• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T&W Metro: Nexus won't extend DB Regio contract past 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What Nexus dreams of is not what Nexus will get.

The image was also part of Project Orpheus and not something that will happen. We will likely get new Metrocars that will also be compatible with any potential teams that may come further down the road.

We need a high capacity train. Trams are not suitable and this has been pointed out to Nexus on multiple occasions by both DB and NECA.

Nexus want a full new fleet of trains ready to roll out by 2021. Route extensions/additions and trams are no longer a priority and are a more long term ambition. New trains is both a short and long term ambition.

Nexus will operate the service for 2 years whilst putting it back out for tender.

There isn't much else to discuss here so anything about future additions/stock should probably go in the mega thread (fleet refurbishment).

The existing Metrocar is effectively a tram minus a few bits and pieces, and has moreorless the same dimensions as a Metrolink vehicle. Why are trams not suitable?

I suggest any discussion on this should be in a new thread. It's not the same as the rolling stock refurbishment, which is probably up to dozens of pages by now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Taken from what do they know,

Vehicle Body:

Detailed inspection of the first five units with structural repairs undertaken as required over entire body.
Exterior paintwork to a livery agreed with Nexus.
Waterproofing issues addressed
Flooring evaluated with damage and degradation rectified.
“Bagged” insulation installed where replacement is required.

Passenger Saloon Area:

New lighting diffusers
Replaced window seals
New floor covering
Refinished interior surfaces
New seating layout, replacement seat bases and backs, replacement seat coverings
RVAR improvements including a call-for-aid button and door step lighting
Modified handrails/grabpoles
Passenger counting technology in first 22 units.

Passenger Saloon Doors:

Full door overhaul, with defective or unrepairable door leaves changed out.
Contrasting strip on external stepboards for RVAR compliance.
New audible door warning tone
Renewed door seals
Refinished RVAR-compliant door push buttons

Driver’s Cab (applicable to A-End only):

Replacement floor covering
Refinished interior surfaces
New lighting system
New driver’s seat
New Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) system
Refinished cab desk
Refurbished cab door
Improved cab step and handrails
Improved cab storage facilities
New cab signage
Replacement windscreen wash/wipe system

Electrical System:

Replacement of wiring including:
Wiring between central duct and door headers
Wiring of door headers on 4001 & 4002
Wiring between underframe and equipment cases/cases on the cab cupboard
Wiring contained within the main equipment cases
Wiring contained within the auxiliary cases
Lighting system wiring
Main cabling runs in the central duct, including existing spare wires

What this doesn't show is how the specification for the work changed after the first 13 cars were sent to Doncaster, as work on those went over budget and the project had to be re-evaluated. Also to save money some of the work was done at Gosforth instead of Wabtec.

Scott M

I feel, along with many others, that Nexus has unfairly passed the buck to DB.

However when DB said in a recent press release in response to discontent over poor service that passenger numbers have grown under them, I felt that suggested it was time for a change, as suggests they are interested only from a business perspective as opposed to quality of service.

As stated Nexus will have the same trains and team. Seen some people mention they could run a reduced service however would this have a positive impact? This would just mean that if a train fails there would be an even bigger gap in service due to the next one being further behind.

Established Member
DB have got to put out a positive image, can't go around bad mouthing Nexus in public.

Let's face it, Nexus are not in a good position regarding funding at the minute. When they take back the concession from DB they can't fine themselves so need to find other ways to save money. Easiest way to do this is to cut staff and cut the service.

Take yesterday for example. Points failure overnight meant some peak shorts cancelled from the depot. As a result instead of a 2 min service Pelaw to Gosforth, ended up with a basic Saturday service every 6 mins. Cue overcrowding all morning through the city centre.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who will be interested to see how Nexus cope with operating the T&W Metro. No doubt they will show everyone else how it should be done........

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The service was much better when Nexus used to run it. It can't be any worse than under DB Regio, who still announce a "good service" when all the peak shorts are cancelled.

Whilst were on the subject of incompetence, a special mention to Arriva, who are making a pig's ear of running the 900. 45 minute gaps in service keep getting reported.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
The service was much better when Nexus used to run it. It can't be any worse than under DB Regio, who still announce a "good service" when all the peak shorts are cancelled.

Whilst were on the subject of incompetence, a special mention to Arriva, who are making a pig's ear of running the 900. 45 minute gaps in service keep getting reported.

Something tells me that you don't like Arriva !

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'm ambivalent, really. I think DB Regio do nothing. But the organisation of RRBs (the 900) run by Arriva during the current two week blockade has been farcical.

Today they're using a new route, which takes them from Cullercoats to Tynemouth via North Shields, except they're not letting people off in North Shields, which is causing no end of hilarity. 45 minute gaps in bus service are being reported and several people on Twitter have reported long waits as the buses and the trains are not waiting for each other, to the extent of train loads of Metro passengers watching an RRB pull out and vice versa.

ModernRailways

Established Member

The service started off well under DB. The age of the trains is the main reason added with DB being fined so not being able to even pump money into the system.

Delays of less than 15 minutes are announced over PA and on station boards. Delays of 15 minutes or more are announced on social media and everywhere basically.

The service will stay the same under Nexus (same staff/management, just not ran by DB). If not, then it will get worse, and the next few NECA meetings will be interesting to say the least. Nexus have no money, they won't have DB paying into their little piggy bank for cancelled/delayed trains and so they'll be down to nothing. Cuts will be made, likely to service and staffing levels. Expect Sundays to go to 30 minutes (15 through core) service in the evening, and weekday daytimes to 15 minutes (7 through core), with extra trains during the peaks. 4001, 4002, 4040, and 4083 are all reportedly being pulled from service by the end of 2017/2018.

The buses are sourced and routed by Nexus. Nexus pay for it to the cheapest/best bidder (Arriva in this instance). They can't let people off at North Shields as they have to follow the Metro's route, most of this stuff is actually caused by needing to have the route signed off etc.

Established Member
The 'good service' announcement was specified by Raymond Johnstone, who works for Nexus.

What you need to remember is that just about every decision DB makes, Nexus is in the background pulling the strings. There will be no magic pot of money when Nexus takes over to use to fund improvements. Funnily enough the fines that DB pay to Nexus aren't reinvested in the system and Nexus can hardly fine itself come April next year.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
The 'good service' announcement was specified by Raymond Johnstone, who works for Nexus.

What you need to remember is that just about every decision DB makes, Nexus is in the background pulling the strings. There will be no magic pot of money when Nexus takes over to use to fund improvements. Funnily enough the fines that DB pay to Nexus aren't reinvested in the system and Nexus can hardly fine itself come April next year.

Despite Nexus 'pulling the strings' [quite understandable], it will be DB who employs the management team to run the operation. If Nexus doesn't acquire the same people will it have sufficient expertise available to run it as well/better ?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
However when DB said in a recent press release in response to discontent over poor service that passenger numbers have grown under them, I felt that suggested it was time for a change, as suggests they are interested only from a business perspective as opposed to quality of service.

I have emboldened part of your posting above, as by the very nature of private commercial business entities, they are there to ensure that matters are run to the business perspective. whilst public bodies are normally there to ensure the more ethical parts of similar businesses are run.

It would need a whole new vision of a private sector business model to run matters in the way that you feel and one that seems very far removed from current commercial realities.

MetroCar4058

Personally, I would like to see greater factual support for the opinions being voiced here, Nexus will be wanting to make the case for the system to stay in public hands, therefore they will likely avoid major timetable changes such as that suggested for Sunday's which would probably cause a political uproar and lead to the rolling of heads at Nexus .

From my perspective, there may be some cuts to peak services, but half of them are empty anyway and they cause silly delays to service anyway, apart from that; there is no factual evidence I have seen to support a major service decrease. That form of change would probably lead to a major decline in patronage consequently leading financial implications.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'd be very interested to see some evidence for the doom-mongering from some of the posters here. The fact is the service frequency hasn't changed since Nexus used to run it, so there is precious little evidence to suggest it will change now.

DB Regio's small "fines" (and £500,000 is chickenfeed) are only being deducted from payments from Nexus because they're not meeting the service requirements that Nexus used to meet when they ran the show. Nexus would get to save the rest of the contractual payments.

The idea that a deduction from a contract payment of £270,000- the most recent "fine"- has any material impact on anything is laughable.

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Despite Nexus 'pulling the strings' [quite understandable], it will be DB who employs the management team to run the operation. If Nexus doesn't acquire the same people will it have sufficient expertise available to run it as well/better ?

DB are using the same management as those that used to run it when Nexus ran the service. All the management (and staff) transferred over to DB. DB didn't bring in any of it's own staff.

I'd be very interested to see some evidence for the doom-mongering from some of the posters here. The fact is the service frequency hasn't changed since Nexus used to run it, so there is precious little evidence to suggest it will change now.

DB Regio's small "fines" (and £500,000 is chickenfeed) are only being deducted from payments from Nexus because they're not meeting the service requirements that Nexus used to meet when they ran the show. Nexus would get to save the rest of the contractual payments.

The idea that a deduction from a contract payment of £270,000- the most recent "fine"- has any material impact on anything is laughable.

The proof is clear when you simply look at the way Nexus funds things. Nexus have little money to do anything with the system and they still pretty much run the system. They can force DB into trying to be more pro-active in fixing things because they're losing money on it so they want to make their losses as small as possible. Nexus will have no incentive to do so. What do you think will happen? Nexus take over and everything continue as is, or somehow magically, with the same staff and management everything will get better?

Service requirements were increased when DB took over and Nexus often failed to meet them themselves. Trying to get info on that is hard though as Nexus never released that kind of info like DB do (and they could get away with not publishing it too if they wanted).

Those fines aren't chicken feed, when they could pay the wages of multiple workers, multiple new parts for trains, and plenty of other things. Instead, Nexus chose to spend it mostly on the Bus Scheme they wanted and was thrown away. But no, you're right that is no money at all and that wouldn't help the Metro improve at all.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Personally, I would like to see greater factual support for the opinions being voiced here, Nexus will be wanting to make the case for the system to stay in public hands, therefore they will likely avoid major timetable changes such as that suggested for Sunday's which would probably cause a political uproar and lead to the rolling of heads at Nexus .

From my perspective, there may be some cuts to peak services, but half of them are empty anyway and they cause silly delays to service anyway, apart from that; there is no factual evidence I have seen to support a major service decrease. That form of change would probably lead to a major decline in patronage consequently leading financial implications.

If Nexus do choose to stop the contract with DB (they have that option until next year) then they will be preparing to put it back out into private operation. Nexus don't want it, mainly because they can't afford it. Any new operator will start in 2019, and Nexus now hope for new rolling stock by the end of 2020.

Nexus have been discussing cutting the service back. There idea is for a 15 minute service towards South Hylton/South Shields, and Airport/St James, 7 minutes through the core during the day. At peaks, that 15 minute will go to the current service level but with trains every 3 minutes through core instead of every 2 minutes. At night after 8pm, service will decrease further to every 20 minutes (possibly every 30). Saturdays will follow weekday timetables, without the additional peak services. Sundays, will follow the evening timetable of every 20 minutes, and most likely going every 30 after 6/7pm. Now, they don't sound too drastic, but they are, it would mean through the core; 2 less trains per hour (at least) during the week (10 less in the peaks), 2 trains less on a Saturday, and 2 trains less on a Sunday (4 less after 7pm).

It would be very PR friendly really as they don't sound like huge changes until you actually look properly.

MetroCar4058

If Nexus do choose to stop the contract with DB (they have that option until next year) then they will be preparing to put it back out into private operation. Nexus don't want it, mainly because they can't afford it. Any new operator will start in 2019, and Nexus now hope for new rolling stock by the end of 2020.

Nexus have been discussing cutting the service back. There idea is for a 15 minute service towards South Hylton/South Shields, and Airport/St James, 7 minutes through the core during the day. At peaks, that 15 minute will go to the current service level but with trains every 3 minutes through core instead of every 2 minutes. At night after 8pm, service will decrease further to every 20 minutes (possibly every 30). Saturdays will follow weekday timetables, without the additional peak services. Sundays, will follow the evening timetable of every 20 minutes, and most likely going every 30 after 6/7pm. Now, they don't sound too drastic, but they are, it would mean through the core; 2 less trains per hour (at least) during the week (10 less in the peaks), 2 trains less on a Saturday, and 2 trains less on a Sunday (4 less after 7pm).

It would be very PR friendly really as they don't sound like huge changes until you actually look properly.

See this is where I disagree for several reasons, firstly DB gets no extra finance apart from the £36ish million it receives from Nexus, I am under the illusion that they do make a small profit therefore running the current service is economically feasible for a Public Organisation that is not to make profit, this is bolstered by the £200m that was agreed for day to day running costs of the Metro, so I don't really understand where the funding blackhole is coming from.

I do know Nexus have a potential deficit of 5m however many of these cuts will not come from the Metro end as the metro does offer more pound per passenger than some of the local bus services they run. Also, we need to keep an eye on the devolution deal, which could have some interesting financial implications for Nexus.

Furthermore, any change in service levels, no matter how small will be a political bomb for the Metro, and The MP for South Shields will be on the next train to Westminster. People are not going to standby quietly when the service that they believe is too crowded is further eroded, although as you said, it has only been discussed, consequently is it far from concrete. Personally I believe many of the peak works should be removed from the timetable, especially the Regent Centre services.

Decreases in the already stretched service will most certainly lead to a reduction in patronage, as the metro looses its edge as a rapid transport system, instead it becomes more of a local rail network, I for one would not be using the metro if the service was catalysed as has been suggested in this thread.

From what I've heard, I really do doubt that Nexus will make any major amendments to the timetable, it is too volatile and they do want to make a positive case for keeping the system in public hands, there really isn't going to be much difference between the current service apart from the lack of financial incentives to run a good service.

Personally, I think there should be a transport tax in Tyne & Wear to help fund the fantastic network we have.

Isn't the service already every 3 minutes through the central belt now anyway?

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
See this is where I disagree for several reasons, firstly DB gets no extra finance apart from the £36ish million it receives from Nexus, I am under the illusion that they do make a small profit therefore running the current service is economically feasible for a Public Organisation that is not to make profit, this is bolstered by the £200m that was agreed for day to day running costs of the Metro, so I don't really understand where the funding blackhole is coming from.

I do know Nexus have a potential deficit of 5m however many of these cuts will not come from the Metro end as the metro does offer more pound per passenger than some of the local bus services they run. Also, we need to keep an eye on the devolution deal, which could have some interesting financial implications for Nexus.

DB Regio make a loss. They do not make a profit. Metro (like most rapid transit systems) does not make a profit, iirc they made a tiny profit a few years ago but it wasn't overly much.

Cuts from Nexus will come across the board. The bus scheme Nexus want will highly unlikely go ahead. There were massive gaps and potential issues with what they were going for. And even if that went ahead, profit would likely be tiny (TfL, which Nexus are trying to copy, still needs propped up by Government).

Furthermore, any change in service levels, no matter how small will be a political bomb for the Metro, and The MP for South Shields will be on the next train to Westminster. People are not going to standby quietly when the service that they believe is too crowded is further eroded, although as you said, it has only been discussed, consequently is it far from concrete.

Any service changes would be met with opposition, but as I mentioned the option currently on the table makes it easy to mask, and hide. The South Shields MP Emma Buck is also useless and would complain and moan but wouldn't do anything about it. I'm yet to see anything of substance actually come out of her mouth. She's all talk but no action, but she's Labour so she's loved in Shields.

Personally I believe many of the peak works should be removed from the timetable, especially the Regent Centre services.

Those peak services are incredibly important. They help relieve pressure on the services going out to Airport/Hylton/Shields/The Coast via FLE. If you get the right time, then the Regent Centre train can be packed. They help to clear the platforms, which can get incredibly crowded. They are also useful as replacements should another train fail, or should a train need withdrawn as it's just a set swap, often times can be down with the failed train struggling it's way to the depot. There's a lot of benefits that people don't tend to realise to the peak services.

Decreases in the already stretched service will most certainly lead to a reduction in patronage, as the metro looses its edge as a rapid transport system, instead it becomes more of a local rail network, I for one would not be using the metro if the service was catalysed as has been suggested in this thread.

I'm not sure I'd agree there. I think it would stay about the same with the potential for a small dip. However, it would depend on how drastic the changes are and if those changes mean the service gets more reliable. There's often nights whereby I just miss a train and I have to wait 20 minutes anyway because the train behind is late. If the service was every 20 minutes and I could pretty much guarantee it would be on time then I'm all for it personally. I'd rather see a small dip in service in return for a much more reliable service (following timetable) than the current relatively unreliable service that just tends to run when it likes with even headways.

From what I've heard, I really do doubt that Nexus will make any major amendments to the timetable, it is too volatile and they do want to make a positive case for keeping the system in public hands, there really isn't going to be much difference between the current service apart from the lack of financial incentives to run a good service.

Nexus do not want it get in public hands. It will be going back into private hands in 2019, it may never even leave private hands. Nexus have until next June(?) 2017 to decide if they would like DB to remain. I have every belief that they might well still extend the contract, however I can also see DB telling them to get lost and pulling out regardless. NECA are pressuring Nexus to not extend it, but at the end of the day it's down to Nexus and they still haven't 100% decided.

Personally, I think there should be a transport tax in Tyne & Wear to help fund the fantastic network we have.

You do already pay (if you're of age anyway) through your taxes.

Isn't the service already every 3 minutes through the central belt now anyway?

Service is supposed to be 2 minutes through core, but for the most part is every 3.

MetroCar4058

You do already pay (if you're of age anyway) through your ta
I was under the illusion that Nexus no longer has grants from local councils, as it did feature in a recent news article; although I would have to look further into the financing of Nexus to be certain of this.

Service is supposed to be 2 minutes through core, but for the most part is every 3.

It is however timetabled at three minutes and 20 trains per hour?

Those peak services are incredibly important. They help relieve pressure on the services going out to Airport/Hylton/Shields/The Coast via FLE. If you get the right time, then the Regent Centre train can be packed. They help to clear the platforms, which can get incredibly crowded. They are also useful as replacements should another train fail, or should a train need withdrawn as it's just a set swap, often times can be down with the failed train struggling it's way to the depot. There's a lot of benefits that people don't tend to realise to the peak services.

I do understand the importance of the peak services and how the system works, however my point is that 20 trains per hour is not needed. Withdrawing 2-3 of the peak services would make little difference to the logistics of the network, be they for the extra capacity or the ability to extend the running of the set. Withdrawing some of these services would be beneficial for maintenance at the depot, and lets face it there is always 1 or 2 cancelled of the depot anyway. I would not advocate for no extra peak services, as that would simply be silly however I would suggest reducing the peak requirement from 78 to say 70-74?

Nexus do not want it get in public hands. It will be going back into private hands in 2019, it may never even leave private hands. Nexus have until next June(?) 2017 to decide if they would like DB to remain. I have every belief that they might well still extend the contract, however I can also see DB telling them to get lost and pulling out regardless. NECA are pressuring Nexus to not extend it, but at the end of the day it's down to Nexus and they still haven't 100% decided.

Nexus will not be extending the contact with DB as the NECA has voted against this this week. Interestingly Nexus put together this proposal and presented it to NECA although there has been significant negative press surrounding the removal of DB.

An interesting quote from the joint statement; "While ministers have made clear they will insist on continued private sector involvement in the Metro, we have a chance from 2017 to 2019 to show what can be achieved with a publicly-run railway."
Therefore the purse strings (NECA) wants the service in the public hands, and like TWITA they have major influence over Nexus, whether they like the ideas or not.

I know the Chronicle is chronic, but there is some interesting quotes from NECA and Nexus within this article: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/tyne-wear-metro-users-not-11097030

Also, I took a brief look at Nexus accounts last night, and I am no financial expert but there appears not to be any major financial issues for the organisation;

http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/defau...(signed off version with new front cover).pdf

Scott M

Some questions:

1) why did DB Regio take over if it was always unlikely to cause them anything but a loss?

2) Why do DB Regio get fined when nexus' trains break down?

3) Do you think some drivers are sweating it, with these cuts to services (and therefore likely cuts to drivers) being mooted? (Potential strike action further down the line)

I have emboldened part of your posting above, as by the very nature of private commercial business entities, they are there to ensure that matters are run to the business perspective. whilst public bodies are normally there to ensure the more ethical parts of similar businesses are run.

It would need a whole new vision of a private sector business model to run matters in the way that you feel and one that seems very far removed from current commercial realities.

You're correct in what you say. Perhaps it is time to return to public ownership then.

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Some questions:

1) why did DB Regio take over if it was always unlikely to cause them anything but a loss?

2) Why do DB Regio get fined when nexus' trains break down?

3) Do you think some drivers are sweating it, with these cuts to services (and therefore likely cuts to drivers) being mooted? (Potential strike action further down the line)

You're correct in what you say. Perhaps it is time to return to public ownership then.

Rightly or wrongly, the general perception of transport run by public ownership is one of less efficiency and greater overall costs. I doubt that the taxpayers of T&W would be happy to be told that they will all have to contribute more taxes to pay for the metro.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I disagree; there was a huge outcry when metro was privatised and nothing DB Regio has done has made people change their minds. Your perception may be that public ownership is inefficient, but that's not the general opinion in the north east if the local media is anything to go by. Most people seem delighted DB Regio are out on their ear.

Still waiting for that evidence for the Nexus Doomsday btw...

I don't think anything will change when DB Regio leave. But it'll be nice to not be ripped off by the Germans.

Last edited:

14xxDave

At peaks, that 15 minute will go to the current service level but with trains every 3 minutes through core instead of every 2 minutes.

Isn't the 3 minute core service meant to be what is now, not two minutes, according to the joke timetable?

D.

nerd

It may be worth keeping in mind that delivery of new rolling stock will be spread out over least 5 years, and most likely more. So we may expect some, at least, of the current Metrocar fleet to have to continue to 2025; and maybe longer.

Last edited:

Nexus_Comms

We don't normally comment directly on posts in forums, but we would like to point out the above claims are completely untrue. There are no discussions about reducing service frequency and Nexus can afford the service we specify - passenger numbers have risen sharply in the last two years and Metro now operates without local council subsidy, on a combination of fares and Government rail grant.

darloscott

I'm ambivalent, really. I think DB Regio do nothing. But the organisation of RRBs (the 900) run by Arriva during the current two week blockade has been farcical.

Today they're using a new route, which takes them from Cullercoats to Tynemouth via North Shields, except they're not letting people off in North Shields, which is causing no end of hilarity. 45 minute gaps in bus service are being reported and several people on Twitter have reported long waits as the buses and the trains are not waiting for each other, to the extent of train loads of Metro passengers watching an RRB pull out and vice versa.

I've been part of the team driving the replacement buses and I'd like to point out that the only problematic day we had was Good Friday where the traffic along the seafront from Tynemouth to Cullercoats was killing our running times. Apart from that (and I'm still not entirely sure there were gaps upto 45 minutes) the service has been pretty punctual, although there were occasions where I had to leave Shiremoor late due to the late arrival of trains.
The route into Tynemouth was due to the turn into the station from the village being too tight to turn a bus into, according to Nexus. They're the ones who set the route, not Arriva. Also, we stationed a spare bus at Tynemouth station for the first two or three days but it was decided (by Nexus I believe) to remove this facility after this point. Reliability issues were few and far between but were usually dealt with by stepping up buses to help cover any gaps until a replacement vehicle could be brought in.

Scott M

We don't normally comment directly on posts in forums, but we would like to point out the above claims are completely untrue. There are no discussions about reducing service frequency and Nexus can afford the service we specify - passenger numbers have risen sharply in the last two years and Metro now operates without local council subsidy, on a combination of fares and Government rail grant.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to us, it is much appreciated.

It is encouraging to see that service frequency will not be reduced and that you are in a relatively healthy financial state.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Although dual voltage tram trains are the fashionable thing at the present time, is there any particular business case for 25kV over any of the lines that the Metro operates on or is likely to operate on?

I find it hard to imagine that 25kV electrification to Sunderland is going to happen any time soon. Might as well just extend south at 1500V.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There's probably not much case at present with no plans for electrification of the Durham Coast and all the long-distance operators having diesels or bi-modes available that can operate over this section even with its non-standard electrification.

However the Metro replacement fleet could go into service in (say) 10 years time and run for 40 years. Would anyone put money on the above still being applicable in 2065?

The only case for extending 1500V southwards in my view would be if there was a desire to provide new stations and Metro service to the southern half of Sunderland and Seaham. I'm not aware of any such proposal, and it would probably be impossible anyway because of the unattractiveness of sharing the limited number of Metro paths on towards Newcastle between two routes south of Sunderland.

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It becomes a question of how much you are willing to spend to retain this capability that might be needed fifty years from now.
Unless you chose to depend on PETTs becoming available in the future you effectively have to design the trains to accept a transformer of the types available today which is a significant design compromise.
A single voltage 1500V rail vehicle can be built far more simply than an AC or dual voltage version of the same.
It is also worth noting that any fleets likely to be operating the Durham Coast line will probably be self contained and therefore the service could simply be operated by a handful of dual voltage units should the need arise.

The traffic on the line is highly unlikely to be sufficient to put significant strain on 1500V supply technologies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.