• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TEA bogie tanker weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering about the label plate on the side of a Murco tank for example. It shows something like 76t / 24t tare. Could someone clarify if the oil cargo carried weighs 24 tons or is that the wagon weight and it actually carries 76 tons of oil? If so I have been wrong by thinking all along that it was a very heavy tanker and carries just 24 tons of liquid cargo. I just read somewhere about freight on the Lickey requiring a banker loco if over a certain weight, mentioning 1075 tons for a class 60. The empty Westerleigh to Linsey tanks would be way more than this if the 20 or so tanks weighed 76t each.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
24t tare means the weight of the vehicle empty so it's 24 tonnes empty and 76t maximum (at least I assume that is the maximum loaded weight).

Old Timer

Established Member
24 tonne tare indicates the maximum empty weight of the wagon.

The 76 tonne indicates the load that can be conveyed, thus giving a Gross Loaded Weight (GLW) of 100 tonne, although I recall that these are actually weighed at 102 tonnes GLW.

Ah, right. So there is a vast difference between empty and full rakes then. It explains why, in the past, I used to sometimes see class 37's taking 20 or so empty TEA's down to Robeston, at a time when 47's were used to bring fully loaded TEA's up from Robeston with what I think was 11 or 12 in tow maximum. The 60's here, will handle 28 full tanks in contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.