• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Teacher wants class to travel on child tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Didn't child tickets on the railways used to end at age 14? Or is that my poor memory?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alastair

How very sad.

It's bad enough that some people were so quick to condemn the teacher (and in some cases in very harsh terms) without knowing if they were actually doing anything wrong. But for someone to refuse to apologise simply because they're not satisfied there was an absence of means rea... :roll:

Agreed,and it would also be interesting to hear again from pjnathanail, the OP,why this thread was started off in the first place, when apparently the whole thing is based on a misunderstanding of the rules relating to 16 & 17 year olds on group tickets.....

richw

Veteran Member
I'd imagine the teacher spoke with somebody on the railway when purchasing the tickets, or has done it many times before so was well aware of the rules.

PermitToTravel

Established Member

Agreed,and it would also be interesting to hear again from pjnathanail, the OP,why this thread was started off in the first place, when apparently the whole thing is based on a misunderstanding of the rules relating to 16 & 17 year olds on group tickets.....

Because the OP didn't know about the rule in question, much like almost everybody else? It's not exactly publicised

ECML180

How very sad.

It's bad enough that some people were so quick to condemn the teacher (and in some cases in very harsh terms) without knowing if they were actually doing anything wrong. But for someone to refuse to apologise simply because they're not satisfied there was an absence of means rea... :roll:

What am I expected to apologise for?

If you read through the threat you would notice that the post you quote was my first post here. Others may have condemned the teacher but I haven't. If you're so keep on these apologies may I ask for one?

pjnathanail

OK, I wasn't expecting such a number of responses, but I will try and respond to them as best I can.

Firstly, the tickets have not yet been purchased. The teacher has informed me today that the tickets he is looking at cost around £30, and looking at BRFares shows a ticket from our local station to London (return) priced at £32 for a child. The teacher said he thought the tickets were valid because we were still students, which may just be a mistake or may be this additional validity described in the manual which has been misinterpreted/lost in translation along the way.

I was unaware of this extended validity, and I am pleased I have discovered it. It does of course call into question the age-old problem of information being contained within the manual and nowhere else, and AFAIK none of the TOC group travel pages I have looked at give this information, so the general public are highly unlikely to ever know about it except in circumstances like this. How many ticket office/on train staff know about it I wonder?

The teacher asked me to try and find good deals on tickets for him, knowing I have good railway knowledge. When I told him of the high cost he said he would look at alternatives. After telling the class they would travel on child tickets, my friend then approached me to ask for advice, as he understood that he should not travel on a child ticket.

From the advice in the manual, is it only group tickets that have this extended validity, or all tickets if in a group of ten or more?

Last edited:

jkdd77

So, if this is correct, will we see an apology from any of the (approx) 10 posters who have condemned this teacher without knowing the facts.

I for one am happy to publicly apologise for making an incorrect and ignorant post, albeit that it was certainly not directed specifically at teachers (a difficult job which I greatly respect and one which I would struggle to do myself), and it illustrates the common problem of opaque/ unclear rail ticket conditions more generally (as also shown by the thread on 'The Key' smartcard conditions).

On further reflection, I also think that, assuming the OP's friend is a pupil at the school, that person would have been better advised to take up any query informally with the teacher concerned rather than rushing in with a formal complaint (which would, of course, have been unfounded in this case, and might have led to embarrassment for all concerned).

One tiny proviso: I assume from the original post that it is a "lower sixth"/ "Year 12" class. Whilst it is very rare indeed for pupils in the English educational system to "repeat" or be "held back" a year, it can happen on occasion (I personally know a person who repeated a year). If any of the pupils are indeed 18, then the "child" rate would not apply, and it may be worth the teacher discreetly checking the roll, or asking any 18-year-old pupils to make themselves known privately.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
It would need to be specific group travel tickets.

If the TOC being used offers GroupSave, then it should be borne in mind that GroupSave 4 is the same price as a child ticket anyway.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I was unaware of this extended validity, and I am pleased I have discovered it. It does of course call into question the age-old problem of information being contained within the manual and nowhere else, and AFAIK none of the TOC group travel pages I have looked at give this information, so the general public are highly unlikely to ever know about it except in circumstances like this. How many ticket office/on train staff know about it I wonder?

It is mentioned on the Virgin site at least, albeit hidden away in the terms and conditions.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/group-travel/terms-conditions/

SussexMan

These T & Cs seem poorly worded!

• We will try to accommodate the whole group on one train but may ask you to split your group over 2 (or more trains) if you have a large group or you are travelling at busy times.
  • One ticket will be issued for the whole group and you must travel together at all times.

transmanche

Established Member
What am I expected to apologise for?
I didn't say that you did.

If you read through the threat you would notice that the post you quote was my first post here. Others may have condemned the teacher but I haven't.
I did notice that. Which is why, when responding to your point you'll have noticed that I didn't refer to you. After expressing my general sadness at your point of view, I merely discussed it in general terms.

If you're so keep on these apologies may I ask for one?
I can't apologise for you misreading my post... but I am sorry if you were offended by it. But as we're in an apologetic mood, perhaps you'd like to apologise to me too...

Last edited:

Veteran Member
From the advice in the manual, is it only group tickets that have this extended validity, or all tickets if in a group of ten or more?

Only group tickets AFAIK. For offers like Groupsave the normal rule applies.
(The rules date from the time when child fares ended at 14, and without them the members of many a School Railway Society would have been seriously out of pocket - I can only speak for one, whose identity you may be able to deduce!)

The group travel staff of the TOC concerned will be fully aware of the rules and you should advise the member of staff to contact them ASAP.
(BTW - I am sure you won't, despite what has been said on here, but never go to higher authority before talking with the member of staff concerned.)

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
It should be noted that for 16 & 17 year olds to count as children in the way described above then the tickets must be pre booked via the train company's group travel department. Buying tickets yourself in the normal manner does not suffice.

I know someone who recently did a group travel booking with East Coast and they offered him a wide variety of cheap Advance tickets which overall saved him a fair bit.

Clip

Established Member
Yet another? I must have missed the last one. :shock:

I think I did too.

kwvr45 makes a very valid point here too, so I dont think there is any need for anyone to apologise.

Status
Not open for further replies.