• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TEA-OCC test

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLeeds

Has anyone out there done this test recently? I just took the assessment day and this was the only module I failed on. I would like to know more about it because I dont really understand why I failed (the OPC are being very cagey about giving feedback. All I have is 'pass' or 'fail' for each). I want to take it again in 6 months time.

Anyway I did the TEA-OCC (also known as the phone book test) and although hard thought I did ok. Obviously not well enough. But I was wondering if I misunderstood it. On the first version (without the bleeps) we had to find plumbers with 2 symbols of a certain type - but when flying through the entries as fast as possible it seemed like they were all plumbers? I was wondering if I was wasting time checking that the entries were actually plumbers. If I would have taken it as a given that all entries were plumbers anyway, it would have been much easier. I found myself wondering if Dyno-Rod was a plumber or not?

Similar on the 2nd phone book (with bleeps) - it seemed that all entries were restaurants but again I was trying to check this (and count those goddamn bleeps!)

As I didnt finish either test I am guessing I failed on speed. But was I wasting time checking that the entries were either plumbers or restaurants? Would all entries have been the same type anyway so all I needed was to find the right symbols?

If anyone can shed any light on the TEA-Occ test requirements that would be great.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Louby

??? I remember searching symbols

Me too, you had 4 different matching symbol pairs
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has anyone out there done this test recently? I just took the assessment day and this was the only module I failed on. I would like to know more about it because I dont really understand why I failed (the OPC are being very cagey about giving feedback. All I have is 'pass' or 'fail' for each). I want to take it again in 6 months time.

Anyway I did the TEA-OCC (also known as the phone book test) and although hard thought I did ok. Obviously not well enough. But I was wondering if I misunderstood it. On the first version (without the bleeps) we had to find plumbers with 2 symbols of a certain type - but when flying through the entries as fast as possible it seemed like they were all plumbers? I was wondering if I was wasting time checking that the entries were actually plumbers. If I would have taken it as a given that all entries were plumbers anyway, it would have been much easier. I found myself wondering if Dyno-Rod was a plumber or not?

Similar on the 2nd phone book (with bleeps) - it seemed that all entries were restaurants but again I was trying to check this (and count those goddamn bleeps!)

As I didnt finish either test I am guessing I failed on speed. But was I wasting time checking that the entries were either plumbers or restaurants? Would all entries have been the same type anyway so all I needed was to find the right symbols?

If anyone can shed any light on the TEA-Occ test requirements that would be great.

It was the symbols you were supposed to find ?

JCLeeds

Yes, I had to search for sets of 2 symbols, eg ** or OO. There were 4 pairs of symbols on a card and we had to find them on a sheet.

But the sheet was lots of 'phonebook' style entries for businesses; in the first test, we were looking for plumbers. I thought we had to find plumbers with the symbols next to them - but I wasnt sure that all the entries would be plumbers. So I was checking that the entries were actually plumbers, as well as checking that they had the right symbols, before I marked them.

I guess if they were all already plumbers, I was wasting my time checking that and I should just have been searching for the symbols? Can anyone confirm if that is the case?

If so I would be much more confident of passing next time as the test is easier than I thought.

Did you guys pass this test?

Louby

Yes, I had to search for sets of 2 symbols, eg ** or OO. There were 4 pairs of symbols on a card and we had to find them on a sheet.

But the sheet was lots of 'phonebook' style entries for businesses; in the first test, we were looking for plumbers. I thought we had to find plumbers with the symbols next to them - but I wasnt sure that all the entries would be plumbers. So I was checking that the entries were actually plumbers, as well as checking that they had the right symbols, before I marked them.

I guess if they were all already plumbers, I was wasting my time checking that and I should just have been searching for the symbols? Can anyone confirm if that is the case?

If so I would be much more confident of passing next time as the test is easier than I thought.

Did you guys pass this test?

Yes I passed back in feb
Concentrate on the symbols that's what you have to count whilst counting the beeps, the point of the test is to see if you can search for info whilst listening to something else

Saltire

When I took this test I assumed the pages were from the "Yellow Pages" so listings are by type of service so I took it that all entries were the same so didn't bother checking to see if they were all plumbers or restaurants - must have assumed correctly as I passed.

rey89iceman

I did the same as you on this one.

I was looking to make sure they were plumbers but as previously said, all plumbers would be together anyway and I quickly realised this so quickly went through and circled all the double symbols.

You will be fine next time.

Polar

Yep sorry to say but u wasted your time on looking at whether they are plumbers or not!
All you have to do is circle all the matching pairs whether its AA BB etc the rest is completely irrelevant.
All i can add us if you are not 100% sure what to do ask before the test starts the invigilators are there to help.
Good luck next time

Midge

Yep sorry to say but u wasted your time on looking at whether they are plumbers or not!
All you have to do is circle all the matching pairs whether its AA BB etc the rest is completely irrelevant.
All i can add us if you are not 100% sure what to do ask before the test starts the invigilators are there to help.
Good luck next time

I agree, I happened on a thread on here the night before my assessment and someone had said just look for the symbols. You only get 45seconds I think so if you started reading the text you probably didn't stand much chance.

SPADTrap

Established Member
The only relevancy of plumbers/restaurants or whatever is that it is there to catch you out. Just look for the pairs of symbols.

alex595

yes the plumbers are irrelevant....it's the 2 matching shapes which you are looking out for

I did this assessment today and you are correct.

The list of numbers are all plumbers. You are just looking for the 2 of the same symbols.
Circle Circle
Cross Cross
Star Star

I am not sure what the last one was though.

JCLeeds

Ok guys thanks for that. At least I know where I went wrong and am confident I will pass next time. Pressure on though - 2 x 45 sec tests, and final chance - fail and its game over, last 2 years all wasted!

red2005

Ok guys thanks for that. At least I know where I went wrong and am confident I will pass next time. Pressure on though - 2 x 45 sec tests, and final chance - fail and its game over, last 2 years all wasted!

you'll be fine mate! but remember communication is a key part of the job and the assessments as well!.....if you are unsure or need clarification just ask!.....if that is all that you failed on and that is the reason why next time you should fly through! you won't be the first or the last to make the error that you did!

Status
Not open for further replies.