• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sh*n

Hi,
I applied for both Waterloo and Woking, I’m not sure if I will get to choose but I was just wondering which one is better in terms of routes, shifts etc? I guess it’s mainly odd hours where I will have to drive in. Is there free parking for staffs? Does anyone know if there’s any discounts on congestion charge?
Any advice will be highly appreciated,
Many thanks.

theironroad

Established Member
No discount on congestion charge.
No (or Extremely limited parking at wat) some at Clapham yard I believe. Hopefully someone can confirm.
Waterloo get slightly higher regional allowance (a grand a bit more I think)

Sh*n

Hi,
Has anyone attended MMI recently? Is the interview only based on the six questions that you have to write down and expand during the interview or you get asked more questions about the company or routes?

Hi,
I applied for both Waterloo and Woking, I’m not sure if I will get to choose but I was just wondering which one is better in terms of routes, shifts etc? I guess it’s mainly odd hours where I will have to drive in. Is there free parking for staffs? Does anyone know if there’s any discounts on congestion charge?
Many thanks.
First of all good luck. Waterloo has higher work content, bare brakes, terribile accommodation. No discount on on congestion charge but you can park at Clapham depot. Pay is the same, +2k for London allowance for London depots. Waterloo has very early and very late finishing times, but easy routes for starter link drivers. Woking has better turns but sign many more routes to start with.

Yes, mmi is the one where you have to write 6 answers, dmi is the one with the managers where you get asked about company values routes depots traditions, etc..

Sh*n

No discount on congestion charge.
No (or Extremely limited parking at wat) some at Clapham yard I believe. Hopefully someone can confirm.
Waterloo get slightly higher regional allowance (a grand a bit more I think)
Many thanks for your reply. Much appreciated

Sh*n

First of all good luck. Waterloo has higher work content, bare brakes, terribile accommodation. No discount on on congestion charge but you can park at Clapham depot. Pay is the same, +2k for London allowance for London depots. Waterloo has very early and very late finishing times, but easy routes for starter link drivers. Woking has better turns but sign many more routes to start with.

Yes, mmi is the one where you have to write 6 answers, dmi is the one with the managers where you get asked about company values routes depots traditions, etc..

Thank you so much.
This is very helpful.

WA_Driver

Hi,
Many thanks.

Well that depends on which depot is closer to you and what your transport links are like for you to get in for the early turn and home from the late turns.

I can only give info about Waterloo as I am based there.

Earliest start is 0430
Latest Finish is 0030

There are good jobs and there are bad jobs like it at all depots across the network. But Waterloo do the most work as it is terminal station.

Roster is based an average of 35hrs. 6 Links at Waterloo.

Parking (although few spaces) at Waterloo is First come first serve basis (Although their is a local agreement around parking at Waterloo but wouldn’t need to worry until or productive and based at Waterloo). There is parking at Clapham but a lot less space as it is shared with network rail and Clapham yard staff. It is free but you must apply for a permit, this is done locally at depots.

No discounts on congestion charge or ULEZ. Have 24hrs tube services at weekends but the latest tube on weekdays and depending on what line is about 0030-0050. Still various night/24hr bus services as well

Sh*n

Well that depends on which depot is closer to you and what your transport links are like for you to get in for the early turn and home from the late turns.

I can only give info about Waterloo as I am based there.

Earliest start is 0430
Latest Finish is 0030

There are good jobs and there are bad jobs like it at all depots across the network. But Waterloo do the most work as it is terminal station.

Roster is based an average of 35hrs. 6 Links at Waterloo.

Parking (although few spaces) at Waterloo is First come first serve basis (Although their is a local agreement around parking at Waterloo but wouldn’t need to worry until or productive and based at Waterloo). There is parking at Clapham but a lot less space as it is shared with network rail and Clapham yard staff. It is free but you must apply for a permit, this is done locally at depots.

No discounts on congestion charge or ULEZ. Have 24hrs tube services at weekends but the latest tube on weekdays and depending on what line is about 0030-0050. Still various night/24hr bus services as well

Thank you,
Waterloo is closer but both same travelling time.
I don’t mind driving in or the hours.
It’s a big career change I just don’t wanna mess up and lose everything.
Are the management and staffs as friendly and supportive at Waterloo?

WA_Driver

Thank you,
Waterloo is closer but both same travelling time.
I don’t mind driving in or the hours.
It’s a big career change I just don’t wanna mess up and lose everything.
Are the management and staffs as friendly and supportive at Waterloo?

I did drive only on the extremely early turns but the way traffic is around town I was finding that the train I could get home would past me and I would be still sitting in traffic.

Erm.....I will be honest with you the management at Waterloo is a revolving door. You won’t know your manager for long or at all before they move on. Staff are friendly enough, get the odd one or two. But it like that everywhere.

Sh*n

I did drive only on the extremely early turns but the way traffic is around town I was finding that the train I could get home would past me and I would be still sitting in traffic.

Erm.....I will be honest with you the management at Waterloo is a revolving door. You won’t know your manager for long or at all before they move on. Staff are friendly enough, get the odd one or two. But it like that everywhere.
Thanks for the helpful information.
Much appreciated.

FM511

Hi all,

I've just been invited for an interview for Woking, however I've recently passed all the assessments and interviews for another TOC and I am currently loitering in their talent pool.

I'm in two minds about this as I am unsure if I should attend the interview or put all my eggs in one basket with the other TOC.

Does anybody know if there will be any negative impacts if I do attend the interview?

As always the advice you guys and girls give is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance. Also good luck to everybody still in the running. Fingers crossed.

WA_Driver

Hi all,

I've just been invited for an interview for Woking, however I've recently passed all the assessments and interviews for another TOC and I am currently loitering in their talent pool.

I'm in two minds about this as I am unsure if I should attend the interview or put all my eggs in one basket with the other TOC.

Does anybody know if there will be any negative impacts if I do attend the interview?

As always the advice you guys and girls give is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance. Also good luck to everybody still in the running. Fingers crossed.

I guess it really depends on you on which TOC you really want to work for and things like which depot you live closet too, travelling times, pay, terms & conditions etc etc.

But on the other hand you could go to the interview hopefully pass and qualify and then go to the other TOC as qualified driver should the vacancy appear again.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all,

Nothing to lose at all in going for the interview with SWR. If you don’t mind who you’re going to potentially work for, it makes sense to go for an interview and if successful, go with whichever job offer you get. I’d never put other offers or interviews on hold on the basis that I was in a talent pool, as the reality is you may never be offered a job based on this. Going for an interview with any other TOCs won’t impact one another either. Good luck!

Realdeal

Hi all i applied for Woking back in March and had my assessment today down in Southampton. ..i was 1 of 5 on the sheet but the other 4 no showed so i was all alone!..swr dont have the right licences I think it was so there was no chance to do the computer based tests.

Anyhow the other 5 or 6 tests were on paper and although i passed all the tests unfortunately due to my nerves i mistakingly wrote one set of answers on the question booklet rather than the answer sheet...the adjudicator saw immediately but she said she wasn't able to intervene i guess if you make such an elementary error its no wonder you fail.Such a bummer of a way to fail esp as I passed them all!

She did say there are 16 courses running in 2020 so good luck to anyone who made it.

Emma85

Hello,

Is there anyone here that starting on 3rd February in Southampton for the induction?

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all i applied for Woking back in March and had my assessment today down in Southampton. ..i was 1 of 5 on the sheet but the other 4 no showed so i was all alone!..swr dont have the right licences I think it was so there was no chance to do the computer based tests.

Anyhow the other 5 or 6 tests were on paper and although i passed all the tests unfortunately due to my nerves i mistakingly wrote one set of answers on the question booklet rather than the answer sheet...the adjudicator saw immediately but she said she wasn't able to intervene i guess if you make such an elementary error its no wonder you fail.Such a bummer of a way to fail esp as I passed them all!

She did say there are 16 courses running in 2020 so good luck to anyone who made it.
Surprised they didn’t reschedule you if you were the only one that turned up.

Railway123321

Hello, i have an DMI coming up with SWR and was wondering if anyone has any tips on the kind of questions asked? Many thanks for your help : - )

GoTTi

They may ask you:
  • Why do you want to be a train driver?
  • What you currently do
  • What are the qualities of a train driver?
  • What do you know about the company?
  • Who is the Managing Director?
  • A time when you have dealt with an emergency situation?
  • A time when you have had to organise/prioritise?
  • A time when you have dealt with a difficult customer?
  • What do you like and dislike about your current job?
  • What motivates you?
  • How would you prepare for your upcoming shift? Keyword is you would stay Hydrated.
  • When you have worked as part of a team? (They want to know what your role was in the team)
  • A time you have noticed your colleagues standards deteriorating/slipping?
  • A time you have dealt with pressure?
I was asked all these in my DMI.

Any more questions feel free to ask and best of luck

GoTTi

Also don't want to hijack your question but while we are on the subject. I have my MMI coming up this week, just some last minute prep anyone who has recently been through MMI with SWR anything I should know? Thanks in advance

Railway123321

They may ask you:
  • What you currently do
  • What motivates you?
  • How would you prepare for your upcoming shift? Keyword is you would stay Hydrated.
  • When you have worked as part of a team? (They want to know what your role was in the team)

That's a big help thank you very much! :)

baz962

Established Member
They may ask you:
  • What you currently do
  • What motivates you?

As important as staying hydrated may be , I would definitely prioritise getting plenty of rest /sleep and having all you're equipment/kit bag ready.

GoTTi

As important as staying hydrated may be , I would definitely prioritise getting plenty of rest /sleep and having all you're equipment/kit bag ready.
Yes of course. I also said that in my DMI.

Railway123321

Thank you! :) I have already passed my MMI with another TOC, so everything rides on this DMI. Do you have any tips Baz? Thank you

baz962

Established Member
At mine , although for a different toc , I said about the route's , traction type , amount of passengers a day /year , amount of services. Why I wanted to be a driver and what I believe the job entails.

Status
Not open for further replies.