• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markdev

If you do a quick search for DMI questions on here then you will get lots of answers - but they are generally in the form of 'give me an example of a time when you...'

Also do some research on the company. The areas they serve, their depots and as its a new franchise, their plans for the future. All this will be on their website and also Wikipedia
Excellent thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FM511

Any help appreciated I have been given a date for my DMI today I have never done one up to yet, what do I need to revise on please and what examples of questions will be asked I should imagine there are lots of different questions but just an idea would be helpful thank you in advance

Markdev, just out of interest are you an internal or external applicant?

WA_Driver

Any help appreciated I have been given a date for my DMI today I have never done one up to yet, what do I need to revise on please and what examples of questions will be asked I should imagine there are lots of different questions but just an idea would be helpful thank you in advance

It will be mostly be the questions you’ve been asked already....for example

Talk abou time you’ve dealt with an emergency....

Talk about a time you’ve had to concentrate for long periods of time....

What does train driving involve and what is expected of you...

Why do you want to be a train driver...

What would you do if you see something or see someone doing anything they shouldn’t or is unsafe...

Research the company (use SWR website everything is on there) try not Wikipedia

Markdev

It will be mostly be the questions you’ve been asked already....for example

Talk abou time you’ve dealt with an emergency....

Talk about a time you’ve had to concentrate for long periods of time....

What does train driving involve and what is expected of you...

Why do you want to be a train driver...

What would you do if you see something or see someone doing anything they shouldn’t or is unsafe...

Research the company (use SWR website everything is on there) try not Wikipedia
Thank you I’ll do as much as possible

GMT

The thread "Becoming a train driver" contains good feedback. Read post #1323.

dctraindriver

Well done Mark, you’re getting there. Good advice from the others. Take heed and maybe see you out and about soonish.......

snorky

Hi all,

Just FYI I applied for Staines and passed the assessment in June. I received the recent email asking me to re-apply via the link to the First website. After doing that I also received the email asking me to do the online tests immediately afterwards. A couple of days later there was another email asking me to do the 2nd lot of online tests. I called SWR and had it confirmed that I do need to repeat the online tests as it forms part of the application.

WA_Driver

Hi all,

Just FYI I applied for Staines and passed the assessment in June. I received the recent email asking me to re-apply via the link to the First website. After doing that I also received the email asking me to do the online tests immediately afterwards. A couple of days later there was another email asking me to do the 2nd lot of online tests. I called SWR and had it confirmed that I do need to repeat the online tests as it forms part of the application.

Wouldn’t be surprised if you suddenly “fail to meet the requirements” and this is a tactic to reduce the number of drivers waiting for driver vacancies.

As discussed in previous posts there is a extreme shortage of Driving Instructors within SWR and with the new timetable not being introduced in May meaning that the number of drivers that were required is now not needed.

I hope I am very wrong because that is morally wrong and would be extremely frustrated if I was in the shoes of those trying to become a driver....but nothing surprises me in this World now

Wouldn’t be surprised if you suddenly “fail to meet the requirements” and this is a tactic to reduce the number of drivers waiting for driver vacancies.

As discussed in previous posts there is a extreme shortage of Driving Instructors within SWR and with the new timetable not being introduced in May meaning that the number of drivers that were required is now not needed.

I hope I am very wrong because that is morally wrong and would be extremely frustrated if I was in the shoes of those trying to become a driver....but nothing surprises me in this World now

Well I've redone mine too and I'm half expecting to get binned after waiting since February, but we shall see

FM511

Are these pre-assessments standardised across the rail industry? For example is it a Visual Search Exercise for SWR?

I did my assessments in back in June. However if I now fail this pre-assessment will it affect my chances with another TOC?

Dewdrops

The two new online assessments of SWR is it SJT and VSE. Something similar to crossrail.

Dewdrops

Hi All, I have done SWR online assessments couple of days ago, could someone, please tell how long it takes to get feedback, pass or fail.

Stigy

Established Member
Are these pre-assessments standardised across the rail industry? For example is it a Visual Search Exercise for SWR?

I did my assessments in back in June. However if I now fail this pre-assessment will it affect my chances with another TOC?
You can take the online tests as many times as you like until you pass, it doesn’t count toward one of your two ‘lives’ as the assessment centre results do.

Also, I believe the VSE is only for enhanced testing (I thought it was all the same until recently doing this for trainee position with Freightliner and found there was standard assessments and enhanced assessments). I’ve done tests with SWR previously and they don’t do a VSE, just a small SJT, so I assume it’s not enhanced? Also with enhanced testing, at the assessment Centre candidates have to sit an addition test (DFFT - Driver Fault Finding Test).

GMT

I did the online test a couple of weeks back, the day after I received the email from SWR; SJT and alphanumerical plus filling in a new application. However, a couple of years ago I passed the psychometric test (assessment), but not the MMI, with Thameslink, which is enhanced (I did the DFFT). I suppose if they don't reject my application I should just sit the two interviews, am I right?

I did the online test a couple of weeks back, the day after I received the email from SWR; SJT and alphanumerical plus filling in a new application. However, a couple of years ago I passed the psychometric test (assessment), but not the MMI, with Thameslink, which is enhanced (I did the DFFT). I suppose if they don't reject my application I should just sit the two interviews, am I right?

In theory yes

Picklebutton

And the fact that now the new timetable that was due to be put into place was withdrawn meaning that SWR no longer need the extra drivers & also the extreme shortage of DI across the network....
I heard only last week from a SWR driver that they are still starting two driver courses a month (24 trainees). The driver wasn’t able to say which depots, but I believe SWR are doing it as a round robin in terms of the depots they allocate the courses to because of the DI shortage. Those who are through the entire process and effectively awaiting their job offer and course start date, are being told to regularly check emails and to login to the FirstGroup ‘My Application’ page. Contact and updates are now email driven through the website, so people should be checking spam boxes too, just in case!

387star

On Moderation

Happens across the board

afc

I heard only last week from a SWR driver that they are still starting two driver courses a month (24 trainees). The driver wasn’t able to say which depots, but I believe SWR are doing it as a round robin in terms of the depots they allocate the courses to because of the DI shortage. Those who are through the entire process and effectively awaiting their job offer and course start date, are being told to regularly check emails and to login to the FirstGroup ‘My Application’ page. Contact and updates are now email driven through the website, so people should be checking spam boxes too, just in case!

That's a slight exaggeration I'm afraid. This year there has been one course a month with approx 10/12 trainees on each. So far only courses up to September are confirmed...........

Picklebutton

That's a slight exaggeration I'm afraid. This year there has been one course a month with approx 10/12 trainees on each. So far only courses up to September are confirmed...........
Does that imply they are only allocating on a month by month basis because of DI shortage?

As things stand now, what is the average wait for course placement?

Can having your name down for more than one depot speed things up a bit?

eastldn

Does that imply they are only allocating on a month by month basis because of DI shortage?

As things stand now, what is the average wait for course placement?

Can having your name down for more than one depot speed things up a bit?

If you contact the recruitment number and ask your application to be allocated to another depot your application may be progressed quicker than say Waterloo.

It's likely they will move your application to that specific depot. Where you may have to progress through the entire process before moving to one you prefer ... recruitment > induction > training and rules > pass out > joining the roster link > passing probation ( then maybe at this point you could ask to move to your preferred depot ) but I guess this may just be at management's discretion.

HeelBurton

If you contact the recruitment number and ask your application to be allocated to another depot your application may be progressed quicker than say Waterloo.

It's likely they will move your application to that specific depot. Where you may have to progress through the entire process before moving to one you prefer ... recruitment > induction > training and rules > pass out > joining the roster link > passing probation ( then maybe at this point you could ask to move to your preferred depot ) but I guess this may just be at management's discretion.

I’d recommend applying for a Depot you would be comfortable getting too and from for at least 4 years Minimum as you cannot move untill you’ve done 3 years as a productive driver.

Hamworthy Jct

Just completed application for Trainee Driver, information accepted and SJE online test completed. There is a note stating that “if successful you will shortly receive an email inviting you to a further online test” - presumably the VSE

Can anyone define “shortly”? The initial response and invitation was almost instantaneous. Now I’ve waited over 3 hours and so don’t know whether the further invitation is computer generated or requires input from SWR HR.

How long have others had to wait between both parts of the online testing?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.