Taking Children to London

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by alistairstubbs, 28 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alistairstubbs

alistairstubbs Member

We are planning on taking our children to London for a few days to see the sights. What tickets do they need for the Tube, their ages are 8, 11 and 14. Last time we went they all travelled free but that was a few years ago. We have a Friends and Family rail card if that helps.

2. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

Where are you travelling from, at what time and do you have any railcards?

That will enable us to give a more accurate answer.

3. alistairstubbs

alistairstubbs Member

We have a friends and family rail card and will be staying in London. Haven't booked anywhere yet though but hope to be fairly central.

4. cool110

cool110 Member

On tube, DLR, London overground, buses and trams under 11s can travel without a ticket when accompanied by an adult. 11-15 year olds can buy a zones 1-9 off-peak day travelcard for £2.30 each when accompanied by a Friends and Family railcard holder.

As for yourself you can buy a zones 1-6 off-peak day travelcard with railcard discount for £7.90 or if staying within zones 1-3 oyster/contactless will be cheaper.

5. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

On a related topic, does an adult F&F holder have to buy a travelcard as well or simply hold a valid ticket?

Late last year we wanted to go from Kings X to Croxley Green. The cheapest adult ticket was an Oyster ticket. We did not have an 11-15 Oyster card as my nephew lives in Yorkshire. An F&F child day travelcard was cheaper than a child single but not enough for it to be worth his Mum buying a travelcard rather than using Oyster PAYG. We were told they both had to buy travelcards.

Was this right or wrong?

6. cool110

cool110 Member

The railcard holder can have any valid ticket.

7. Deerfold

I thought that, but the ticket clerk was adamant we couldn't buy it.

8. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Does that include Oyster PAYG or contactless?

9. cool110

cool110 Member

The TfL website doesn't clarify if does or not. However one of the railcards that can be set on oyster (HM Forces) also lets you buy the discounted child travelcards which would imply that it does.

10. bluegoblin7

bluegoblin7 Member

Any adult ticket, Oyster or contactless card is valid for the purposes of under 11s travelling, if that is the question being asked (I'm not sure).

F&F railcards cannot be loaded on an Oyster card, so there is no discount available here. Because it can't be put on an Oyster card you also can't get F&F discounted child-rate tickets when using an Oyster card; both tickets must be magnetics.

However, as opposed to purchasing child-rate travelcards for the 11-15yo I would suggest getting an Oyster card and then asking a member of staff to add the 'Young Visitor' Oyster discount for the duration of your stay; this way you get the flexibility of Oyster PAYG and the discounted travel options. It can be done anywhere in zone 1 at either a ticket office or by any* CSA at a ticket machine.

*That's if the CSA has the relevant login, which we've all been told to arrange.

(Hopefully this reply makes sense; I've tried to address both the OP & Deerfold's questions/comments in one - let me know if not.)

11. Deerfold

That would have been a good option from the CSA but unfortunately I was unaware this could be done so we had 3 on Oyster, one free and an expensive child paper ticket.

12. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

If your traveling on SE grab yourself the leaflet for the 2-4-1 Days out with a valid ticket. No doubt other TOC's have similar offers.

If you're here for a few days then consider a "free" day. There are plenty of things you can do for "free" and its well worth planning a full itinerary of free museums. If you do grab a travel card its very easy to plan a route hopping on and off the tube. The British Museum is free and the National Gallery and Portrait gallery are free and right on Traf Square. We tend to come home via Charing Cross so it is perfect to start or end the day there (for free)

13. DelayRepay

DelayRepay Member

The offers are also listed here: http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

14. Flamingo

Flamingo Established Member

15. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

You're a star ! Cheers for the linky. I wasn't aware that it was such a big promotion.

Oyster isn't valid for that promotion though. The clause quoted below might be a good workaround and is fully supported :)

16. johntea

johntea Member

With regards to hotels if you're prepared to plan make sure you check out Premier Inn etc outside the 'central' zone as you can save hundreds of pounds by doing so!

Personally when I visit London I like to stay in Stevenage which is a 20-30 minute train from Kings Cross although this would require additional ticketing getting to there from London and back, I'm fairly sure places in the sort of Zone 4-6 area would have good pricing though (Barking etc)

17. Trainfan344

Trainfan344 Established Member

Shoutout to the Aldgate East Premier Inn, stayed in there once, easy access from Aldgate East tube, not far from The tower of london and tower bridge, and plenty of resturants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.