• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TC60054's Random Trips Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TC60054

Just admit it, you were watching videos of 185s accelerating away when waiting for a train ;) :P

You're not going to believe me if I say I was telling the truth that that's actually not what happened...!

Well...not quite. I did get quite engrossed into a 185 video on the tram a few weeks ago :oops:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm not entirely sure! Wifi at college must've cut out whilst I was on a break and watching a video on YouTube, it's the only thing I can think of!

You youngsters need to master your technology better! Everyone (well, everyone over 30!) knows to turn off their mobile data when not using it. Same for Bluetooth, location/GPRS and WiFi. Yes I do see some youth that don't turn any of those turn off! Oh, and don't forget to turn the friggin' brightness of the screen down too for an easy way to extend your battery life. You'd be amazed how much that helps.

My mobile data has seen a lot less use lately since I don't do Live Trip Reports or go on Twitter much in general when out and about. Mind you I really should look to see how much of my 1GB I have left for this billing period before I get some tunes on in the morning. Think I'm only halfway through and I've used YouTube a fair whack!

TC60054

You youngsters need to master your technology better! Everyone (well, everyone over 30!) knows to turn off their mobile data when not using it. Same for Bluetooth, location/GPRS and WiFi. Yes I do see some youth that don't turn any of those turn off! Oh, and don't forget to turn the friggin' brightness of the screen down too for an easy way to extend your battery life. You'd be amazed how much that helps.

My mobile data has seen a lot less use lately since I don't do Live Trip Reports or go on Twitter much in general when out and about. Mind you I really should look to see how much of my 1GB I have left for this billing period before I get some tunes on in the morning. Think I'm only halfway through and I've used YouTube a fair whack!

Bluetooth is only ever on when I need to use Airdrop, location is only ever on when I need to use a map because I've gotten lost (Netherfield / Carlton...!). Wifi usually stays on otherwise then I forget to turn it on, though my data has started to go off over the last couple of months to try and conserve a bit of battery life in my phone.

I think one of my main problems is I take too many photos and those that are on my phone then generally end up getting put on Twitter / Facebook, that eats a fairly sizeable chunk of data up right there.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes I did forget to tell you to stop tweeting so many photos when out and about on mobile data. My phone takes photos at over 4MB a pop (4.29MB to be exact on one photo of an HST at Colwall, and yes I did have to look at the Details option on the photo to find out). I know you upload multiple photos a day, so be more selective and perhaps upload photos on WiFi only.

You'll probably notice I'm online so much more when I'm on a bash if I've found WiFi. If I'm low on data (<200MB) I enter a version of Ultra Tight Fistedness and don't really use data much at all.

noddy1878

Established Member
Now I must be he only person you know Tech, who does everything you don't :lol: my wifi is always on (only off if I end up somewhere and it's dodgy and my phone signal is better), Bluetooth always on (needs it for watch, car and now headphones) and gps is mainly set to use only when app opens but there are a few that do periodically use it when it needs too. I get a good two days use out of my phone between charges. The only time I need to charge more frequently is when I'm on a bash! Then I have my portable battery charger so no issues! As for data allowance l, I'm on a unlimited everything SIM only contract for £19 a month which I think is good as I do stream F1 to phone when I'm at work (when on break obviously!) and it's a race weekend.

TC60054

Yes I did forget to tell you to stop tweeting so many photos when out and about on mobile data. My phone takes photos at over 4MB a pop (4.29MB to be exact on one photo of an HST at Colwall, and yes I did have to look at the Details option on the photo to find out). I know you upload multiple photos a day, so be more selective and perhaps upload photos on WiFi only.

You'll probably notice I'm online so much more when I'm on a bash if I've found WiFi. If I'm low on data (<200MB) I enter a version of Ultra Tight Fistedness and don't really use data much at all.

I'll be honest, I don't really pay that much attention :lol:
Though I'm sure trying to be slightly conservative with my data has already gone out of the window, what with todays random 399 sighting and tomorrow's double decker tram action.

Established Member
Bah!
Someone else who's got 68015 in the book.
I'm starting to think it has it in for me ;)
Anyway, an interesting report which makes me want to re-visit that area sooner rather than later.
Thanks.

TC60054

Blimey this got far down the platform...I'm back!

10/06/17

The day started slightly later than planned with tram 104 into town, arriving at the station some four minutes early, before purchasing tickets and heading down onto platform 8 for the Liverpool. Initially, it was rather concerning when the train didn't appear until it's departure time, but all became clear when a blue thing was tagging along on the back. Dud 156470 was to lead 158846 across the Hope Valley, the duo struggling to make back any time all the way into Manchester.

Down into the undercroft now, and with a Metrolink Travelcard purchased, it was onto the first move of the day, which arrived as winner 3008 to Piccadilly Gardens, followed by dud 3085 through to St Peters Square.

Annoyingly, I'd just missed the Shaw service, so this left me a chance to nab a couple of photos, before joining dud 3074 through to Newton Heath and Moston, via the winning track of 2CC. My plan for the morning was to go through "linear" moves to each of the former LYR stations (or as close to as possible!), grab a few photos, return to Oldham for some dinner, and then head off elsewhere. With the former Dean Lane ticked off again, it was now up to dud 3087 through to the first winner shack of the day, Failsworth. A 12 minute fester here, as I wanted to grab a video of 3115 (which I later found to be a winner, oops) taking off towards Rochdale - I assume the track had been grinded, and I just found the noise relatively addictive.

3068 next took me to Hollinwood, where after another six or so minutes, it was onto winner 3026 on to shack 3, Oldham Mumps, where I decided that I preferred the old alignment and found some rails in the road, got bored and joined dud 3027 through to Derker, where after yet another six minutes, it was onto winner 3037 through to Shaw on the terminator.

3056 was next up, to shack 5, but only on a technicality, of Newhey, where a delay had meant I was now waiting for 20 minutes for the next service to shack 6, and the second technical shack score of the day, Milnrow. Even almost eight years since the line was closed for Metrolink conversion, I'm still not used to seeing the northern end of the route double tracked, or the entire thing with wires above it!

3056 returned me to shack 7, Oldham Central, where a trip into Sainsburys was called for, whilst letting the ex-Rochdale go in a hope of getting a required tram on the ex-Shaw a minute after, to pick up dud 3064 - oh well. 3064 was taken through to St Peters Square.

The next plan was to go and clear off one of two lines which, before today, were almost cleared of shacks anyway - Ashton. Dud 3106 was taken straight through to Ashton West, where a 12 minute wait for the tram to return to take me back to Velopark. Winner 3120 was next, on a slightly late service to Clayton Hall, shack 10 for the day, and my last between the City Zone and Ashton.

I'd just missed an Eccles bound service, and the next one was in 20 minutes, and this was dud 3113. Willing to work with the service disruption caused by a medical emergency at Eccles, and knowing that there were quite a number of required trams on the Eccles and MediaCity workings, I decided to start on the Eccles line. 3113 was taken to Pomona, where I joined 3063 across to Anchorage, for winner 3116 to Eccles, for a visit to Morrisons for their facilities, a drink and some more food. This trip cleared my Metrolink mainline track, being blissfully unawares that Eccles services no longer called at MediaCity until Mrs Metrolink woman announced that passengers for MediaCity should change at Harbour City - excellent :lol::lol::lol:

Mission Morrisons completed, and it was back onto 3120 to tick off Weaste, before joining winner 3119 down the line to Langworthy, for winner 3086 to Harbour City. A quick photography session here, and I was about to walk up to Broadway, until realising that the next tram from MediaCity was required, and this would be one of it's last trips before bedtime, so instead it was to Harbour City to take winner 3067 to Salford Quays, for winner 3076 to Exchange Quay, and 3071 further to Deansgate-Castlefield. This left just two winner shacks on the Eccles line left to get, however I was in dire need of the facilities again, so took winner 3073 across to Exchange Square for a trip to the Arndale Centre, emerging just as winner 3104 disappeared off to the distance. 3056 took me back to St Peters Square, where winner and dud 3030/3032 took me to Deansgate, to take double winners 3041/3022 through to Shudehill. Sadly, I just missed an Alty service, and with wanting to catch a train in 40 minutes, the next tram being in 20, and no direct service to Piccadilly, I decided to simply just walk it back.

I'd not boarded the 2020 from Manchester in ages, yet I was still the only person waiting about 6 carriages down the platform, even after a platform alteration and the announcement to say that the train divides here with the front upon arrival going ECS to Ardwick :lol: 185145 took me hack across the Hope Valley, arriving into Sheffield just three minutes late, caused by the split at Manchester.

Tram 104 was to return me home again, although this journey wasn't to be so lucky. Thirteen minutes in, and running bang on time, we'd just recieved the signal to go at Gleadless when some heavily intoxicated bloke that'd just gotten off the tram ran out into the main road. With us now going nowhere, and the driver of the Malin Bridge service that arrived in a couple of minutes later attending to help with first aid, we finally were on the move again some 13 minutes late. Not really something I'd want to see again, although I really feel for the poor bloke driving the car that had hit him.

Onwards and upwards...
Next trip report is expected in 2 weeks.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow you really were busy there! I'd seen a couple of tweets hinting at what you were up to, so I was ready for a tram heavy trip report. You didn't have a lot of luck getting your winners in but nice work on clearing Metrolink for track! I still need the new bit of 2CC but I anticipate doing that later this month. Which I've been saying for ages but it will happen this time!

I need Milnrow and Newhey to clear Metrolink for shacks, one day I'll get it done...

Kite159

Veteran Member
You probably past me at Stockport ;)

Sounded like a productive day in Manchester with lots of tram based action. Poor car driver indeed :(

TC60054

24/06/2017

The day started with a brisk walk to the trams, and taking a slightly more intact tram 110 than it is at the time of typing across to Sheffield Station, where some drinks were purchased and the guy in the booking office successfully confused at the fact that split tickets and rangers actually exist. There was a police cordon outside the station on the roadway, but there wasn't enough time to examine this, as I made my way onto platform 6 for the 0854 to Penzance, as far as Derby.

Stagecoach Supertram 110 by TC60054, on Flickr

It was only after the 0849 London left that I started cursing, as I'd just so happened to glance up at the departure board and noticed the number "5" in place of the number "7" in the train formation...It had seemed that I was the unlucky soul who'd fallen foul to XC01 failing at Plymouth yesterday :roll: oh well, we're not getting the 2203 home tonight then!

Fortunately, the lack of trailer vehicles with powered vehicles at each end of the train was made up for by the appearance of winner 221124. I'd taken a seat in coach B, whilst the TM was being exceptionally apologetic about the loss of coaches E and G, and the loss of some seats in other carriages. About half an hour later, I bailed at Derby, and made my way over to platform 4, only to find myself cursing yet again at the train formation, this Turbostar being formed only of two coaches.

As it turned out, this was booked a three car and every seat on the train was reserved from Derby, or reserved and already occupied. Somehow, the guard managed to make his way down dud 170117 between Derby and Burton, before giving up as the train became crush-loaded. A sigh of relief was breathed as I alighted at Tamworth, and headed to the low level for a fifteen minute wait for dud 350125 to take me to Nuneaton.

I used LM's free wifi to check how bad the connection at Nuneaton would be and to plan a route afterwards, and with this successfully done and an 8 minute connection at Nuneaton, it was a brisk walk over to platform 6 upon alighting. The train was an ex-Leicester stopper, and from experience the loadings on these was very hit and miss - sadly, this was a miss working, as the train was already rather heavily loaded upon boarding of winner 170522. I'd just gotten myself comfy standing in the vestibule when the guard walked down the train and declassified first class, so eventually took a seat in there instead. Bonus :lol:

170522 was taken through to Birmingham, the track being required between Nuneaton and Water Orton, and that left one of my more annoying holes in the CrossCountry network coverage now finally sorted. I had a ten minute connection at Birmingham, so wasted no time in alighting the Turbostar, heading down to platform 9B, up through the red lounge, and straight down onto platform 5B for the arrival of my next train. It seems that I'm finally starting to get used to connecting at New Street without making a massive balls up out of it :lol:

Double winners 158838/158822 appeared, and were taken through to Wolverhampton, with myself deciding to try out the "refurbishment" on the unit, with what felt like a rather loose plug socket. It worked, and so did the wifi, and eventually we arrived at Wolverhampton where I decided to step back onto winner 323209 through to Coseley. This hop was intended as a simple time wasting move so I wasn't expecting three winners to come out of it, let alone a fourth as winner 350121 took me from Coseley back into Birmingham.

London Midland 350121 by TC60054, on Flickr

A quick trip up to Greggs completed, and back to the trains, it was now time to spend too long on yet another Turbostar. This time, it was finally one which had a centre carriage, and green instead of maroon. Winner 170631 was the tractive power on the 1249 to Hereford. This was entirely winning track after University and remained so until it was time to visit my first winner shack of the day, Colwall. A lovely little station I suppose, and the time flew by before double winners 170513/170514 appeared to whisk me off to the next winning shack of Great Malvern.

London Midland 170513 by TC60054, on Flickr Great Western Railway 43148 by TC60054, on Flickr

It was now time to start red penning two new batches - the first of which, provided by my first GWR HST set, a 2+7 set (which, by the way, I never knew existed), powered by 43148/43017 through to the next winner shack of Malvern Link.

Great Western Railway 43017 by TC60054, on Flickr Great Western Railway 158957 by TC60054, on Flickr

Can you tell what it is yet? :lol: next up was winner 158957 through to Worcester Foregate Street. The last time I'd had two thirds of this 158, it was before I'd started recording any haulages, mainly because I would've been around 5 or 6, even if I've somehow remembered some journeys flawlessly, and it was of TransPennine heritage. Now, I'm not too sure what I was expecting out of this 158, but as I'd taken a seat in the former 158771, I was actually quite blown away by the refurbishment of these. The unit was very bright, with comfortable seats, lovely cool air conditioning, and exceptionally clean...even the auto announcer and the PA was perfectly audible! Completely ignoring the heritage of most of GWRs 158s, I think I've found my new favourite 158 subfleet :lol::lol:

Sadly, Worcester came far too soon, and it was time to alight, and to kill my winning streak, as dud 172336 rolled in to take me through to the next winner shack of Droitwich Spa. Here, I took advantage of a +6 to take dud 172211 through to Worcester Shrub Hill, for a fifteen minute connection for double winners 172222/172216 directly through to Birmingham. I was slightly perplexed as to why the timetable gave us 25 minutes from Kings Norton to New Street, before realising that we were on the wrong line at Kings Norton. Excellent, unintentional score of Camp Hill from the Cross City direction :lol:

Arrival into New Street was six minutes late, having been held for numerous late running XC services, and I made my way over to platform 2 to take a very heavily loaded winner 220030 through to Leamington Spa, simply just to clear the track through Kenilworth.

A perfect nine minute connection led to dud 220004 taking me back through to New Street via Tyseley, this being winning track as well between Tyseley and Camp Hill, although again we were held before arrival into New Street.

This was what I didn't want, as I'd only factored in a seven minute connection, and it became all the more real as my connection overtook us as we'd just set off for the third time into platform 7. A very quick connection over to platform 5 left me with double winners 158830/158828 through to Shrewsbury, winning the track from Wolverhampton - just a shame the bloody air con wasn't working!!. Congestion outside SHR held us back, and then ATW decided to put 158830 onto the train that I'd just boarded back to Birmingham...so it was now dud 158830 leading winner 158833 back into Brum, where we'd arrive too late for me to run over to Tesco, so some overpriced station food from Upper Crust would have to do.

The 158 was exceptionally noisy, fights were breaking out between families, and the air con was next to useless, so it was a relief when Birmingham did come!

Sadly, 1E73 is now booked a Voyager, and for some reason it now comes from Bournemouth vice Plymouth, although this meant that I'd somehow made my third winning Voyager of the day, 220016. We'd got plenty of speed up between station calls, and arrived into Sheffield bang on time.

Up to the trams, and it was 118 tasked with getting me home...with slightly less happening than the last time I did this trip :lol:

Stagecoach Supertram 106 by TC60054, on Flickr

Stagecoach Supertram 120 by TC60054, on Flickr

TC60054

01/07/2017 - A wasted trip to West Yorkshire

It's just typical that I left grabbing my last 333 to a time that it's not going to be out in service :oops::roll: I started the day on tram 103, completely oblivious to the lack of 333, arriving at the station just in time to grab a ticket to Wakefield, and straight down onto the platform to join dud 221130 through to Wakefield Westgate. After a very uneventful trip, I went to go and purchase the West Yorkshire Day Rover for the day, before making my way down on the platform to see a winning 150 pass through on a random Leeds to Moorthorpe ECS move. This being noted, I moved onto my next move.

This was dud 322481, through to my first winning shack of the day of Outwood, where I took advantage of the wifi to ask about 333009, which I later found out to not be out thanks to Grand Central's wifi - oh well. The 25 minutes at Outwood went relatively quickly, with having some diverted Barnsley line services to look at in the process, before taking dud 158909 through to Leeds on the stopper. Here, I'd decided the best option would be to try to take a winner through to Wakefield again - and that's what happened, as I jumped on a set being pushed by winner 91 91103 back to Wakefield.

20 minutes later, and the move paid off, as winner 150215 appeared to take me back through to Leeds. I knew there was a decent connection onto a Selby stopper here (I was doing today almost blind thanks to somehow being out of data), and so next it was onto dud 150228 through to East Garforth, in the hope that there was a decent connection off of this.

Fortunately, there was, and it was onto a Huddersfield service, which gave me a good chance to go and grab in one of the black holes I had in my shack coverage. I was slightly more annoyed to see 144019 turn up to take me all the way through to Low Moor, arriving some 49 minutes later.

I took a short PNB here, purchasing a drink from the local newsagent, and finding a very reasonably priced but very good value for money chippy, devouring this on my way back to the station. I had a choice here - I could go straight through to Leeds on what was basically guaranteed to be a dud unit, or change at Bradford. I opted for the latter, letting a rather heavily loaded 158 pass on the Leeds service, to board 180101 to Bradford Interchange - although granted this move was done mainly for the free wifi :lol:

From Bradford, I took 158755 through to Leeds, where a change was made onto the Airedale and Wharfedale lines. My first unit on here was dud 333005, taken through to Steeton & Silsden, leaving just one shack on the Airedale lines left, which annoyingly was in zone 6 and out of the WYDR boundary. From Steeton, it was dud 333016 through to Bradford, and then back out to shack 4, Baildon, for a trip on dud 333012 the short distance back to Shipley. Finishing the Wharfedale routes was my next aim, so dud 322485 (no doubt deputising for 333009!) took me through to Guiseley for 333002 through to Ben Rhydding. Mission accomplished, and it was back onto 333002 a whole 15 minutes later back into Leeds, where after a trip to Sainsburys, took a rather busy 150113 through to Burley Park. My shack requirements on the Harrogate line are dire, although most of these are again out of the WYDR area although being classed as in the West Yorkshire zone boundaries.

I was relatively upset with my next move back into Leeds, this being formed of duds 142022/142084. A quick connection at Leeds, and it was 158757 now, all the way out to Micklefield. I made a hasty retreat over to the Leeds bound platform, which wasn't quite so full of chavs, where I settled down for 25 minutes to listen to some top quality 185 action, before returning onto Leeds on 144019, again.

Upon reaching Leeds, I noticed that my train to Sheffield was now on platform 10, which meant that it was ex Manchester. Bearing this in mind, I was hoping for a 3 vice 2 move, which, I suppose I got, although I was more so hoping for a big 158. Cue the look of dismay when a big 144 appears round the corner and makes a bee line for platform 10. C*$&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

144022 was to take me through to Sheffield on the 1945 semi-fast. I got the GPS speedo out from Wakefield, and was rather surprised with some of the results, having average speeds of 44.2mph (60.6 max), 54.7mph (78.0 max) and 30.9mph (54.3 max) between respective stops. I was more amazed when we reached into Meadowhall 4 minutes early, even though the usual early arrival into Barnsley didn't happen, although hitting Ecclesfield emergency crossover at 70mph on a Pacer isn't something I want to repeat again in a hurry.

Up to the trams now, and with the rare sight of a Herdings Park bound tram out of the way, and a shiny tram 123 heading into the city centre, it was back onto tram 103 to take me home, ready to spend the day on heritage trams the next day.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Apart from a lot of pacer action sounded like a good day. Harsh on 333009 being in hiding for you.

A good ticket to grab those North Yorkshire stations (I assume Cononley), plus on the Harrogate line is one of those £10 Northern day tickets (or a Friends & Family Pass if you know a friendly guard)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Considering the 333 didn't produce you sure did well, as I assume you need very little in terms of winners in Yorkshire.

A good fun day in an area I really need to spend a few days conquering, way too many needs in Yorkshire for me!

I need Cononley too, so I feel the pain TC, one day...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Considering the 333 didn't produce you sure did well, as I assume you need very little in terms of winners in Yorkshire.

A good fun day in an area I really need to spend a few days conquering, way too many needs in Yorkshire for me!

I need Cononley too, so I feel the pain TC, one day...

You also need Skipton :p

Cletus

Established Member
According to the long term out of use units thread in the Rolling Stock forum 333009 has been out for quite a while.

I thought 009 was a christmas tree for the rest of the fleet? I'm sure it's sat at NL sans doors for well over a year now?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I believe it was back in service a couple of months ago, but appears to have been stopped once again.

It was, and its return to service caused a bit of a stir in the MU bashers world. I hadn't heard it was out of action mind. Doesn't bother me as 333009 is happily dud. Just to prove the point, I had a look at what I've had it on on RailMiles:

4 journeys in total, with 29mi 14ch travelled in 41m.

06/06/2012 10:40 Leeds to Frizinghall
06/06/2012 11:14 Frizinghall to Saltaire
29/07/2013 10:10 Steeton & Silsden to Crossflatts
29/07/2013 13:25 Guiseley to Leeds

:p;):lol:<D

TC60054

22/07/17

Now, I'm sure most of you can imagine how disastrously my last Cheshire Day Ranger went - if not, it's a couple of pages back or you can find the moves for it here; http://60054.railmiles.me/journeys/?date=20170311

Bearing this in mind, I was very reluctant to do another one so soon, although decided it was time to bite the bullet and do it. I started off with tram 122 into the city centre, to queue in a rather large queue at the ticket office. Tickets were bought shortly after, and it was over to platform 8 for the Liverpool service, which was formed of 158854/158858 - even if I did seem to be under the impression that it was 158806 trailing. I seemed to spend most of this journey asleep, although woke up helpfully on arrival into Manchester, where I bailed. I was hoping for a winning 156 on the Blackpool service, but no dice, so dud 175104 was taken through to Warrington Bank Quay.

My initial plan was actually to go through to Chester, however there were no decent connections, so biting the bullet and praying for a Voyager down to Crewe, it was now down to winner 390045. I'd factored in a +5 "cross-platform"(ish) connection, which wasn't looking very likely as we left Warrington four minutes late, so positioning myself as far forwards as I could in standard (incidentally the unreserved carriage!), and preparing myself for a quick dash, this wasn't actually required as we managed to arrive into Crewe right time.

I wandered over to my next move to Kidsgrove, formed of 350122. I say Kidsgrove very lightly, as the emergency brakes were applied as we were "approaching Alsager" - I must say, I was rather confused, considering we weren't that close at the time, although we did manage to come to a stop over an open level crossing, before everything became clear. We sat there for about 25 minutes, before crawling over to the next signal, and arriving into Alsager half an hour late, where the train was terminated.

Fortunately, the "operational incident" / "signalling problems" meant that the Crewe bound 350 was being held for passengers off of the London bound 350 (logical, I know!), although this then became clear that it was so people didn't have to wait on a station with minimal facilities for half an hour for the same train to return. Knowing that this had thrown my plan out of the window, I jumped onto dud 350101 back into Crewe, where I launched a new plan.

This also went out of the window, as I decided to check what unit I'd have had if I'd have left the LM at Alsager to come back to Crewe on that. This was winner 153374, which was "promptly" taken through to Longport, although this move ended up becoming Kidsgrove, as some exceptionally slow running coupled to a loss of path at Kidsgrove meant that I would end up with a minus connection at Longport. I crossed onto platform 4, and waited, and hoped, for the "missing link" back to Crewe, though sadly this was not to be the case, and dud 153321 was the move instead.

With the decent connection at Whitchurch now gone, it was onto platform 9 to hope that a winning 150 was up in Crewe this week for the Chester shuttles, and indeed it was, as 150282 took me through to Chester. My options had become limited again, so I opted for a leap into Liverpool on Merseyrail...via the three shacks that I still needed on the Chester line.

The next few moves were;
507005 Chester to Eastham Rake
507031 Eastham Rake to Spital
507006 Spital to Green Lane
508134 Green Lane to Liverpool Lime Street

I took this opportunity to have some dinner, and pick up some supplies from Tesco in Liverpool city centre, before returning to Lime Street to see my next planned move disappearing off. Oh well - winner 390124 it would be to Crewe - although the upside of this move meant that although I wouldn't be getting Hartford in today, I'd be getting some much needed electrickery for my mobile telecommunications device.

Before departure, I'd noticed my last Northern 150/2 arriving in on the back of a Pacer, so noting this diagram to chase it, I was sufficiently disappointed to say that it had a 2 minute turnaround (that, from coach U on platform 7 to platform 1 in minimal time was not possible), and it was then ECS to Newton Heath - oh well, another time.

I'm not the biggest fan of Pendolinos, although I'd never quite noticed the tilt on them as well as I did on that journey, and that was pretty awesome, it must be said. Arrival into Crewe was prompt, and so I decided to take the 1749 Holyhead through to Chester, having seen that there was a decent connection onto an STP Holyhead to Crewe ATW service. "Okay", my brain thought, as I waded onto a wedged winning 221108, for yet more well needed electrickery (the charging port on my phone isn't quite working properly at the moment, which means that I'm having trouble charging it from my portable charger more so than a socket, even though in that is very hard to do and keep it charging!).

Across the footbridge upon arrival at Chester, after squeezing my way off the Voyager of course, and it was over to platform 4 for the train back to Crewe, where a nice little surprise of winner 67022 pulled in shortly after. The first time I'd had one of the ATW loco hauled sets, and in the way of MK3s, they're not too bad I suppose!

A right time arrival into Crewe meant that I was able to rush across the entire station from platform 12 onto platform 1, to take 323239 over to Piccadilly on the stopper. Arrival into Piccadilly was yet again smack on time, which was leading me to think that this trip was slightly more successful than the last, with the disruption only being clumped in the middle of the day instead of following me around instead. 175111 was taken through to Manchester Airport, noting 175010 and 175011 (one of those being required, aargh!!) working a Chester bound service on the opposite platform.

A half an hour connection ensued, watching 185104 and 185126 arriving in at 2029, with half of it ready to form the 2029 Blackpool - an impressive turnaround on it though, it must be said, even though it was delayed further by quite a large amount of passengers thinking the Sheffield portion was the Blackpool :lol:

185104 was taken through to Sheffield on the 2047. Amazingly, we'd left on time even though the train was only opened at 2046, and we even managed to stay on time (even RT off Stockport, which is damn impressive!) all the way up until the Sheffield end of the Valley of no Hope, where we'd caught up with the stopping service, again.

It was now time for the fun to begin, as I walked up onto the tram stop at 2216 and awaited a tram. It wasn't long before a Halfway tram turned up - this was the 2158, and was completely rammed, so I let it past with the board saying there was another Halfway tram due in 2 minutes. Alas, this wasn't to be the case, so I instead boarded recently returned to traffic 123 back to Gleadless, for the walk home from there. The joys of Herdings services during Tramlines!

(My tram, the 2218 Halfway, was seen running only half an hour late, so...!)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a disappointing day overall, but some good bits in there. Everyone seems to be scoring 67022 lately, been dud for too long here! :lol:

High time you got a new phone though!

TC60054

14/08 - Scottish Adventure, Part 1

A well overdue trip out on the railway, perfectly coinciding with my birthday - what isn't to like?

The day started at 8am, with a walk up to the tram stop for tram 125 into the city centre. Cue a "Why are you going so late?" from some people, what they weren't aware of is I was meeting a mate who'd finished work that morning at 0911 on the train at Sheffield - that's why! Soon enough, although it felt like an eternity, 185119 turned up, taking us through to Manchester Piccadilly, for a seventy odd minute connection.

This was a perfect opportunity to go for a wander before being stuck on a train for in excess of three hours, so a quick walk down to Piccadilly Gardens and back for the 1115 train was taken, and soon enough we were on a packed platform 14. It had turned out that a Blackpool train was cancelled, so the next move was very full, although no problems were had getting our seats in first class on dud 350410. I was hoping for a low-miler, such as 401, but I suppose we can't have everything!

The weather for the run up the WCML was very patchy - it'd switch between both rain and sun, though this didn't detract from the views going through the Lakes, or up through Beattock for that matter! The FC host made sure that we were very well kept on the run up with drinks - until the trolley ran out of water that is!

Just over three hours later, and a four minute early arrival into Glasgow Central was had, it was now over to check into the hotel, which was done sharpish, even if one of the lifts were out of order and we were on the ninth floor! Minor technical issues over, and we took a walk over to Queen Street, purchased the ticket for the afternoon and set around having a quick ride around. The aim of this trip was in no way to win as many units as possible, it must be said, but to have a stab at clearing a bit extra track around the Glasgow area.

Connections checked, and with nothing decent up in the High Level, it was down to the Low Level, for required 318269, with half-dud 320413 on the back, the 320 having been the traction for a trip up the St Albans Abbey branch in 2015! Classing it as a winner simply just for the missing carriage and the different number, a quick trip over to Partick was taken on this duo, before using the underbridge to board winner 320317 back to Glasgow Central.

Six minutes later and we were back at Glasgow Central, with a connection planned, although this quickly went out of the window when we took a wrong turning whilst connecting between the low and high level platforms - whoops! Plan B was put into action instead, and we were soon aboard the 1550 Cathcart Loop service, formed of double winners 314206/314201 - my second winning class of the day. This train took us around anti-clockwise and back into Glasgow, a whole 30 minutes and 8 miles later.

With a bit of time left before our next planned move, I went to see what could be done in this time, and noticed a perfectly timed leap over to Paisley - so we took this. Winner 380006 was our chariot to Paisley Gilmour Street on a fast service, before crossing over to platform 1 there, where winner 314210 turned up running a couple of minutes late (it wasn't supposed to connect with this, but a fast service from Ayr instead) on a stopping service through to Glasgow - excellent, an extra 314 into the bag.

We next connected onto platform 11, where a rather interesting sight of 230m of 156 on one platform was waiting for us - although the front six were only on our next move - the 1721 East Kilbride - aka "that express one". These were 156508/156436/156430, taking me up to a total of five Scottish 156s which have had the red pen treatment. We arrived into winner shack East Kilbride two minutes late, caused by a late train coming off the single line section at Busby.

It was now time for a fester, as the decision was taken to grab in an extra unit on the way back to Glasgow before we headed over to Spoons for tea, or "dinner" as everyone else seems to call it. It soon started raining, so shelter was taken at the shack, before a soggy 156504 arrived in to take us back over to Glasgow.

Yes, I know it's not much, but as I say, the main aim of this trip wasn't quite to spend every waking minute out on the trains or trying to get as many units or shacks in as is humanly possible.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I call it tea for my evening meal too!

Quite a productive afternoon there, although the lift failure must have been more than frustrating! Looking forward to what happened next :)

Status
Not open for further replies.