• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

afc

Does that imply they are only allocating on a month by month basis because of DI shortage?

As things stand now, what is the average wait for course placement?

Can having your name down for more than one depot speed things up a bit?

Nothing implied, just that there has been one course per month this year, I have only heard about Septembers course starting so far and nothing beyond. In terms of waiting, 2 on my course were called on the Friday to start on the Monday. I had about 3 weeks notice. I also know of others who have been sat waiting since February and have still not been offered a start despite many people applying and starting after them. As said by someone else, you have to commit to your chosen depot for at least 4 years so tread carefully with that one. The courses are mixed, 5 different depots on my course so I don't think there is any particular method to the recruiting. All I would say is just be patient, I thought about giving up loads of times but am 100% glad I didn't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Just completed application for Trainee Driver, information accepted and SJE online test completed. There is a note stating that “if successful you will shortly receive an email inviting you to a further online test” - presumably the VSE

Can anyone define “shortly”? The initial response and invitation was almost instantaneous. Now I’ve waited over 3 hours and so don’t know whether the further invitation is computer generated or requires input from SWR HR.

How long have others had to wait between both parts of the online testing?

Thanks

I can't remember exactly but it was less than a day but maybe have just been a few hours. I wasn't able to check my email for a while after the first test and they sent a reminder to complete the 2nd

MDCW

Has anyone who has passed their first day of assessments this summer been called in for an interview yet? Just trying to work out what time scales we're working to at the moment, though I have heard there are no vacancies for Basingstoke or Woking right now. Those who has passed the first assessment day will have to wait for vacancies to come up.

Last edited:
Has anyone who has passed their first day of assessments been called in for an interview yet? Just trynig to work out what time scales we're working to at the moment, though I have heard there are no vacancies for Basingstoke or Woking right now. Those who has passed the first assessment day will have to wait for vacancies to come up.

I've been waiting since the end of Feb for an interview for the Basingstoke depot - although I note your comment about that! I'm also down for Guildford after phoning them a few weeks back.

WA_Driver

If you contact the recruitment number and ask your application to be allocated to another depot your application may be progressed quicker than say Waterloo.

It's likely they will move your application to that specific depot. Where you may have to progress through the entire process before moving to one you prefer ... recruitment > induction > training and rules > pass out > joining the roster link > passing probation ( then maybe at this point you could ask to move to your preferred depot ) but I guess this may just be at management's discretion.
I’d recommend applying for a Depot you would be comfortable getting too and from for at least 4 years Minimum as you cannot move untill you’ve done 3 years as a productive driver.

I agree with HeelBurton on this one. Stick with the Depot you have applied for once. It may get your job quicker but driver training is intense and last thing you want to do is add extra potential travelling time to your day especially with early 3am starts and 1am finishes. And you will have to work around your DI and their shifts. DI’s won’t work around you, well not in the very beginning but once your preparing for your driver final then they work around you to make sure you are ready.

It worth the wait....

Picklebutton

Nothing implied, just that there has been one course per month this year, I have only heard about Septembers course starting so far and nothing beyond. In terms of waiting, 2 on my course were called on the Friday to start on the Monday. I had about 3 weeks notice. I also know of others who have been sat waiting since February and have still not been offered a start despite many people applying and starting after them. As said by someone else, you have to commit to your chosen depot for at least 4 years so tread carefully with that one. The courses are mixed, 5 different depots on my course so I don't think there is any particular method to the recruiting. All I would say is just be patient, I thought about giving up loads of times but am 100% glad I didn't.
Farnham and Basingstoke are equidistant from where I live, so there is neither an advantage or disadvantage in terms of travelling time. Whichever they wanted to allocate me to, I'm happy to stick with!
Apparently there are no longer any vacancies at either depot, so it will now be a waiting game. I realise that with the shortage of DIs the trainee loading for them is considerable and there's obviously a need to get those individuals further through the system before they can take on any more. Further trainee driver recruitment is looking increasingly likely that it won't be until sometime next year.
I won't give up!!

Farnham and Basingstoke are equidistant from where I live, so there is neither an advantage or disadvantage in terms of travelling time. Whichever they wanted to allocate me to, I'm happy to stick with!
Apparently there are no longer any vacancies at either depot, so it will now be a waiting game. I realise that with the shortage of DIs the trainee loading for them is considerable and there's obviously a need to get those individuals further through the system before they can take on any more. Further trainee driver recruitment is looking increasingly likely that it won't be until sometime next year.
I won't give up!!

Can I ask where you got the information about the vacancies - or rather the lack of them?

Picklebutton

Can I ask where you got the information about the vacancies - or rather the lack of them?
Direct from HR when I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago. All trainee course allocations have been filled for the time being. Nothing available for Farnham, or Basingstoke now until (probably) next year. They were apparently expecting an update from higher management on that sometime this month, but if anyone hears/receives a different story from HR, I’d be interested to know.

Direct from HR when I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago. All trainee course allocations have been filled for the time being. Nothing available for Farnham, or Basingstoke now until (probably) next year. They were apparently expecting an update from higher management on that sometime this month, but if anyone hears/receives a different story from HR, I’d be interested to know.

Thanks for that... you hear a lot of 'I've heard that....' on this forum!

It is however a bit frustrating for those of us waiting to move on in our applications particularly when we've just had to reapply for a job that may not exist at the moment. Is the lack of courses this year more down to the lack of instructors or that they simply don't need drivers?

Picklebutton

Thanks for that... you hear a lot of 'I've heard that....' on this forum!

It is however a bit frustrating for those of us waiting to move on in our applications particularly when we've just had to reapply for a job that may not exist at the moment. Is the lack of courses this year more down to the lack of instructors or that they simply don't need drivers?
To be honest, they didn’t give a reason. I’d also just reapplied for Farnham, having originally been in line for Basingstoke. I reapplied being given the impression there were still Farnham vacancies available, only to then be told there aren’t any more vacancies at all at this time. I was told they were expecting an update from higher management on when/if trainee recruiting will continue next year.

I can only think the reason they keep a backlog of applicants and those awaiting courses, is so that they can fill posts as they arise - some perhaps through natural attrition even of trainees? But that’s just my thinking, not any official line.

However, I know they have been struggling with a shortage of DIs, as per info from a friend who’s now about six months into their driver training. They did wonder why so many trainees had been recruited in such a short space of time, and they said there have been some trainees quit already because the training period could be protracted as a result of the DI shortage. I guess for some single income households, if you’ve taken a significant pay cut already the last thing you’d need to hear is you’re going to be on trainee pay for an additional six months.

Again, not official, but I believe the shortage of DIs has meant the new timetable has been delayed from the end of this year until 2020, so they won’t need all the new drivers in one hit. Perhaps someone else can verify this?

Agree that it is incredibly frustrating that there’s no firm updates being made available.

Last edited:

BallastMonkey

Any info on the amount of vacancies they have for Wimbledon, I am aware that they are interviewing for this depot and another I believe.

To be honest, they didn’t give a reason. I’d also just reapplied for Farnham, having originally been in line for Basingstoke. I reapplied being given the impression there were still Farnham vacancies available, only to then be told there aren’t any more vacancies at all at this time. I was told they were expecting an update from higher management on when/if trainee recruiting will continue next year.

I can only think the reason they keep a backlog of applicants and those awaiting courses, is so that they can fill posts as they arise - some perhaps through natural attrition even of trainees? But that’s just my thinking, not any official line.

However, I know they have been struggling with a shortage of DIs, as per info from a friend who’s now about six months into their driver training. They did wonder why so many trainees had been recruited in such a short space of time, and they said there have been some trainees quit already because the training period could be protracted as a result of the DI shortage. I guess for some single income households, if you’ve taken a significant pay cut already the last thing you’d need to hear is you’re going to be on trainee pay for an additional six months.

Again, not official, but I believe the shortage of DIs has meant the new timetable has been delayed from the end of this year until 2020, so they won’t need all the new drivers in one hit. Perhaps someone else can verify this?

Agree that it is incredibly frustrating that there’s no firm updates being made available.

2020 seems a long way off... I was put on the list for Guildford too but I won't be holding my breath!

WA_Driver

The shortages of DIs hasn’t had anything to do with the new timetable change being delayed.

The new timetable change was delayed due the fiasco saw at Thameslink & Northern Rail. Government & First agreed that they couldn’t afford to have further problems so they wanted a cooling off period to concentrate on running the trains on the current timetable on time before making changes. So the number drivers of required for new timetable change is now not needed.

However if SWR doesn’t recruit more DIs it would likely mean the new timetable change could be delayed further still. But also neither government or first have said if they keeping to original plans or if they starting from scratch and have a whole new timetable plan

HeelBurton

The shortages of DIs hasn’t had anything to do with the new timetable change being delayed.

The new timetable change was delayed due the fiasco saw at Thameslink & Northern Rail. Government & First agreed that they couldn’t afford to have further problems so they wanted a cooling off period to concentrate on running the trains on the current timetable on time before making changes. So the number drivers of required for new timetable change is now not needed.

However if SWR doesn’t recruit more DIs it would likely mean the new timetable change could be delayed further still. But also neither government or first have said if they keeping to original plans or if they starting from scratch and have a whole new timetable plan

DI interviews taking place this month

dctraindriver

DI interviews taking place this month
Wonder how many have shown an interest. A lot of responsibility on the shoulders of a DI and not a role that should be taken on without some serious thought.

Let’s hope they get the DI numbers up quickly....

theironroad

Established Member

A shortage of DIs won't delay the timetable implementation in any form. If the stock was available tomorrow and the company offered existing drivers 100% guaranteed free day working, they would have enough drivers tomorrow as well.

Well I've just received an email saying that I'd passed all the tests for the Basingstoke positions (which I knew already) and that they would be contacting me to arrange an interview (DMI I expect). Could there be some movement at last?!

Bridger

Well I've just received an email saying that I'd passed all the tests for the Basingstoke positions (which I knew already) and that they would be contacting me to arrange an interview (DMI I expect). Could there be some movement at last?!

I also received this today... (also for Basingstoke)

Picklebutton

That’s very odd, they’re telling me at the moment that there aren’t any Basingstoke vacancies. All I’m waiting for is a course allocation. Seems like it’s names out of a hat.

That’s very odd, they’re telling me at the moment that there aren’t any Basingstoke vacancies. All I’m waiting for is a course allocation. Seems like it’s names out of a hat.

I'm not sure if I would draw any conclusions from my post as I have been waiting for a DMI since March and this email simply confirms what I already knew. I could be waiting another few months before I have the interview!

Picklebutton

I'm not sure if I would draw any conclusions from my post as I have been waiting for a DMI since March and this email simply confirms what I already knew. I could be waiting another few months before I have the interview!
Six months is a long wait, but if it’s any consolation I waited six years between passing the initial application stage and being invited to take the tests. When I recently spoke to a friend who started his training course in March (and already employed by SWR), he said there was no rhyme or reason as to how they recruit as there had definitely been trainee vacancies filled within those six years. Seems like I need to give HR another call.

theironroad

Established Member
Vacancies at a depot will be filled by a combination of four categories, and I don't think there is any absolute priority given to any one group
1) internal qualified drivers doing a depot move which are generally at the 3 and 15 year points or hardship if a strong case.
2) internal staff to fill trainee slots, maybe guards, station staff or any other internal grade
3) qualified drivers from other pass and freight companies
4) 'off the street' candidates with no prior (or lapsed) railway knowledge.

Obviously a company desperately short will try to get qualifieds in, as the training is much shorter but there may not be many applicants, otherwise it often seems that vacancies are filled by management choice

Picklebutton

Vacancies at a depot will be filled by a combination of four categories, and I don't think there is any absolute priority given to any one group
1) internal qualified drivers doing a depot move which are generally at the 3 and 15 year points or hardship if a strong case.
2) internal staff to fill trainee slots, maybe guards, station staff or any other internal grade
3) qualified drivers from other pass and freight companies
4) 'off the street' candidates with no prior (or lapsed) railway knowledge.

Obviously a company desperately short will try to get qualifieds in, as the training is much shorter but there may not be many applicants, otherwise it often seems that vacancies are filled by management choice
Many thanks for the enlightenment on that. In your opinion, and based on what you have stated, do you think applying for another safety critical/ops role and the opportunity of ‘getting a foot in the door’ elsewhere while waiting for trainee driver vacancies, would be an advantage or disadvantage?

theironroad

Established Member
Many thanks for the enlightenment on that. In your opinion, and based on what you have stated, do you think applying for another safety critical/ops role and the opportunity of ‘getting a foot in the door’ elsewhere while waiting for trainee driver vacancies, would be an advantage or disadvantage?

Tbh, I'm not sure how much difference it makes but where it is useful is if an applicant doesn't have much experience to demonstrate safety, emergency situations etc and also if it is a shift work role, such as a guard then it can help to show that you can do the 0400 starts and late finishes etc.

Picklebutton

Tbh, I'm not sure how much difference it makes but where it is useful is if an applicant doesn't have much experience to demonstrate safety, emergency situations etc and also if it is a shift work role, such as a guard then it can help to show that you can do the 0400 starts and late finishes etc.
Ahh, ok. Fortunately I have a raft of safety critical/emergency experience both from work and hobbies. I’ve also done a number of years working shifts. Probably all adds up to why as someone outside of the railway, I got through.

Status
Not open for further replies.