• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TC60054's Random Trips Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC60054

01/04 - April Fools?

No April Fools here, although a productive day out...even if I didn't manage to complete the second of my objectives :lol:

We start today, at Meadowhall, with duds 142019/142020 taking us forwards into Sheffield, where dud 220026 then took us back the other way, up to York via Doncaster, even reaching Doncaster a whole seven minutes early along the way.

Of course, with me being involved in this, the day cannot go smoothly, that seems to now be the rule, as after alighting in York, I'd noticed that our chosen 0808 service to Newcastle had been cancelled. True to form, I took this opportunity of an extra 20 minutes to go and source a drink in York city centre, before returning to the station to take winner 91114 north...on a TPE only ticket :lol:

Making good time on the way up, we were soon at Newcastle and making our way down to the Metro, where the £7 Day Rover was purchased, and we made our way down onto the platform to get on the first train to appear. These were double winners 4030/4043, and were taken the single leap through to Monument, with the aim of heading to St James, however we'd just missed a service. To make up for this, 4075/4015 were taken through to the winning shack of Manors, where 4026/4046 were taken through to St James, and back to Monument. I was starting to get slightly annoyed here, as two of the 14 Metrocars that I'd already had had already shown their face :roll:

Back to the low level (I think), and 4042/4059 were next, taken through to Gateshead Stadium, where dud and winner 4090/4021 returned us to Central station, where we'd meet another mate who was joining us for the day.

After this, it was a hop to Gateshead on 4075/4015 again, where winners 4014/4076 took us the short distance over to Pelaw, for 4003/4045 through to South Shields.

This winning streak was far more like it, and eventually we made it to South Shields, where the decision was made to take the ferry across the Tyne to North Shields, where we eventually picked up 4073/4008 around the coast to Haymarket. We'd planned to get the 1323 to Metrocentre, this being a Scottish 156, so a couple of time-wasting hops were taken, with 4067/4005 being taken through to Monument.

Here, the plan completely changed, as the next train arrived, and it took a moment to click what had just happened - unrefurbished 4040/4083 had made an appearance, taking us past Central Station through to Gateshead. This move was taken only because we wanted to ride in both of the pair, a decision which eventually left us a couple of 156s down, as 4047/4064 had decided to kill themselves at Felling.

A couple of completely wedged trains later, the plan changes again, as winners 4056/4006 were taken through to Felling, for 4013/4065 across to South Hylton, and then to Sunderland, amidst the rain.

There was a good connection onto a train here, so 142016 was taken through to Heworth, a decision made as the Pacer was rather more rowdy than we'd have liked! A hop over onto the Metro station, and we were feeling the effects of flooding on the South Shields branch at this point, and so the final Metro pair of the day would be 4069/4018 through to Airport and back to Monument. We'd have stepped back at Airport, however with the train behind being dud for the day, this decision wasn't taken, instead opting for some food for my comrades at this point.

Food over and done with, a walk to Newcastle station was now taken, where winner 156435 was taken through to Metrocentre. I'd hoped that the next service back to Newcastle, and this didn't disappoint...and neither did the Hexham in the opposite direction, however this wasn't an option sadly. :lol:

The Newcastle train didn't disappoint in being a winner 156, but annoyingly it happened to be 156471 - all this way for an Allerton 156 :oops::lol: We'd returned to Newcastle, and was found once again by our very own rg177, who we left about 40 minutes later as we took 185141 down through the engineering posession on the east coast mainline, eventually arriving into York 12 minutes late.

The plan from here was to get the VTEC to Doncaster, and then the TPE across to Meadowhall, however double winners 43277/43309 (I did have to do a double take at this point!) were running just a couple of minutes too late - and incidentally so was the next Meadowhall service :roll:

Eventually, 158853 showed up, reaching Meadowhall 11 minutes behind schedule...however this also being 34 minutes later than planned :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TC60054

I worded that badly, still got the VTEC HST down to Doncaster, just missed the connection as it was a couple of minutes late!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Why did you have to flag the VTEC move to Doncaster? I'm confused!

EDIT: Ah never mind. Shame the connection missed!

Productive day all in though, without a doubt I'd have scored a few there myself. I do need to get back up there and clear my last two Metro shacks!

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I wonder where I put my little voodoo doll? ;)

[and I wonder if anybody can work out what for ;)]
43277 ;)?

I've just caught up with your trips. There's a lot of good ones there. You certainly got the better deal by getting the VTEC north instead of the TPE too (it'll be the other way round in a few years though).

TC60054

43277 ;)?

I've just caught up with your trips. There's a lot of good ones there. You certainly got the better deal by getting the VTEC north instead of the TPE too (it'll be the other way round in a few years though).

I really must say that I don't completely agree with you there.

cactustwirly

Established Member
43277 ;)?

Of course! The TPE 802s will be much better than the VTEC 801s! ;)

TC60054

08/04

I did it, I finally did it! Tram 101 was my chariot into the city centre on Saturday morning, clearing all 25 active trams for the year, which most definitely was a rather nice surprise! Hopping off at the station, and down to the platform, and it was now the job of dud 220011 to take me to Derby. There's something rather enjoyable about doing a Voyager on one of the non-stop workings through Chesterfield.

At Derby, some breakfast was sourced (I was bloody hungry!) before winner 170104 was sourced through to Nottingham, taking me completely by surprise so much I had to double take!

In Nottingham, a few photos later, and tram 224 was taking me down the Clifton line, this time as far as Wilford Lane, where after a quick gander at the world's most pointless siding, 223 returned me up to Meadows Embankment. I'd had gen that my mate was currently on 208 heading for Hucknall, so 213 was next, taken up to the station, where a quick 10 minute fester led to 208 through to Hucknall, and back to Wilkinson Street.

A quick walk later, and it was now the job of 202 back up to Hucknall, down to Toton, and across to Inham Road, where I took a couple of photos before heading back to take 219 back into Nottingham.

Station reached, drink sourced, and it was down to platform 2, where sadly dud 156406 was waiting for me. This was taken to Netherfield, with a quick(ish) walk, after initially heading the wrong way, through to Carlton. 156498 soon showed up, and was taken through to Attenborough, where hoping my luck would change, duds 153302/153308 returned me to Nottingham.

This deposited me on platform 4, and anyone that knows me should know I detest platform 4 at Nottingham. However, the benefit of this was that a Meridian had caught my eye - so 222009 was taken through to Beeston, where 222014 returned me back to Nottingham.

Back to the trams, with just two and a half hours remaining for the last Sheffield train to arrive. 204 was taken through to Old Market Square, where I returned to Southchurch Drive North on 209, taking the opportunity to let 209 have a good thrashing up the former GCR alignment. 232 next, which was taken through to Wilford Village, a nice little island platform allowed me 233 through to my final new shack of the day, Ruddington Lane.

209 returned me back up the GCR alignment, and back to Nottingham, whereby I decided to take a couple of hops after accidentally finding my other NET-employee friend. These moves were:
203 Nottingham Station - Lace Market
229 Lace Market - Old Market Square
233 Old Market Square - Royal Centre
207 Royal Centre - Nottingham Trent Uni
220 Nottingham Trent Uni - High School
221 High School - The Forest

It was now time to head home, so 220 was taken back to the station, where it was onto duds 43083/43044 for the long slog up the Erewash Valley.

Tram 120 took me home from there, albeit much busier than normal for some reason.

I've run out of things to say there, so...oh well! For your benefit, I've attached a photo of a tram.

Attachments

• IMG_4768.jpg
    IMG_4768.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

TC60054

15/04 - London, MK3.5

After a slightly delayed awakening, it was a quick half an hours dash to get stuff ready, before leaving the house at 0545. By this point, the first Halfway tram would've just left Birley Moor Road towards Halfway, so it was a walk over to Hollinsend to grab the 0603 Cathedral, today formed again of 101. The first Malin Bridge in a morning has a tendency to be late, so this was simply a "Just to be on the safe side" move, which eventually left me at the station with just over half an hour to spare.

My next move was on 142092, through to Doncaster, as the CrossCountry calls had been reversed with the engineering possession between Leeds and York, which left me at Doncaster a whole four minutes early, arriving at 0729, which gave me enough time for a quick wander around the station, noting one of my last Northern 150s sat in West Yard. Soon after, 43076/43050 showed up on the 0745 London, complete with a random EMT first class carriage.

On this trip, I tried BEAM, unsuccessfully, however on the plus side, EMT had given NL65 a bit of attention since my last journey on this set, as we now had working wifi and plugs - every cloud I suppose, even if the wifi was a bit patchy until we reached Peterborough!

Soon enough, the VP185s were roaring through Gasworks tunnels, arriving into Kings Cross a whole eight minutes early, allowing plenty of time to go and queue to grab my Travelcard, before joining 21348/21347 through to Liverpool Street. Up to the concourse, and it was onto platform 3 to join 315808/315816 on the short hop through to Bethnal Green, winning both LO as a TOC, and the 315s as a class. We'd hatched a plan at this point, and so took 315803/315802 through to Walthamstow Central on the Chingford service following not too far behind, before taking the walk across to Walthamstow Queens Road to join 172002 across to Barking. Making our way over to platform 8, and getting confused as to the massive gaps between trains, before making our way over to platform 5 to join the 1059 Fenchurch Street service, which was later identified as 357045/357207 upon arrival.

A quick walk over to Tower Hill tube station now, to take 21485/21486 across to Victoria, where 377708/377621 were picked up, working a Brighton service, complete with OBS who gave the distinct impression he didn't have a clue as to what he was doing on the train. So much for improved customer service :roll:

Sadly, we'd just missed the Reading fast service upon arrival at Clapham Junction, so a double 458 set was taken through to Feltham, which upon arrival was identified as 458519/458516...and now it was time for a bus over to Heathrow, which, of course, was running late. I mean, it wouldn't be a bus otherwise :lol:

I'd given my mate two options for this trip to Heathrow - either an hour doing the transfers, or, if the weather was half decent, an hour or so photographing planes arriving. Fortunately, the weather was much better than forecasted, so the latter option was chosen, and around an hour later, it was down to Hatton Cross tube station for my first trip on the Piccadilly line. This was on 886/225, as far as Acton Town, where, after resisting the temptation to visit the LT Museum depot over the road, it was onto 242/113 through to Ealing Common, for 21432/21431 across to Ealing Broadway. We'd timed the arrival here just right, as 70807 powered through on an engineers train from Ladbroke Grove, running only two hours early, before 165126/166212 returned us to possibly my most embarrassing shack score of the day, London Paddington. winning the TOC, shacks, track, and two new classes. Not a bad run then! :lol:

At Paddington, 70804 was idling away in one of the bays, and we'd passed 70810 just further up the line, so 21460/21459 were taken across to Royal Oak for a quick photo. Now, I'm no trainspotter, but I cannot resist photographing anything that says 60 or 70 on it if at all possible :lol: 21441/21442 were next taken forwards to Hammersmith, where the change back to the district line was made, for 21457/21458 through to Earls Court.

With this being a Saturday, the Olympia branch was open, so of course being in the area meant that it was hard to resist doing it - so after an almost 20 minute wait, 21555/21556 were taken through to Kensington Olympia, for 377702 across to Harrow & Wealdstone.

Bakerloo line next, to continue my winning streak that had been ongoing all day, and it was now the job of 3238/3554 to take us through to Willesden Junction, where we changed for another required class through to Clapham Junction. Sure enough, 378257 showed up, and soon enough we were at Clapham, and onto 377138 back into Victoria, the massive loop around west London completed.

Running out of time now, so one final hop out was made, in the form of 465032/465175 over to Lewisham, on the 1828 Sevenoaks, where 465015/465183 were taken back into Victoria after only a ten minute wait.

Down to the Victoria line, and with the very frequent trains at the present moment, I'm half regretting not doing a couple of hops to try and win a couple more sets of 2009 stock, but non the less, 11080/11079 were taken back over to Kings Cross St Pancras. Whilst I still had over an hour for my booked train, we'd decided to use the opportunity to get some food (I wouldn't be getting in until midnight, and it was now half 7), and have an unbooked social event.

Saying our goodbyes, I made my way over to St Pancras, and joined 222006 on the 165 mile run back north to Sheffield, getting bored as we passed what I think was Market Harborough. The track between St Pancras and Luton was still required, so this was a nice final win for the day. We arrived into Sheffield just before 11pm, and I made my way up to the tram for what ended up being almost a 25 minute wait before tram 106, complete with massive wheelflat, turned up to take me the four miles home.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was quite a productive day for you! I was mindblown to read you scored London Paddington, and by the sound of it it was your first ever GWR run. Mind blown twice!

Established Member
GTR Southern OBS that gave the impression they didn't have a clue what they were doing? No way(!)

TC60054

22/04

With 185143 safely away from Liverpool, it seemed like a good time to make what seems to now be my monthly trip to Liverpool. Tram 103 was this morning's tram, which connected nicely onto 158846/158806 on the 0840 Liverpool. I'd managed to be out an entire hour earlier today, so hopefully it'd mean an extra hour of winners, although as it turned out, that wasn't to be the case.

We arrived into Manchester on time, and after sourcing my next ticket from the useless Northern TVM on the footbridge, and checking the units on the 0946 Blackpool, it was onto dud 175104 through to Newton. Sourcing yet another ticket, and it was back to the platform to await the stopper. I noted a winning 319 arrive on the Liverpool fast, although I let this go after a bit of station overtime. Soon enough though, dud 319375 arrived in empty to form the stopper, and I boarded, taking a seat underneath the pantograph as booked.

We arrived into Liverpool just a minute late, and before heading off for the normal, it was over to platform 9 to take winner for the year 185123 through to Liverpool South Parkway - after having two weeks away from being on these monsters, it was great to be back on one, even if it was only a five mile leap. At South Parkway, it was a short wait for the Manchester all shacks behind - this somehow being 156425/156491 - a double winner on Northern! This was taken to Hough Green for the eleven minute connection onto double duds 150114/142025 back into Liverpool.

Food break over, and over to Liverpool Central, and it was onto 508141 on an Ormskirk service through to the winning shack of Kirkdale, where we stepped back onto dud 507014 through to Fazakerley (Kirkby line cleared), and back to Kirkdale, in the sheer hope of winning another unit. This wasn't to be, as dud 508110 rolled in to take us over to Moorfields for the bus across to Birkenhead.

This bus ride was dire, and that's being polite. The driver seemed to be incapable of driving smoothly, using both the accelerator and the brake like they were switches, which wasn't helped with all the traffic, both in Liverpool city centre and through the tunnel! A whole 37 minutes later however, and we were in Birkenhead and onto dud 507007 for the short run down to Bebington, shack 4. The next idea was to step back a set, so dud 508138 took us the mile back to Rock Ferry, where after a short dash over the bridge, double duds 508122/508114 were taken down to the sixth shack of the day, Hooton.

Being on the Chester line made it seem like a good idea to grab in the shacks on the Ellesmere Port branch, and with this train having a spot on decent connection at Hooton, this was the best chance. Fortunately, the shuttle today was being provided by winner 508103, which first off was taken through to Overpool, where some drink and food was sourced, then back to Little Sutton, before returning to Hooton via Ellesmere Port.

Fed up by now of 508103, it was now time to go further down into Cheshire on dud 507007 for Capenhurst. The next plan was to get Green Lane, Eastham Rake, and Spital in, but with the situation of the Mersey tunnel, I didn't particularly like the sound of staying on the Wirral line too late, so these were left for another day, whilst double duds 507013/508108 returned us to Birkenhead Central.

At Birkenhead, the queue for the rail replacement was huge, so for sanity's sakes, we wandered over to the bus station to pick up a 437 back into Liverpool, and soon enough we were back over at Liverpool Central, and hopping onto dud 508115 on the next Hunts Cross service, taking us through to Brunswick to clear the Hunts Cross end of the route.

508136 through to Sandhills next, and it was time to go and finish off the Ormskirk line, by way of winner 507012 taking us through to Town Green, for 507025 to Orrell Park, where a quick change led to 508110 through to Old Roan, leaving me with just a couple of shacks on the Southport line to finish off the Northern Line.

It was quarter past 7 at this point, and I was starting to lose energy, so now-dud 507012 was taken through to Liverpool Central, for a slow walk the long way round to Lime Street. This walk was quite amusing, after watching a huge flock of seagulls fighting over a massive pile of chips.

At Lime Street, I was surprised to see the unit unlocked, sat on platform 4 - this was winner 319376, the same unit that I'd flagged at Newton earlier (see, there's method behind my madness!), and this was taken through to Manchester, being sat at Ordsall Lane Jcn for a considerable period of time whilst some congestion sorted itself out.

Platform 5 now, and I was pleasantly surprised to see my favourite 185, 185133, roll in on 1B94 to take me back to Sheffield. The fact the unit seemed to have this idea it was going through to Cleethorpes was rather amusing, and a leisurely run to Stockport was had. Caution, this trip report contains scenes of utter amazingness from a class 185.

Upon departure from Stockport, the driver seemed to have realised it was hometime at Sheffield, and definitely not being conservative with the power handle, with the 185 remaining in power from Hazel Grove pretty much all the way through to Chinley Junctions, and then some!. Being sat in my favourite seat on one of these (the table in coach B in front of the exhaust), I was in my element, and I don't think I've ever been less happy to see Sheffield arriving before in my life.

Tram 103 once again returned me home from the station, but there's nothing fun to report from this today.

Established Member
I'll get banned if I comment honestly. There's a time and a place-and this forum certainly isn't it!
Assuming of course, that was aimed at me rather than my namesake...

TC60054

29/04

I'd somehow managed to get out of the house early again, leaving me with an early running tram 120 through to Sheffield Station, where after a quick trip to the booking office, it was down onto platform 6 for my train. Not dropping any hints just yet, although the 0820 Reading seemingly still hadn't arrived, so I joined this, which was a slightly smaller than normal 221136, settling myself in a seat which was reserved twice en-route, although seemingly no-one claimed it for either reservation. We slowed to a crawl past Ambergate, although i didn't think anything of it as the on-time ex-Matlock stopper recieved priority over the late XC.

We eventually arrived into my destination for today around an hour later - Birmingham New Street. Still a dump as ever, and after getting lost leaving the platform and finding the ticket office, it was back down to platform 8 (I think!) for my first winner of the day, 323242, through to Aston, where I stepped back onto 323203 through to Witton for the ex-Walsall. This was running a couple of minutes late, however eventually showed up as winner 323213, and this was taken back to Aston.

I took this opportunity to take a couple of shuttles between Aston and Gravelly Hill before abandoning the CrossCity until later, which ended up being a combination of 323208, 323211, 323215, 323216 on two return trips in total, before returning to Aston and waiting for the Walsall bound service. Annoyingly, someone had done a set swap at New Street, and this meant that I now had 323211 through to Tame Bridge Parkway, having just got off it on a Redditch service 20 minutes previous!

Alighting on time at Tame Bridge, and across the platform via the stupid ramps and road bridge (Note to self, don't do this connection again), and it was down onto winner 170508 through to New Street. My idea here was now to head over to the Snow Hill lines, and so 323201 was taken through to Smethwick Galton Bridge, where after heading up to the High level, I joined 172213 for the semi-fast run through to Stourbridge, to grab 139002 on a hop up the branch and back, before returning to Jewellery Quarter on 172211, before taking 172332 back to The Hawthorns.

I had a bit of time to kill before my next planned move, so I went over to the Metro stop, and took winner 29 back through to JEQ, where I joined 172332 across to Moor Street to join winner 68015 through to Solihull. I'd noted the 165 on the Leamington shuttle, so fornulated a plan to do this thanks to Chiltern's newly upgraded wifi allowance (200mb! I swear you only used to get 20 :lol:)

This plan left me with dud for the day 172332 through to Widney Manor. This was supposed to be a hop to Dorridge, however a guy was refusing to pay for a ticket and delayed us at Solihull, before he eventually gave up and got off the train, soaking the guard with his water bottle in the process. Scumbag.

At Widney Manor, it was now onto 172211 through to Acocks Green, where a slightly late 172337 took me back to Solihull for the quick connection onto 165027 back into Moor Street.

Here I got back onto 172333 up to Smethwick, sitting in 338's carriage replacing the one that decided it preferred to be toast instead of a 172, before hopping down to the low level yet again for 323211 through to Smethwick Rolfe Street, and then taking 323213 back across to Wolverhampton for the ATW into New Street. I was quite confused when this turned up as a single 158, but never the less, it was winner 158820, and this deposited me nicely onto winner 323240 across to Stechford on the International shuttle.

Winner 350 350129 now returned me to Birmingham, where I decided to take a quick break to grab some food, before joining 350120 through to Coseley for yet another trip on 323211 back to Smethwick. I'd earlier formulated a plan to get me the other 68 in, so it was now time to put this plan into action, even having no data to check the process of the plan - this would prove to be almost fatal. 172335 was taken to The Hawthorns, where I returned to Rowley Regis on winner 172336, to join a late running 172220 back to Smethwick. I took a 20 minute breather here, just for the hell of it, before joining winner 172334 through to Solihull.

The 68 had been cancelled, damn. Fortunately, I'd heard the announcement whilst I was using the facilities, and when I came out, 172220 was returning, so I hopped back on this, not willing to spend another half an hour here for the Chiltern after, and so took this 172 through to Jewellery Quarter, for winning tram 31 back to Grand Central.

Oh well, I'd have a nice HST home to finish the day...or so I thought. 220012 was returning me to Sheffield vice HST, however fortunately this vice meant that no reservations were applied, so I easily plonked myself down in a vacant seat through to Sheffield. It was only as we were passing Chesterfield that I thought I'd better check the status of this Voyager, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find it on my requirement list - every cloud and all that!

Upon arrival into Sheffield, it was up to the trams and onto tram 110 back home.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a fun trip, although those shuttle moves must have got very dull, very quickly!

Do you not have much data in your plan then?

Status
Not open for further replies.