• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR to withdraw public access to Guildford Station Footbridge

zwk500

Veteran Member
"Hostile Vehicle Mitigation barriers"

They mean bollards??? What kind of language is that?? Feels biased imo.
Tbf not all 'hostile vehicle mitigation barriers' are bollards but could be more jersey barrier style, and not all bollards will stop a vehicle ramming attack (such as the flexible type used to reduce severity of crashes). And vehicle ramming attacks are a definite threat, even if it's unlikely in Guildford specifically.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oldgaloot

I've just seen an interview with a survivor of the 2017 Westminster Bridge attack on Sky. Thinking about Guildford, pedestrians would be at risk crossing the railway over the Farnham Road bridge or the River Wey over the Bridge Street bridge. In both cases the pavements are narrow and there's no place to go save onto the tracks or into the river.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I've just seen an interview with a survivor of the 2017 Westminster Bridge attack on Sky. Thinking about Guildford, pedestrians would be at risk crossing the railway over the Farnham Road bridge or the River Wey over the Bridge Street bridge. In both cases the pavements are narrow and there's no place to go save onto the tracks or into the river.

Are you suggesting that the extraordinarily remote probability of a similar terrorist attack on those bridges woudl be a valid reason to have the station footbridge open to all?

Having walked across both the Farnham Road and Bridge St bridges hundreds of times, and not once even entertaiend the idea of goign via the station, I’m a little baffled about the fuss!

Meerkat

Established Member
Its pretty stupid that the new "great wall of Guildford" station redevelopment doesnt have a gap for an unpaid footbridge, as its clearly in the council's eye to have people avoid walking across Bridge St bridge (its dangerous) and go via their expensive new footbridge over the river.

Recessio

Its pretty stupid that the new "great wall of Guildford" station redevelopment doesnt have a gap for an unpaid footbridge, as its clearly in the council's eye to have people avoid walking across Bridge St bridge (its dangerous) and go via their expensive new footbridge over the river.
Are there plans to incorporate one in the station rebuild itself? (rather than the adjacent "great wall" housing blocks)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are there plans to incorporate one in the station rebuild itself? (rather than the adjacent "great wall" housing blocks)
Will there even be a station, ie platforms, rebuild? With no timetable expansion in the immediate future is it still needed?

Meerkat

Established Member
The station rebuild is a very limited bit of the great wall, and AIUI there is no work to platforms/footbridge/subway (which is a shame as although I don't know about platform capacity the footbridge/subway get very crowded because Guildford is such a two way commuter station plus interchange).

I was thinking they should have left a hole in the Great Wall for an unpaid footbridge to go through, roughly in line with the new river footbridge.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The bollards are now complete and the road closuee barriers and traffic lights are gone.

I am not sure if they finished today or yesterday but the traffic lighTs were there on Tuesday evening.

So will the station footbridge be reopening early or will they stick to the timetable of reopening next week?

Are you suggesting that the extraordinarily remote probability of a similar terrorist attack on those bridges woudl be a valid reason to have the station footbridge open to all?

Having walked across both the Farnham Road and Bridge St bridges hundreds of times, and not once even entertaiend the idea of goign via the station, I’m a little baffled about the fuss!
It's perhaps more that if it is a remote possibility on Farnham Road bridge, is it also a remote possibility at the Guildford Park Road entrance to the station?

That is how I read the comment.

The station rebuild is a very limited bit of the great wall, and AIUI there is no work to platforms/footbridge/subway (which is a shame as although I don't know about platform capacity the footbridge/subway get very crowded because Guildford is such a two way commuter station plus interchange).

I was thinking they should have left a hole in the Great Wall for an unpaid footbridge to go through, roughly in line with the new river footbridge.
I am surprised the redevelopment work doesn't include a lift.

I know Guildford is very hilly but some people will just be chaning trains at Guildford and it isn't step free.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
I am surprised the redevelopment work doesn't include a lift.

I know Guildford is very hilly but some people will just be chaning trains at Guildford and it isn't step free.
There is step-free access to all platforms via the subway, although of course only to & from the main entrance, not the back route.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There is step-free access to all platforms via the subway, although of course only to & from the main entrance, not the back route.
I thought ramps didn't count as step free access as if you are in a wheelchair it would be hard to get up the ramp by yourself.

I was wrong. Steep ramps still count as step free access. The notes do state it is via steep ramps.

Oldgaloot

After all the excitement SWR seem to have disappeared into radio silence. What happened when the bridge was closed to pedestrians?

Recessio

I thought ramps didn't count as step free access as if you are in a wheelchair it would be hard to get up the ramp by yourself.

I was wrong. Steep ramps still count as step free access. The notes do state it is via steep ramps.

The rules and regulations on ramps are a bit rubbish. I remember Geoff Marshall touring a newly step-free station with a friend of his who used a wheelchair - they couldn't get the gate open and get up the ramp by themselves, ultimately requiring assistance. But the ramp was built "within the rules".

infobleep

Veteran Member
After all the excitement SWR seem to have disappeared into radio silence. What happened when the bridge was closed to pedestrians?
Perhaps they are still reviewing the outcomes. Whilst I appreciate they are a private company, it is the season of purdah so I don't know if they would want to delay anything until after the local elections.

Maybe that is even why the trail was when it was and why it's not happening at the moment. Your comment just made me think of it as a possibility.

Oldgaloot

I hadn't thought of purdah but there's only the Police and Crime Commissioner election next month. Generally speaking SWR don't give me the impression of being too clued up on political matters.

As to reviewing the outcomes, how difficult can it be to analyse some figures?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I note the footbridge is still closed. I assume they can't reopen it as staff shift patterns all have been agreed in advance and they can't change them.

Could they not just reppen it at the times staff don't usually man the back entrance? I'm not being entirely serious with that suggestion.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I hadn't thought of purdah but there's only the Police and Crime Commissioner election next month. Generally speaking SWR don't give me the impression of being too clued up on political matters.
There's quite widespread council elections across the country as well, so anything that could be seen as giving any political advantage anywhere in the country will be under purdah.

SWR, being under the DfT's thumb, won't be able to announce anything major as a result as it could be seen as the government trying to gain an advantage.

Mad, I know, but it's the rules...

Oldgaloot

The footbridge is open again. Weirdly there are only four barriers in place so there remains a huge gap through which anyone with malice in mind could drive a vehicle. You can see where the pavement has been excavated for additional barriers but this has been reinstated and neatly asphalted over.

I'd attach a photgraph but my phone is just that so I can't!

infobleep

Veteran Member
20240414_124241.jpg20240414_124251.jpg

Photos from Sunday. I was hoping their might have been an online BBC News report on the reopening.

They could have titled it, Guildford station footbridge opens on time after works finished 4 days early.

I'm not sure if the work finished on Wednesday or Thursday. If Thursday then it is 4 days early.

I noticed the Network Rail page said the footbridge would be closed whilst the works were on going but nothing about the bridge being closed if the works finish early. All they needed to say was if the works finish early, the bridge will have to remain closed due to staff shifts or words to that effect.

Station information​

From Tuesday 2 to Sunday 14 April 2024 the station entrance by Guildford Park Road will be closed while we install bollards to improve safety at Guildford station. Customers wishing to access the station during the works will need to use the main entrance by Walnut Tree Close.

Thank you for your patience while we complete this essential work.

Last edited:

Oldgaloot

Great pic. If clicked on it shows clearly that the bollards protect the entrance from bad actors (as we say these days) coming from the centre of town but not from the direction of Onslow Village and the A3.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Great pic. If clicked on it shows clearly that the bollards protect the entrance from bad actors (as we say these days) coming from the centre of town but not from the direction of Onslow Village and the A3.
Playing devil's advocate, perhaps they ran out of money. Of course they could have used the additional days the footbridge was closed, and no work was being done, to add an extra bollard, if there was a good reason for it to be there.

Meerkat

Established Member
I was pondering these, and the new ones at Woking station, and wondering about the need, as there are rarely that many people stood around in the protected area.
However the bollards would stop you ploughing any significant distance along the pavement where there might be a fair number of people. Reduces the ‘value’ of an attack, and ensures you won’t drive off and keep doing it further along - ie it makes it not worth it.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was pondering these, and the new ones at Woking station, and wondering about the need, as there are rarely that many people stood around in the protected area.
However the bollards would stop you ploughing any significant distance along the pavement where there might be a fair number of people. Reduces the ‘value’ of an attack, and ensures you won’t drive off and keep doing it further along - ie it makes it not worth it.
How long was the entrance closed at Woking whilst they did the work?

Here is another photo from the other day
20240416_201730.jpg

Surreyman

Just walked through, I would say the the 'gap' is wide enough for a 7.5 tonne truck! - Can only guess that the 'gap' is to allow the removal/replacement of ticket machines?

infobleep

Veteran Member
They put up metal sheet hoardings leaving narrow corridors for passengers to go through, the route changing as the work was done.
I take it there was more space for them to do this than at Guildford where they had the close the entrance for 2 weeks?