• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tanked toilets - A question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
When one is desperate, a dodgy tap or a jammed bog roll dispenser are problems of a much smaller magnitude than the toilet being OOU altogether.

True - if someone is really desperate they can, of course, be allowed in the toilet on the understanding it may not be up to standards. But most people are understandably aggrieved and, to put it mildly, inconvenienced if they use a toilet and can't clean up afterwards. For this reason they should be locked out of use.

It should also be pointed out that when dealing with modern (or modern ish) rolling stock, some faults relating to fittings such as taps and washbasins, in particular, can lead to much wider problems if not resolved. Sometimes, in order to do this, the toilet needs to go OOU until fixed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The idea of removable tanks is something that is commonplace on caravans and motorhomes, but the volumes dealt with in those cases are far lower and there isn't the time pressure that trains have to deal with. It's a nice idea but I can't think of any way that it could be made to work on the railway.

lincolnshire

Never seen the waste extracted on a platform. What I am presuming that people have seen is that there is a bowser tanking (filling) the freshwater tank which is smaller than the waste tank.

Also are not the waste tank connection below the the coach in other words below platform level? as thats the location of most of the one I have seen.

Hull Trains have a suction unit mounted on a Ford Transit pick up to do there sets at Hull and I do belive that it can get up the side of the train thats not in the platform as they use road D and it goes up the other side of the train.

Road D & E used to be platforms 12 & 13 years ago.

If you go to Brighton Station they have 2 water bowsers for tanking trains that stand at the far end of the platform and are used for tanking trains. Another oddity is that they are both the same but belong to different TOC,s and have to be filled from different points so they both equally pay for the water used as they have each got a water meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.