woking stoppers (4tph) whilst places like richmond have only 2tph and Kingston 1tph. I do wonder if it's something to do with a lack of staff at Basingstoke ROC as they control most of the richmond and Kingston areas

deepeetw

I had exactly this thought about an hour ago, feels like somebody’s just copy/pasted the signaller strike timetable and declared that “it’ll do”.

Craig1122

This is what happens when the operating company loses no revenue. There's no incentive to do anything being beyond a bare minimum.

I suspect that the poster up thread is also correct that the government are not unhappy for disruption to be worse than it needs to be for political reasons.

TEW

Established Member
So on a thread now closed

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/sunday-18th-december-swr-service.240934/post-5982605

it was stated that its the lack of station staff that has caused such a widespread level of line closures today as guards have Sundays in the working week?

You can see why DfT and politicians get animated about Sundays being in working week as we are paying for all teh rostered staff to sit around all day with no work because we don't have station staff with Sundays in the working week. Although why are so many lines being closed seems odd as many must be unstaffed so im surmising that its more than just station staff that has caused this scale of disruption.
Sunday's are indeed in the working week for train crew on SWR, many of which would have been sitting around with little to do today. The limited timetable in operation for the period of the overtime ban does not seem to match up with train crew availability at all, presumably there is something else that is the limiting factor.

swr444

Sunday's are indeed in the working week for train crew on SWR, many of which would have been sitting around with little to do today. The limited timetable in operation for the period of the overtime ban does not seem to match up with train crew availability at all, presumably there is something else that is the limiting factor.
Apparently it’s a lot to do with shunters at depots not being available? I may be wrong though

Status
Not open for further replies.