• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tamper Fire Dunton Green 23/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is this likely to have any significant impact on track maintenance programmes?

I have no idea how many tampers there are in the country, or hence what fraction of that fleet one machine represents. I assume that manufacturers don't have a "showroom" of new machines awaiting buyers, so it will presumably be a while before this one is either replaced or repaired.
The Combined Volume shows 87 active tampers.

That'll be 86 now.

This one was one of ten of a particular type.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Couple of orange suits having a look around 75411 on woking yard just now. Coincidence??

DelW

Established Member
The Combined Volume shows 87 active tampers.

That'll be 86 now.

This one was one of ten of a particular type.
Thanks, that's rather more than I'd have guessed. Probably not too major an effect then.

DoubleO

Couple of orange suits having a look around 75411 on woking yard just now. Coincidence??

I'm sure extra checks will be carried out but machines like that require maintenance pretty much every day normally anyway

MadMac

A hydraulic leak could cause a pump to run dry and then become very very hot very quickly if unnoticed (although I would think that a machine as complex as this would have systems to detect this kind of issue)as the hydraulic oil is quite often used to also cool components. Potentially causing enough heat to start a fire of accumulated grease/grime etc. Then once hot enough the hydraulic oil has the potential to add fuel to the fire.
Coincidentally, I saw a short video of a refuse lorry over the weekend where the hydraulics spung a leak. It went up in seconds.

brad465

Established Member
The YouTube channel emmo999 plays host to a number of driver's eye view videos in this neck of the woods filmed from Tampers; hopefully whoever was involved, whether it was this user or not, is alright.

Dan17H

Was the damage to the track minimal then? I see service resumed around lunchtime.
Although I wasn't involved in the track side of the call out, I think they were happy the track hadn't been compromised, and was OK with running traffic on it after a quick clean up. They'd more than likely tested the signalling and ran a few trains at different speeds.

Is this likely to have any significant impact on track maintenance programmes?

I have no idea how many tampers there are in the country, or hence what fraction of that fleet one machine represents. I assume that manufacturers don't have a "showroom" of new machines awaiting buyers, so it will presumably be a while before this one is either replaced or repaired.
There are a good number of tampers in the south east, Balfours have spares so I wouldn't of thought it'd have affected any planned engineering works.

Status
Not open for further replies.