• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tanfield Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWTrains

Anyone else here a vistor, or a volunteer, at the Tanfield Railway? It’d be great to know of anyone else who volunteers to have a chat here and also to talk direct with visitors and other enthusiasts who visit the railway!

I, myself, am a commercial volunteer.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have been on a couple of visits to that railway and maybe going again later this if the group tour booked for May and now postponed until August does still go ahead.

I really enjoy going there, the locos and old carriages. One time when we visited it, there was a 1950s event at a large field near one of the stations and some of the visitors to that travelled on the trains too in their great 1950s gear. The same field was also used for helicopter sightseeing flights.

They tend to combine it with a visit to Beamish too.

dan4291

We visit usually 2 or 3 times a year, nice little railway. Last time we went was the Halloween event, kids loved it.

alexl92

Established Member
Never been but it's top of my 'wanted' list! Was hoping to see what the date & lineup was for this year's Legends of Industry gala was but I'm guessing that will happen much later in the year if at all

vlad

I visited the Tanfield last year and would recommend it. The scenery isn't bad considering it's essentially an industrial railway.

I could have spent longer walking round the engine shed but that would have meant missing the train....

geoffk

Established Member
I went last year, stayed overnight and spent the next day at Beamish. Would have liked to see Twizell running but it was pulled out of the shed for us to photograph in the afternoon. Seemed a friendly outfit and would go again.

HY_4273

It's a very friendly line, with some interesting rolling stock. The tea room's good too.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Visited it for the first time last year. Had been putting it off as it is rather a long drive from where I live.

Really impressed by its distinctive atmosphere and they have quite a bit of stock that is not well represented elsewhere. Some nice walks around the Causey Arch as well. Very friendly 'staff' (volunteers). It's not the Severn Valley or North Yorkshire Moors but well worth a visit.

SeanG

Tanfield is a great railway - I feel that its something different to the other preserved railways. Getting off at Causey Arch is worth it to go for a walk.
If you are travelling a long way, definitely do Beamish Museum too - its only a few miles away

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Would anyone who’s visited the railway happen to know if they have any historical records, or would they have most likely gone elsewhere?

TWTrains

Would anyone who’s visited the railway happen to know if they have any historical records, or would they have most likely gone elsewhere?

As a volunteer I’d be delighted to answer your question.

We do have historical records, however I believe many of them are stored on a different site, Beamish I know is one of them. Some historical records are kept on site, as they get brought out for show every so often, and I’d assume these are kept in various storage areas around Marley Hill.

The railway also is home to some records which aren’t directly linked to the railway, in store at Marley Hill and also at Andrews House station. An example is the British Rail diagrams and also the British Rail driver sheets. These have been kindly donated by visitors and the collection is always growing.

I’ll tell you now, I’ve not been a commercial volunteer for as long as some of the other volunteers, so I don’t have full knowledge of the records, however should you wish to ask about them we’ll happily assist you.

^TW

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for your reply, it’s information about an accident I’m interested in.

There was a fatality at Tanfield Lea on 18 Sep 1848, an ancestor, (one of my third great grandfathers), was killed. I haven’t been able to find an online news article, and I don’t think the 1840s authorities were too worried about the death of an employee, so the usual railway accident sites don’t seem to have it.

Anyway, his name was John Gladders, and from his death certificate he was a “waggon rider”, and the cause of death is given as a matter of fact sounding “waggons jumped railway and passed over his chest on York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway”.

I think the Tanfield Railway was under YNB control by then, I’m not that certain on the exact history.

The informant on the death certificate was the coroner, in December, so I’m assuming there was an inquest. I’m thinking that might be available if I was to check in person at Durham CC archives.

Martin66

It’s not full steam ahead for a 116-year-old steam locomotive – thanks to callous thieves.

Officers have launched an investigation after copper pipework and brass fittings were stolen from the world’s oldest railway.

Opportunistic thieves targeted Tanfield Railway’s Sunniside base on April 28 and made off with valuable copper piping and brass fittings.

The copper piping and brass fittings taken are antique and the parts are of great importance to the railway museum for restoration of the “Horden” locomotive salvaged from Horden Colliery.

Status
Not open for further replies.