• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT offering to pay for taxis (1st August)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmartin

Talking of Uber I wonder if SWT (or whoever is coughing up) will be happy to reimburse any passengers in full deciding to book one of those during their inevitable 'surge' periods which are at times completely crazy (sorry I see this has already been mentioned above!)

For example on Saturday at Leeds station I needed to book a taxi (17 mile trip), at one point Uber were quoting just short of...SEVENTY POUNDS(!)

In the end I luckily managed to book one of the local companies who did it for £28

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. If they are accepting to refund comedy surge ubers it would be a bit like BA offering to refund private jet costs if a flight was cancelled in terms of ticket cost to cost of redress.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. If they are accepting to refund comedy surge ubers it would be a bit like BA offering to refund private jet costs if a flight was cancelled in terms of ticket cost to cost of redress.

It's really not. It's more like an airline having to refund the Hilton or Renaissance if the Travelodge and Premier Inn are both full, and yes, that's exactly what they should do, not just shrug their shoulders and suggest a park with some benches instead.

Remember the purpose of surge pricing - it's not purely Uber's greed (though it does up their cut a bit), it's primarily that by upping the price for a journey you encourage more drivers out and working.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
What would happen if a taxi driver heard this was happening, bought a ticket to Penzance, drove himself there, charged himself £1000 and then put in the claim?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What would happen if a taxi driver heard this was happening, bought a ticket to Penzance, drove himself there, charged himself £1000 and then put in the claim?

One would hope they would be prosecuted for fraud, and quite possibly doing jail time. Same as if someone faked a taxi receipt without driving, which wouldn't be hard. (I've taken plenty for work and they very often just hand over a blank receipt to fill in yourself).

Also, you'd not be justified in taxi-ing all the way, just to a reasonable point to change back to the train where running.

Status
Not open for further replies.